graphics cards help

broona

What's the rest of your system like, what games will you be playing, and what resolution will you be gaming at?

Out of those cards, the 8600GT is the best, but only because the others are woeful! :rotfl:

accyuklad

Banned
i got widescreen 19inch and i after playing wheelman games like that

found another 512MB SAPPHIRE HD2900 PRO PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD dont no if thats good
Radeon Sapphire X1950 Pro 512MB Graphics Card PCI-E

broona

Download GPU-Z and run it, there's a 'Bus Interface' box which will either say AGP or PCI-E.

And none of those cards will play Wheelman on medium to high settings on a 19" monitor I'm afraid!

broona

guessing i would after spend big money to get a good graphics card i got pci
PCI and not PCI-E? You sure?

Download a copy of CPU-Z too, and it should tell you the model of your motherboard.

accyuklad

Banned
well it be pointless buying a cheap graphics card then because i want decent graphics which will cost nearly £100 which i might aswel save for ps3

well it be pointless buying a cheap graphics card then because i want decent graphics which will cost nearly £100 which i might aswel save for ps3
Is that a question or a statement?

If you run the test as asked above, we can look at GPUs for you. £100 for gaming gets you a hell of a lot more than it did, take for instance the PCI-E 4850 (this was £130 a few months ago as my mate bought one, and now they are £90), which should be more than enough for high speed gaming at 19" resolutions (assuming 1280 x 1024 max)

HD-485X-YDDC - 512MB XFX HD 4850 XXX, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), 2100MHz GDDR3, GPU 650MHz, 800 Cores, 2x DLDVI-I/ HDTV, HDCP - Scan.co.uk

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
well i gunna after save as i got a crap 250watt psu aswel lol
Is the power supply a full ATX power supply or a micro ATX one. If the latter it will be hard to get a powerful one and could limit your choice in graphics cards. The alarm bell rang as you state it is only 250 watts. Most ATX power supplies are 300 and more.

broona

Which 450w PSU are you going to order? Some of them won't be an upgrade from your 250w, you need to get a decent branded one.

There's no point in going for more than 512mb of memory on a low end card like the 8600GT either, it just isn't powerful enough to use it. Higher memory configurations only start becoming useful on cards like the HD4850/GTS250, etc, and even then, only at really high resolutions or with lots of AA/AF applied.

What's your budget for an upgrade?

accyuklad

Banned
budget max is £100 so im guessing i need more then 450w

guessin my best bet is going to a actual shop and get some gaming info

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom