1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card with GOOD tv out

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by smallman28, May 8, 2002.

1. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after a graphics card with a good quality tv output.
    The ones I have tried so far are okay but tend to look a bit blurry,I know a monitor is the best bet but wanted the tower with the rest of the equipment and wont have room for a monitor where it needs to go so was going to use the tv.
    We are talking something of a budget here so dont go to mad,
    £150ish.

2. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have tried Leadtek GeForce2 Pro and GTS, a Voodoo3000, and OEM GeForce MX400 64mb and the TV out on my Dell laptop. All of them were blurry. I would say the Dell was best, that has some ATi card inside it. This does not really help you to pick a good one, but might stop you picking a bad one :)

On another note I see you have a Yamaha YST-SW80 subwoofer. Do you like it? I never got on with my one, had it years now. Use it for playing games on the PC these days. A job it handles quite well. I never found it could get very low :(

Regards

Der Pobman

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Get an ATI Radeon family card for that money easy enough. They have top video out performance and if you look on here you'll see are rated for home theatre pc usage. I have one and think it rocks!

P.S. A big hello to all you truckers out there...

4. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Yamaha sub ages ago cause it was cheap £50 I think,like you said its okay but I just havent got round to changing
    it yet but I will!

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Der_Pobamn, just looking at laptops myself these days, I see you use a Dell. How do you find laptops overall considering their limitations?

I'm looking at a Jack-of-all-Trades laptop like the ones from Rockdirect ( www.rockdirect.com ), the Agenda Si. S Video out and optical out (48KHz) and VGA too. Only real drawback is the shared 32Mb graphics, but it's an all rounder, so perfection is not what I'm after. Apart from the usual pc stuff, the odd game on a big screen too.

Just wondered. Cheers.

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could allways look into getting an geforce 2 in combination with tvtool .

i had a geforce 2 mx and the tv out looked crap ( blury and usless) then i heard about tvtool over on avs . it's an amazing peace of software . it's like the diference between night and day . pin sharp and clear :D

7. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my Dell works quite well. It has co-ax digital out and has 32meg of non shared video ram. THe new Dells have GeForce inside and not ATI I think ...

Anyway problems with my laptop are:
    1. The graphics card is not fully compliant with ... um.. I have just forgotten what the name of the program is... that program which allows you to use custom resolutions.. Powerstrip I think? anyway it works in some ways, but has problems with some custom resolutions. Until the latest version it did not work at all... so things might get better.

2. The HD is slow, they are always much slower in laptops than desktops.

3. Its noisy at times, when all the cooling fans get going it is much noiser than a PC which has been designed to be silent. It is however still quieter than a normal PC!

3. Does not have video in.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Is the graphics card integrated into the Dell? Is it upgradeable? In fact, never having owned a laptop, are their graphics cards upgradeable at all?

This to me seems to be the only real stumbling block. As I'm not after sheer power as available from a desktop, laptops these days look the part, some of the specs I've seen are really quite amazing, floating around the £1000 - £1200 mark. (Naturally I'm not talking about PC World prices here.:D :rolleyes: ).

9. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In most cases you cant change the graphics cards in laptops... however Dell do use mini-PCI cards so it is possible to take the old one out and replace it... TO my knowledge Dell do not sell new cards, however there are some guys in CTO magazine that do sell these Dell parts.

However in general I dont think you can upgrade laptop cards.

As stunned as you will be for me to say this.. BUT sometimes you can get a good laptop from PC World. 1 year ago they were awful for laptops, and still are for all other computer parts... however we bought a TOshbia 1100Mhz with DVD and 14inch TFT from them for 899 some 6 months ago!!! which was a bargain really at the time.

Anyway Dell are quite cheap I think, http://www.dell.co.uk has all you need to know.

The thing with Dell and the other online suppliers is that they will custom make you a laptop how YOU want it. Thus I got a good graphics card in my laptop and all the RAM i needed.

10. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I second that motion.

I bought an Asus GF2 and I was getting black borders all round the screen, found out about tvtool and never looked back. Only costs about six quid as well.

The output is pin sharp, as you say, and the other picture enhancers are excellent too, ie colour and contrast adjustment, flicker reducer, MACROVISION REMOVAL (ahem).

You couldn't beat it with a big stick.