1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by cabster21, May 19, 2005.

1. cabster21

cabster21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read on here that a 8X AGP card will fit into a 4X slot, But i have also read that as the voltage are different, that putting a 8X which i think is 0.8 into a 4X, which i think is 1.5v or something, can damage the whole system. Does anyone know for sure? The board is a couple years old (MS-6382E) And I am upgrading it for someone. It currently has a Geforce4 MX420 64MB. I can't find anything about this board, so does anyone know if this will work adding a 8X? Thanks.

2. monkeyspank

monkeyspank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which card are you looking at bud?

3. cabster21

cabster21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    really anything under £150. With at least 128mb. no pci express.

4. monkeyspank

monkeyspank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, I should have asked for more specs... What is the rest of the system looking like? There isn;t any point getting a really powerful gfx card if the rest of the system is going to let it down.

You can get a 9800pro for about £80 now if you shop around. One of those would work fine in a 4X slot and I'm guessing that the rest of the system isn't cutting edge, so it's possible that anything over a 9800pro will be limited by the rest of the system.

Or a 6600GT would be a bit quicker and also fine in a 4X slot.

Depends what else you have really bud.

5. cabster21

cabster21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6600GT was what i was looking at. It's running a Athlon XP 2000. With 512mb DDRRAM. Though The memory may go to 1GB. The core speed of the xp2k is 1.67ghz. Do you think this is too slow for a bigger card? I may as well asked, could it run a 256mb?

6. monkeyspank

monkeyspank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think a 6600GT would be a good choice. Anything faster would be bottlenecked by the cpu.

The other option is to get something a bit cheaper to keep them happy for a while and then upgrade the whole system based on PCI-E and A64 technology later in the year. Thinking ahead like this can actually save you money in the long run. I bet it won't be very long until they need a speedier system.

1GB system RAM would be a good upgrade too, the newer games like far cry and doom3 really seem to benefit from it.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I agree with that.
    Myself I will either have to get a cheapish graphics card to put me on a year or go for a PCI-Express card, which means a new MB so I may as well go the 64 CPU route. And also there is a new MB format out so this may mean a new case, although I belive there is a board out there that will go in both cases. :clap:

8. monkeyspank

monkeyspank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ebuyer £83 9800pro

With this you should be able to play all the current games at a decent framerate at 1024x768, maybe some AA and AF if you are lucky ;) Another 512MB RAM would help or try overclocking the cpu for a bit more power.

9. cabster21

cabster21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks, well they are thinking of a totall rebuild. That's what i said first, i think they just want to get every last bit out of the current system first. Though they are coming round to the idea of using a SLI board, so it will run 2 cards, buy one now for easy upgrade. Well i will check out this card. And about the overclocking, the mobo doesn't allow it at all. I was able to get the cpu up a bit, and it actually read the cpu as a 2200+ after that any slight movement and the system restarts. I also think the board is OEM which is why there is nothing on the net about it.

Oh btw, what would you say would be the slowest CPU needed to run a 256mb card (A64 and P4 wise)? and RAM. Thanks :smashin: