Graphics Card Resolution Compatibility With HD LCD

Undercover82

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm just about to place an order for an LCD screen (either a Samsung LE32R74BD or a Toshiba 32WLT66 - most likely the Samsung) however i'm not sure whether my graphics card will be compatible with it.

Basically i have an Asus Radeon 9600XT with the latest drivers etc including Catalyst Control Centre. However i have checked the resolution options i have available and it doesn't output 1366x768. The nearest it outputs at is 1360x768.

I'm not too clued up on this new stuff at the moment, so what exactly does that mean? Will i not get a perfectly clear picture if i run at 1360x768? It's VITAL that i get a perfectly clear picture that is judder/flicker free since i am epileptic.

Also, would it be possible to that i would have more resolution options available once i connect the LCD to the graphics card as opposed to my monitor? I thinking maybe the graphics card will recognise that a new device has been connected and thus give me different options???

I have read some of the other thread regarding some software (can't remember the name now) that allows you to create custom resolutions but i'm still not sure on that regard - that thread in some places gets way too technical or just goes off topic.

So what are my options guys? If i had to purchase a new graphics card i don't mind doing that either, so if that's the case, then please recommend me a few graphics cards that will support the native resolution (1366x768) of a 32" LCD. I won't be playing games, it'll just be for normal PC use so anything middle-of-the-range will do.

It's VITAL that i get a perfectly clear picture that is judder/flicker free since i am epileptic. Therefore i would appreciate your help on this - and sorry if it's been covered before.

First you need to check what resolution the TV's input supports and thus you can know if it can do 1:1 pixel mapping. You may actually find that some TVs have a resolution of 1366x768 but may only accept 1360x768 (or less).

Nvidia has a custom resolution mode for their graphics cards, not sure if ATI does, too. If not you can use Powerstrip to tweak the settings, or change the card of course.

Also, would it be possible to that i would have more resolution options available once i connect the LCD to the graphics card as opposed to my monitor? I thinking maybe the graphics card will recognise that a new device has been connected and thus give me different options???

Yes, usually. Normally I would tick the box "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" under the Monitor tab and then look through the list under the "List All Modes" under the "Adapter" tab - just check on my work PC's NVidia card settings and this does change the list to include "1360x768" in various depths.

You will find that most VGA modes are limited to multiples of 8 - hence 1366 not being a valid resolution.

I use 1360x768 with my JVC set & you get 3 pixel wide borders at either end of the screen which aren't really noticeable.

I'm not sure if the Samsung sets are the same but I've heard some TVs have a setting so you can have it expand the picture out to the full 1366 pixels or leave the black columns.

Be wary of the Toshiba set, there's been lot's of discussions on the forums about how best to use it with a PC because you don't get a good picture with the standard 1360x768@60hz setting.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom