graphics card question

mickey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi Guys, I want to know if A 8800gt/gts series graphics card would run a 32" lcd at 1920x1080 or would i need 2x 8800 cards in sli mode which would still work out cheaper than the 9800x2 dual card or would the 8800,s in sli make no difference, any input/info welcome, i just want to use the full res of the monitor .cheers Mike

A Single 8800GT will be more than enough! :smashin:

An eight year old Geforce 2 MX can easily power a 1920x1080 resolution, it's just a couple of hundred thousand pixels more than 1600x1200.

Or are you asking whether one or two 8800GTs would be better for gaming at that resolution?

hi,Sorry I thought the fact that I was using A 32" hd lcd as a monitor would of been enough to give most people the notion I wasnt going to just browse the web with it;),maybe I should of been more specific, "would I need One Or Two 8800,s to run 1920x1080 at a useable framerates for current gaming" i doubt a gforce 2 mx could run crysis/cod4/etc at 1920x1080:devil:. Mike

Think you confused people with mention of 32” screen, my first thought was that it’s for movies.

I’m not sure that the pic quality will be great. Monitor resolution is 1920x1200 so your screen will have to adapt or upscale/downscale depending on what you select and that will introduce even more lag and most likely ghosting. Maybe I’m just spoiled, still using CRT so no such issues.

Second card won’t do any harm, that’s for sure. I run Crysis on 1024x768 on all medium settings and that’s playable in 95% of the game. Have to admit that I had to go lower in some scenes to keep the frames around 35-40 but my machine is not really the latest spec.

Popular opinion is that Crysis won’t run well with maximum settings on 1920 regardless of what gc you have and another card is always welcome. Believe that nVidia have sorted out drivers so cards should scale well now.

COD4 should be much better, think that one card would do the job.

hth

Hi thanks for the reply but , surely there will be no scaling involved since the card is quite capable of sending a 1920x1080 signal to my tv which has a native resolution of 1920x1080, there is even a 1to1 pixel mapping setting on the tv. so i think i going off your settings/suggestions i really should get one g/card and sli m/board just in case i am not happy. Thanks again. Mike

you would be better off with an ultra at that res if you can afford one
theres to much hassel with sli and you will only get 30% performance gain
the ultra's got 384bit memory bus linked to 768mb of ram witch will make gaming @1920x1080 very smooth. i know its not the best gfxcard but at that res and beyond it is.

8800GT is fine for cod 4 everything on full. thats what i run at the moment, but mine is overclocked so that might help. As for crysis and new games, whatever you buy will struggle. my recommendation to all is get the 88GT and wait for the new series rather than wasting money on the higher cards at the moment. The performance increase for the price just isnt worth it, and with the new ati and nvidia dew within the next month... i wouldnt spend too much

so i think i going off your settings/suggestions i really should get one g/card and sli m/board just in case i am not happy. Thanks again. Mike

Yes, I would go for one to start with and then you can add another or replace it with a new card in a couple of months if it proves too little.

Hi thanks for the reply but , surely there will be no scaling involved since the card is quite capable of sending a 1920x1080 signal to my tv which has a native resolution of 1920x1080,

You are absolutely correct. For some reason I never noticed 1920x1080 resolution. That's the drawback of having an old card, I usually stop at 1280 :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom