Graphics card solely for HD playback on 46" LCD TV

The_Brickster

Standard Member
I'm just going through the stages of designing an HTPC. I've had a look through these forums for recommendations on a suitable graphics card, however everything seems to be geared towards gaming and not the playback of HD content (either from DVD or HDD).

I am buying a Samsung LE46M87BDX 46" LCD TV for use in this set up.

I would like a card with an HDMI link and preferably fit within an Antec Fusion v2 mATX case (which is quite cramped). Although I am willing to change the case if needs be.

Would it be sufficient to have an onboard graphics card on the mobo which would suit my requirements? I don't want to sacrifice quality, so I feel that a separate card is the way forward.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with their experiences / thoughts?

Many thanks!

danoliver1

On board graphics would be ok if your cpu is fast enough to decode hd stuff. If not a 2600xt or 8500gt would be great as they accelerate hd video so you dont need a monster cpu. Ps most graphics cards come only with dvi connectors so a dvi > hdmi converter would be required.

tinners

Novice Member
See my thread in sig.
I have an ATI 2400 XT plays everything with little CPU use. Passive cooling so silent. Cant fault it. Does come with HDMI / DVI connector in the box.

badbob

Banned
My MATX has onboard (Nvidia 6150), playing back 1080p is fine, so is scaling SD to 1080p. The CPU does all the work. If you motherboard has onboard I'd just use that for now. But if you do want a dedicated card don't go above 8500 Nvidia or 2600 ATI line.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom