1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card power settings help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Greg Hook, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Hi

Just got a new 450W power supply in my PC, now when the guy installed it he forgot to connect the power cable up to my Abit FX5800 graphics card. When the PC started I was given a message saying Nvidia had put the card in low power mode. As soon as the guy saw this he knew what he had forgot, turned off the PC and connected the power cable to it.

PC started up fine, everything runs OK, but will the graphics card now have automatically put itself back in full power mode? The reason I ask is that I have just started to play FarCry again and it runs like a dog, whereas when I played before it ran perfectly.

Thanks
    Greg

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd expect the card to revert to 'normal' mode when it was powered-up again. Hard to think what may he been disturbed .. you may want to check the AGP settings, I guess it's possible the BIOS reverted to 1x perhaps?

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Thanks Kragorn, I think it was just my FarCry settings. I have tried HL2 and the performance is the same as before, but I will check my bios settings anyway.

Thanks
    Greg