Graphics card help

MrCoopz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a new graphics card to replace my Nvidia GTX 580 and there are that many out there i'm really struggling to find one.

I'm looking at spending £100-150 second hand as i should get the best bang for the buck going that way rather than new.

At first i was set on a older Radeon R9 280x but have since seen the R9 290 and there is probably a better card than that available now as that's from 2013.

Ideally id like to play games at very high settings (Ultra would be great though) with decent FPS but to be honest the FPS doesn't matter that much as I've been playing consoles all my life haha and I'll be playing at 1080p as well i haven't took the jump for a 4K TV yet.

Any helps appreciated, as i said i'm lost in the GPU world lol.

Thanks

Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a new graphics card to replace my Nvidia GTX 580 and there are that many out there i'm really struggling to find one.

I'm looking at spending £100-150 second hand as i should get the best bang for the buck going that way rather than new.

At first i was set on a older Radeon R9 280x but have since seen the R9 290 and there is probably a better card than that available now as that's from 2013.

Ideally id like to play games at very high settings (Ultra would be great though) with decent FPS but to be honest the FPS doesn't matter that much as I've been playing consoles all my life haha and I'll be playing at 1080p as well i haven't took the jump for a 4K TV yet.

Thanks
The only card that comes to mind within that price bracket is the gtx 1050 ti , which would be ok for gaming at 1080p but i think you will still need to turn down a few settings to hit that magic number of 60 fps ,
if you gaming on a pc then you really should be looking at playing 60 fps ( you say your not bothered , but once you start playing at 60 fps you'll start think how much better it is compared to consoles )

Thanks

You'll probably be able to get a second hand GTX 970 for close to your budget.

One just sold on ebay for £156.

The only card that comes to mind within that price bracket is the gtx 1050 ti , which would be ok for gaming at 1080p but i think you will still need to turn down a few settings to hit that magic number of 60 fps ,
if you gaming on a pc then you really should be looking at playing 60 fps ( you say your not bothered , but once you start playing at 60 fps you'll start think how much better it is compared to consoles )

Thanks for the fast response.

I know what you mean about 60fps compared to the consoles, i tried Dirt Rally out on both and it was quite strange getting used to it at 60 fps with it being so much smoother.

Would the Radeon equivalent of the GTX 1050 TI be the RX 460?

I've just had a browse on youtube and the 1050 looks a cracking card for the price, thanks for the heads up :)

Is there any particular brand would you recommend getting? Ideally id want one that's not too noisy, ill have a search about see what they all say.

Also i nearly forgot, out of curiosity why is the R9 290x still going for £150+ on ebay when the 1050ti is better?

You'll probably be able to get a second hand GTX 970 for close to your budget.

One just sold on ebay for £156.

Well that's thrown the cats amongst the pigeons lol

Ill have a look on youtube see what i can find thanks

Also i nearly forgot, out of curiosity why is the R9 290x still going for £150+ on ebay when the 1050ti is better?

Because it isn't :D

A 1050ti might match up to a R9 280 or even an R9 280X in some games but it's still some way behind an R9 290x. Which is the same GPU as the R9 390X (just with slightly lower clocks and only 4GB of VRAM). However the prices of 2nd hand video cards (especially the R9 x90's) seem a tad insane. I was looking at getting a used 390X before Christmas but people wanted nearly £200 :mad: And people were buying them :facepalm:

In the end I got a new RX480 (only 4GB mind) for £155 on Black Friday.

Ah ok

Thanks for all the info guys its helped a lot. Now to try and get a bargain on eBay haha. Theres a lot of interest on these by the looks of it, the one posted above shot up to £170 inc postage at the last minute and the one before that went for £165 :)

As yogi has said the rx 290x is a better card than the gtx 1050ti ,
but you did say you wanted to spend about £150 on a card which is why i mentioned the 1050ti
then i forgot you wouldn't mind buying a 2nd hand one ,
which in case, the RX290/x or the gtx 970 will be better than the 1050ti
but as you have seen the prices can still be quite high , and a good few years now ,
it might/will be worth increasing your budget to try and get a high end card
if going for a 2nd hand gpu , just make sure ( all tho it could quite hard if buying from ebay) that the gpu has been hammered to death with over clocks.

What about a 690?

Eh that's a 300W card he would need a 750W PSU to be sure he had enough power for his rig. Plus it's a dual GPU card with all the driver issues associated with going SLI.

Eh that's a 300W card he would need a 750W PSU to be sure he had enough power for his rig. Plus it's a dual GPU card with all the driver issues associated with going SLI.

No major issues at all Moon. I had two running in quad and there were probably only two games where I had any problems. :) I only scan read the OP so didn't realise the PSU wasn't that powerful, my mistake.

No major issues at all Moon. I had two running in quad and there were probably only two games where I had any problems. :) I only scan read the OP so didn't realise the PSU wasn't that powerful, my mistake.

No problem Boltlock. I don't know what PSU he has either but I would guess its not a very high wattage and several years old.

No problem Boltlock. I don't know what PSU he has either but I would guess its not a very high wattage and several years old.

That's fair do's mate. How about a 780Ti then lol? :D

That's fair do's mate. How about a 780Ti then lol? :D

Actually not a bad shout other than the RAM it wouldn't be far of the performance of a 970. might be a bit outside his price range though. Not sure what they go for. :rolleyes:

Actually not a bad shout other than the RAM it wouldn't be far of the performance of a 970. might be a bit outside his price range though. Not sure what they go for. :rolleyes:

Well it just so happens..........:laugh:

I have a 600W PSU that i bought 6 months ago. I always try and find the cheapest way possible to go about upgrading and am paying for it now lol

So i guess the 690's out and I think the 780TI is going to be a bit to expensive looking at it as well.

Does the GTX 970 out perform the R9 290X by a good margin? I can get the 290x for £145 without having to bid on eBay.

I'm so glad i asked you guys about this before i bought one, i would have ended up with a right shitty card haha

Sorry guys didn't realise you posted again are you doing this to me on purpose haha.

How much is this 7970 going for lol?

I'll sell you a 780Ti for 150 quid all in, if you're not fussed about the box. :D

The 7970? You're looking at about 20 quid and that's including the box lol. :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom