Graphics Card Not Recognized By Multiple Applications

Hello Everyone,

I have an Asus Zenbook with a Nvidia GTX1050 dedicated graphics card. Lately, I have been having issues with Adobe Photoshop recognizing and utilizing the graphics card. Video editing software is also failing to recognize it most of the time. No amount of restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling, or updating the driver has helped. I am currently running the latest release of the Nvidia Studio Driver.

The graphics card populates in the device manager and states that it is working properly. Any thoughts? Where to start?

Cheers,
Andrew

Carbon 60

Hi Andrew,

If you know what date the problems started try using Reliability Monitor to see if any failures or warnings were reported from that day forth. When the window opens click on 'Weeks' next to' View by:' to change it from the default 'Days'. Any weeks that have either or both the red circle X Critical or yellow triangle ! Warning icons, click on that week to see the details listed below the graph.

Even if you can't remember the exact date try this anyway.

You could also open up the Event Viewer, then click the little triangle next to Custom Views at the top of the left pane to expand it, then click on Administrative Events to open that log. Scroll down the list of red circle Errors and yellow triangle Warnings and see if any correspond with the results from the Reliabilty Monitor, and any new events that may be related, (if you can make any sense out of them).

Post back here if you find anything.

You could also try System Restore if you have it enabled, and rollback to a restore point before the problems started.

next010

Distinguished Member
Settings->System->Display->Graphics Settings (at bottom of window).

In here under graphics performance preference you can force apps to use a certain GPU.

Select desktop app and point it at the exe and select the Nvidia.

See if that does anything for you, also the latest version of GeForce Experience now covers content production software as well, don't know if photoshop is covered but install GE and see it has it listed, go into details and it will auto optimize the software to use the GPU.

Settings->System->Display->Graphics Settings (at bottom of window).

In here under graphics performance preference you can force apps to use a certain GPU.

Select desktop app and point it at the exe and select the Nvidia.

See if that does anything for you, also the latest version of GeForce Experience now covers content production software as well, don't know if photoshop is covered but install GE and see it has it listed, go into details and it will auto optimize the software to use the GPU.
For the record, Photoshop does not populate, but Lightroom and the Topaz AI suite does.

Hi Andrew,

If you know what date the problems started try using Reliability Monitor to see if any failures or warnings were reported from that day forth. When the window opens click on 'Weeks' next to' View by:' to change it from the default 'Days'. Any weeks that have either or both the red circle X Critical or yellow triangle ! Warning icons, click on that week to see the details listed below the graph.

Even if you can't remember the exact date try this anyway.

You could also open up the Event Viewer, then click the little triangle next to Custom Views at the top of the left pane to expand it, then click on Administrative Events to open that log. Scroll down the list of red circle Errors and yellow triangle Warnings and see if any correspond with the results from the Reliabilty Monitor, and any new events that may be related, (if you can make any sense out of them).

Post back here if you find anything.

You could also try System Restore if you have it enabled, and rollback to a restore point before the problems started.

No issues with the graphics card. The Realtek driver had some issues and Moviemaker did as well.

The Event Viewer shows hundreds of warnings and errors with "DistributedCOM". There are several other things as well. I attached the event log in case it is helpful for anyone

Attachments

• events.txt
    5 MB · Views: 115

Carbon 60

Hi Andy,

I went through the event log entries but viewing it in Notepad is very hard going. Also the log goes all the way back to 2nd July 2020. You do seem to be getting a lot of driver failures and there are corrupted DLLs too. I noticed Windows Update errors as well.

The application failures start happening on the 3rd July 2020 with SimUText Summer 2020.exe, then DistributedCOM.exe on the 5th July, then problems with Adobe shortly afterwards and more and more application errors as time passes. Moviemaker started crashing on April 1st this year unless I missed it earlier than that.

I presume it's Windows 10 you have, when's the last time you updated it? Your GTX 1050 is showing driver errors and there may be an issue with the card despite Device Manager saying it is working properly.

Have you had any issues with the laptop overheating or the system being busy or resources being low when you are trying to run programs or carry out tasks? Did you make some sort of big system change on the 3rd July last year?

Hi Andy,

I went through the event log entries but viewing it in Notepad is very hard going. Also the log goes all the way back to 2nd July 2020. You do seem to be getting a lot of driver failures and there are corrupted DLLs too. I noticed Windows Update errors as well.

The application failures start happening on the 3rd July 2020 with SimUText Summer 2020.exe, then DistributedCOM.exe on the 5th July, then problems with Adobe shortly afterwards and more and more application errors as time passes. Moviemaker started crashing on April 1st this year unless I missed it earlier than that.

I presume it's Windows 10 you have, when's the last time you updated it? Your GTX 1050 is showing driver errors and there may be an issue with the card despite Device Manager saying it is working properly.

Have you had any issues with the laptop overheating or the system being busy or resources being low when you are trying to run programs or carry out tasks? Did you make some sort of big system change on the 3rd July last year?
Thank you for looking through everything, sorry for the difficult format. SimUText was a horrible program for college which I no longer have. Moviemaker is also a disaster of a program but it works for a project I am working on.

About 6 months ago, there was a clicking sound coming from the case, the best I could tell was that it was the fan on the GPU. Asus was going to warranty it but told me it could be up to 3 months to get it back from them. The clicking stopped and the fan started spinning again before anything further happened.

I am running Windows 10, it was last updated a few days ago (I believe there was a cumulative update for Windows). I do not recall making any big system changes at any point since I purchased the laptop a little over a year ago. I do not have any overheating issues, even when running Photoshop, Teams, internet browser, and Outlook. The GPU is utilized in Teams (verified through task manager) and the fan runs.

I also ran Heaven Benchmark, my score was 1021 FPS was 40.5. The GPU hovered around 75c give or take a degree and cooled down in about a minute.

Last edited:

Carbon 60

Did you have a look at Reliability Monitor (RM)? It may give you more ideas of where the problems are originating. Can you be more accurate about when the Photoshop and video editing software problems started apart from 'lately' and cross reference that start date with any new problems showing up in the RM?

Did you have a look at Reliability Monitor (RM)? It may give you more ideas of where the problems are originating. Can you be more accurate about when the Photoshop and video editing software problems started apart from 'lately' and cross reference that start date with any new problems showing up in the RM?
I did not see any issues with drivers or the software during the approximate time issues started. I did, however, check task manager while processing a video and it was utilizing the GPU but it still did not show up in Photoshop so maybe this is an issue with Photoshop more than anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom