1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Card To Conver RGB to Component

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cg999, Jan 12, 2002.

1. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recomend a graphics card that will convert RGB to Component video?

Thanks

Conor

2. 10ht

10ht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Conor
    I think the only way you will convert RGB to Component is through a converter which will cost several hundred pounds. I do not know of any graphics cards that will output a component signal.

Dave

3. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You need a key digital convertor, will do the trick, you can go to 480p, 720p or 1080i.

Make sure you projector will take these

Cost me about £150 from digital connection.com

There is a small drop in quality and I would prefer a GFX card that did this internally, there a rumours that a readeon was going to have a DVI convertor to do this.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Tyrone: Am I not correct in assuming that this wont actually convert to those resolutions but, if fed those resolutions will transcode them from RGB to YPrPb?

Also thanks for link to digital connections....I am going to get one to go the other way....

Gordon

5. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tyrone

I was aware of the convertor from previous posts from yourself. I just thought if there was a card out there that would do the job, it would be a lot less hassle. My pj is the Tosh MT3 and it supports 480p. I have finally accepted that if I had it back again I would not have bought the Toshiba. The vertical banding is very bad using a video signal, but it is much improved using a HCPC. But this pj is just not meant to be used for home cinema with a PC. The picture is very unstable, very jerky pans and minimum tearing. Even changing the refresh rate does not improve the pans but does increase the occurances of tearing.

It's very frustrating as the picture quality with the PC is excellent, but the jerky movement makes it almost unwatchable. I was down to two PJs when I decided upon the Toshiba, maybe, at the time, I should have gone for the Sanyo PLV-30

Conor

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Don't Kramer do a box to convert RGBHV to YUV?

I've got theri catalogue Cd somewhere
    i'll take a look.

ED: This is the closest thing, only does RGBS/RGsB to YUV

RGB - Component Transcoder FC-4042

The Kramer FC-4042 is a high quality format converter designed to transcode between the two most widely used professional video signal formats, RGBS and Y, R-Y, B-Y. The unit has two completely separate channels, which can operate simultaneously. The first converts Y, R-Y, B-Y to RGBS, and the second works in the opposite direction to convert RGBS to Y, R-Y, B-Y.
    Front panel buttons assign the sync format as RGBS or RGsB for each channel. Outputs are DC coupled. The FC-4042 is rugged, dependable, and is housed in a professional 19” rack mountable enclosure requiring one vertical space

7. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Gordon,

yep, it only passess through the resolutions of your graphics card, and essentially only supports the once mentioned. I should have said transcoder rather than convertor.

please, don't make the mistake I made, it came with an american power supply, and I didn't think about this!! however even though it says don't use another, you will find the power supply that comes with the ISCAN PRO is identical even in manufacturer! And works straight out the box. I think it was 6v 2amp centre pin positive. I got one from CPC.

The key digital is far cheaper than the kramer but I'm sure it poorer quality, its about half the size of a remote control and is fairly flimsy but works fin.

Cg999, I have heard that Toshiba will make an official PAL progressive available for the Tosh mT-7 this year and will be on all future projectors. If this is the case you may stand a chance of getting your MT-3 done. I will email a guy in australia and ask him if he knows anything, because they seem to be getting better support than us brits.

Another thing you could try with your HCPC is to do what I've done. Run the HCPC to the key-digital convertor to 480p and then to component to your projector. Now on paper this seems a bit strange but for some reason when I run either PAL or NTSC to my projector at 720p 60hz (that's right 60hz being the wrong frequency and NTSC based) my picture is great. No stuttering, no tearing. It's only when I run it thrugh VGA/computer in I get these problems, which leads me to believe the VGA/computer input doesn't sync exactly with the HCPC output but when you specify and choses standard (such as 480p or 720p), it sync dead on, no stutter on tearing.

Now how can this be, I'm using exactly the same HCPC with no changes, the only thing I am changing is on the projector.

I don't see anyreason you can't map use your HCPC with this box and convert to 480p. In fact I will try it on my system and see what happens.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    My Home Logon Name is cg999

Thanks all

Tyrone

So, having gone down the transcoder road, would you recommend that I try this. You say that there is a slight loss of quality going through the transcoder, in what way? less detail? more noise?? Another problem that I should consider is that if I use the component in on the projector, I may get my vertical banding back which would leave right back at square one. But unless some one else has tried this with the MT3, I suppose I'll just have to take a chance. Will the fact that I will have a 16:9 mode with component in on the pj (there is no 16:9 mode on RGB in) give much of an improvement to the picture?

Thanks ReTrO, but I would be a little worried about spending any more than the cost of the Key Digital transcoder when I really don't know wheather or not I'll be happy with the results.

Conor