Graphics Card Recommendation

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by rimmet, Feb 8, 2009.

1. rimmet

rimmet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently upgraded my machine to a Quad Core 9950 Phenom processor, 4gb Corsair XMS2 RAM, 24" Samsung monitor etc....

I am now looking to upgrade my graphics card as I have recently got the buzz for gaming back. I completed COD4, which ran lovely at 1024x768 (which I know isnt getting the best out of my monitor but is playable) and installed COD WaW and its just unplayable, really slow and laggy even on complete lowest settings.

My budget is £100ish really, and I will consider Nvidia or ATI but have only ever had Nvidia in the past so don't really have any knowledge of comparible ATI cards. I was looking at a 8800GT / 9800GT. Can anybody suggest what would be the most appropriate card for my needs and budget and whether I am going to be able to play the likes of COD WaW at my monitor's native resolution for that budget?

Thanks for any help and advice
    Thom

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I'd say sell something to get enough for a 4850 from ATI or even a 4870 or Nvidia 260 (both can be had just under or around the £200 margin). Anything less than these just wouldnt do the CPU justice or be a worthwhile spend.

You'll be able to play COD WaW on your monitors native res, but with a fair few options set lower when it comes to the 8800 series of cards (unless you are able to get a GTX)

Check out reviews on cards where they used Crysis as one of the benchmarks, you'll be able to see comparisons between 8800's and 9800's/3750's and then you can check comparisons between 9800/3750's and 4850/4870 and 260's/280's. That'll give you a chance to see what the differences are.

I literally went hunting for a new card the other day. Was initially tempted to go for a 4850 as it was cheaper, but then realised it wouldnt actually do that much more than my current 8800GTS (when I run it overclocked). So then looked at 4870's and 260's and 9800's. Here there was a worthwhile improvement, especially with a XFX 260 Black edition model that was fairly heavily overclocked out of the box. This means going from £150 to £210 approx. I figured it would be false economy to get a card that offers only maybe 8fps more on current games than my existing card when I can get a card for 50% more that offers around 20fps more. However, in the end, I used Scans finance plan option and got a 285...lol. Decided that in the end, if I'm going to upgrade now, I might as well get the best I can (without going SLI/dual chip card) to save having to upgrade again. This card should get me a 26fps increase which is spanking.

Also had to buy a new power supply to go with it..lol. My Jeantechs not bad, but only has 38amps on 12v and this card says min requirement is 60amp...eeek.

Seriously though, with a PC like the one you've just upgraded to, dont do yourself out on a false economy, save up/sell something and get a 4850 minimum, preferably a 4870 or 260 (go for that XFX Black Edition if you can get around £210 or so together, dont forget you can try Scans finance plan if you add another £90 worth of gear, they do up to 12 month BNPL or classic 36 month finance.)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. rimmet

rimmet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
  5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    Knyght_byte is spot on. My mate just bought a 4850 as an upgrade from his aging X800GTO and the differennce is huge (5000 3dmarks increase).

I also have a 880GTS and have been looking for a replacement, and KB's info is good if you can stretch just a bit more then go for it else face another upgrade sooner than you would if you had paid just that little bit more now.

If £100 is a budget that you need to stick more or less too, then grab a 4850.

If you can get together more cash, then a 4870 or the Nvidia 260 is a step above as ideally you need to spend around the same money on a GPU as you did on your monitor to do it real justice, as a 24" Sammy is just begging to be filled with HiDef gaming goodness.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. rimmet

rimmet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for your help guys, I think I need to ponder, by ponder I mean look around my room for something to sell! lol

thanks again
    thom

7. bluemarvin

bluemarvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree completely with the advice you've been given - I have a similar level PC (see signature) and have been trying to work out what to replace my 9600GT with (although it displays COD4 at 1920x1200 fine). My current thinking is either a 1 gb HD 4870 or a GTX 260/216. Just to give you something else to think about, at 1920x1200, 512 Mb memory can start to limit things (I believe - anyone else care to comment?) hence my considering the 1 gb version.

The other factor no-one's mentioned is noise - there have been some adverse comments about the ATI cards when fitted with the stock cooler - again, I'd be thinking of something like this

Palit ATI Radeon HD4870 SONIC 1GB GDDR5 DVI/HDTV Out PCI-E, Retail [XAE=4870S+0502-PM9248] from Overclock.co.uk - Overclocking, Performance Computer Hardware, PCs and Laptops

(with twin fans) - but it depends how worried you are about noise.

Have fun! :D

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I'd seriously recommend considering the XFX 260 Black Edition if you can, that thing whips a 4870 in all but two games (which are ATi friendly ones). I think scan have it for £220-230 normally, but the other day it was on for £206.