1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

graphics card?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by watchinthewheel, Aug 6, 2005.

1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im looking to get a new graphics card and im not sure what to do? im looking primeraly at the radeon 9800 series atm, i will be using the card to play games (half life 2 standard) and also watch videos etc. there are a LOT of versions of the 9800 though and i dunno which would be the best for me. the xt seems the best technicaly but its really really expensive and i dont think i would use it enough to warrant the price. the all-in-wonder sounds good, especialy having the tv tuner with it (i was thinking of a tv tuner upgrade later anyway) but is the card good enough for the price? also is it worth paying extra and getting the 256 version and not the 128?

any answers to those questions would be great im kinnda at a dead end atm. :lease:

2. phunkey_monkeh

phunkey_monkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just bought a brand new 9800 Pro for £72 from ebay.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,484
    It depends on your budget really. If the 9800 is the best you can afford then go with it, but for gaming you could really do with something like a 6600gt/6800gt or x800/x850.

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well my budget is pretty low tbh, im a student and only have a part time job. i heard the 9800 was awsome on the benchmarks for hl2 though? and the main game i play with decent graphics is cs source so thats the main attraction of the 9800 for me. which of the 9800 family should i go for though? is it worth splashing out on an xt or will a 128mb 9800 be fine? should i go for pro or not, is the difference that great?

unfortunatly all the reviews i have read just say the 9800 is great but not which member of the family is the best for performance and value.

thanks for the replies :)

5. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the difference is down to clockspeed, SE< no suffix<Pro<XT. I suggest you go to tomshardware and checkout the VGA charts. See how fast you HL2 to run and then decide on available prices whether the extra is worth. I myself picked up a 9800XT 256 MB for £100 or so.

Before you decide have a think about your screen res. For example if your sceen is only 1024x768 you won't have a problem, if its 1600x1200 you might have one, but... as you are on a budget you probably can't afford a 1600x1200 screen anyway.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/vga_charts.html

to see what I mean about resolution see

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/vga-charts-pcie-05.html

At 1024x768, the cards all run at around 70-75fps
    At 1280x1024 the X800 starts to look better at 75 frames to a 9800 56 frames
    Go to AA/AF to give a smoother result and you see that a 9800 won't really cope as its now at <30 frames, but the 9800XT will at 40 frames.

So basically if all you have is 1024x768 cheapo 17" LCD you can skimp and use a 9800 - just. if you have 1280x768 17/19" LCD consider a 9800XT or a X800. If you have a large LCD/CRT doing 1600/1200 then the X800 is you rminimum.

Cheers

Rajiv

6. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot for that reply, thats was what i wanted to know. iv got a decent monitor 19"acer lcd it can run up to very high 2000+ res, i have my desktop at 1280x1024 and usualy play games at 1280x768 not because of the screen but because i have a radeon 9600 atm and it cant cope higher than that, when i upgrade ill be pushing it as high a possible 1600x1200? would the 9800pro be able to run hl2 at a framerate over 60 at that res with all options turned up full? or would i need an xt? the rest of my system can handle it (p4-3ghz 1gb ram) my atm my card is holding it back.

7. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have a 9800 pro AIW and it plays HL2 @ 1280 x 1024 OK on medium quality with no AA or AF enabled, but this card is now getting on for 3 years old, suggest you look at the new ATI x800 GT just released, I myself have jumped over to Nvidia.

8. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  9. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow thanks again rdhir thats exactly the info i wanted, nice one :)

31fps isnt too bad i suppose with everything on full, but i didnt realies what a HUGE difference there is between the 9800's and the x series! i thought it would be minor but apparently not. looks like ill have to save up a while and get an xsomething.

one thing it doesnt say though is if they used pci-e for the newer cards and agp for the older ones, my mobo isnt pci-e and i dont really want to have to upgrade that too, i cant afford it. i know you can get the x800 in agp versions but would that limit its output dramaticaly? i know pci-e is substantialy faster especialy when the card is workign at its maximum, so if i get an agp x800 would it be substantialy better than a 9800xt? especialy concidering they are about twice the price?

10. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No don't bother. PCI-e makes no difference with todays cards, it might possibly make some difference with somewhere past 7800nvidia. Suggest you save your pennies. I would keep an eye on daily deals from ariapc, scan, ebuyer, microdirect. If you are lucky a good X800 price will turn up, just snap it up when it appears. That's how I got my 9800XT/256MB for about £40 below the normal price at the time.

My screen is only 1280x768 so I didn't care for higher res (but then it is a 50" plasma so it has its own advantages:D)

11. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    50" PLASMA! you lucky luck lucky lucky lucky git i want one! :p

im glad to hear pci-e inst that big a deal, i think im going to go for an x800xl it gives about 60fps on hl2 with full detail, and that about all i will ask of it. cant wait to play without the goddam stuttering i get with my 9600 atm.

thanks for the shop reccomendations i have never tried scan or aripac, ill have a look oh and im trying dabs aswell, they have some decent prices, especialy on returns/refurbished cards.

thanks again for the advice. :smashin: