Graphics Card Query - Help needed.....

theritz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether PCI versions of GeForce or ATI graphics cards can be set to give custom resolutions through Powerstrip - I have 856x480 in mind, for my AE100.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this, and particularly which graphics card they managed to do it with.

I'm researching and planning a HCPC, and have the chance of a 2nd hand PC which is probably fast enough, but doesn't have an AGP slot on the motherboard.

I'm also considering a model based on a VIA mini-itx motherboard and processor, which doesn't have an AGP slot either - see this example:

http://fsai.fh-trier.de/~hermenj/technik/mediabox/index_engl.php

I think this guy's work is super neat and I'd like to create something along similar lines.

See here for details of the mini-itx :

Thanks (in advance !!!)

Sean G.

Both can be set to any custom resolution. I'll recommend ATI Radeon 9000 with 128MB memory. They cost around £70.

Thanks, Brannx,

Just confirming - you say that the PCI version of Geforce or Radeon cards will accept custom resolutions from Powerstrip ??

Thanks again for the reply..

Sean G.

Originally posted by theritz
Thanks, Brannx,

Just confirming - you say that the PCI version of Geforce or Radeon cards will accept custom resolutions from Powerstrip ??

Thanks again for the reply..

Sean G.

I know the radeons can

ad

theritz,

I had ATI Radeon 7000 PCI and I know it uses the same driver as AGP version.

On a back of that I made assumption that it will work with custom resolutions in the same way as AGP. I know for definite that the AGP works.

Thanks again Brannx,

I guess it stands to reason if the card uses the same chips and the same drivers in PCI and AGP forms, then the only difference is in the speed at which the card communicates with the motherboard (I think)......

Anyone else care to add their knowledge/experience - it would really help me out.......

Thanks,

Sean G.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom