• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Graphics card on the way out...need replacement

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I've been hovering around these forums for the last few weeks, but now my ageing graphics card is making lots of loud whirring noises which makes me think it's on the way out. What better excuse is there for a new one eh? ;)

So, what should I get? I run a Quad Core Q6600 2.4ghz processor, Asus P5Q deluxe motherboard, with 8GB DDR2 RAM. I really don't want to spend much, but I keep being drawn to the 6870 or the GTX 560Ti. I know the 560Ti is the better of the two, but my monitors aren't full 1080p (although they will be at some point). I don't game anymore on the PC, but I really fancy trying Battlefield 3.

So with this particular game in mind, any suggestions? I was looking for a BF3 bundled card, but the only one I can find is the 560Ti for £185 :( Really didn't want to spend more than £130 all in but it looks like that's not going to be possible.

Wrong forum I know, but is there an AVF BF3 community? It's one thing I'd really miss from playing on the X-Box 360.....

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Never heard of either CCL Online nor XFX...can anyone comment on either? Bit dubious when one of the questions that has no answer is "does this have any warranty" :confused:

namuk

Distinguished Member
i have used CCL very good support and fast delivery odd they do not advertise much though,
XFX very good also and support as well i use to own there 8800GT alpha dog xxx card and they did a custom fan profile bios update if requested. site here http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Home.aspx

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reassurance :) £140 inc BF3 looks like a good deal no? (for a good gfx card for my rig?)

namuk

Distinguished Member
yea good enough for your rig as your not overclocking but you will not max the graphics details in BF3 you would need to higher end and at least 1.5gb vid mem,
Alsothere is a AVF pc server you no.

the noise coming from your card have you not stripped it down? it may be just a dust issue or fan problem you could source a heatsink/fan off ebay i did this with a friends card the other month i got it for £5 i think.

Last edited:

shadowboxer

Thanks for the reassurance :) £140 inc BF3 looks like a good deal no? (for a good gfx card for my rig?)

Looks like a very good match to your system.

If you have a reasonable cooler then you could try overclocking your CPU a little.

What is your current graphics card and PSU btw?

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Current graphics card is something like an ATI 4650...ran BF3 alpha but on low settings only, framerate even then wasn't great. I've got a Coolermaster 550w psu, which is new.

shadowboxer

The Coolermaster PSUs are OK, a 550W will be fine with a 6870. Should be a massive improvement from your current 4650.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Thanks to the advice on here, my new HD 6870 arrives tomorrow :thumbsup:

Stupid question time (as I've not installed gfx cards for a while, at least certainly not for gaming)...what do I need to do first? Do I need to uninstall the drivers for the old card? I know not to use the CD, but doesn't windows 7 automatically look for drivers and install those? :confused:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Yes, uninstall the drivers for the current card, then shut down the system and remove it. Install the new card and install the drivers from the AMD website.

Windows 7 will probably look for drivers and try to install then, but they may not have all the supporting software (e.g. Catalyst Control Centre, Hydravision etc.) so I prefer to install the AMD package.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Thanks, downloading them now in anticipation :)

Is there any way to stop windows looking for them and installing something I don't want?

Should I use a driver cleaner when I uninstall the old gfx card? (not used one for years so not even sure if this is necessary or what to use).

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom