• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

graphics card upgrade question

stuartb04

Standard Member
hi.my current graphics card is a radeon x1950pro 512mb
you see i love crysis.basically i love eye candy games
im a sucker for em.i know i need to upgrade to play these games
full whack
but i only have a budget of 100 pounds(maybe 120)
i have looked around,but i have only ever bought one card
so i need a bit of help

if this helps my specs are-
amd64 x2 dual core 4200+ processor
3gb ram
22" monitor
570w psu
running vista ultimate
all help would be great:lease:

Clunk

For £80-£100 you're looking at the 8800/9800GT 512MB.
For £100-£120 you're looking at the HD4850 512MB

With either of those cards, you can run Crysis looking nice... but your CPU will then be holding you back next... :D

Usual question for these threads... what brand is your PSU?

stuartb04

Standard Member
thanx 4 the replys guys
great help

@ clunk my psu is-
trust 570w dual fan.....thats what it says on the box
i bought the fan myself..just because it was more wattage
and it was cheapish
dont know too much about psu's

Clunk

thanx 4 the replys guys
great help

@ clunk my psu is-
trust 570w dual fan.....thats what it says on the box
i bought the fan myself..just because it was more wattage
and it was cheapish
dont know too much about psu's
I don't know enough about Trust's power supplies to be honest (and a search and rummage through their website has produced nothing worthwhile about the PSU's actual output spec). If you were able to let me know what it says on the PSU label in the 12V column(s), or post up a picture of the label, then I can let you know whether it should be okay.

All I know about Trust is that they are a generic brand who sell a lot of different PC hardware. My first digital camera was by Trust (bought by an ignorant me who thought "ooh 5 megapixels must be a good camera". It was cr*p. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, mind. Sumvision are a similar kind of generic brand - their PSU's are cheap and cr*p, but I have a Sumvision Phoenix DVD player which is an awesome little piece of kit. So you never can tell.

The 8800GT's and HD4850's are quite power hungry cards though, so it would definitely pay to know a little more about what will be feeding them before I'd recommend them.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom