Graphics Card help needed quick

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MJR_UK, Apr 30, 2007.

1. MJR_UK

MJR_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hello!

I've got a compaq presario sr1000 and I've just bought a Nvidia agp GeForce 7600 GS from pc world. Now i've taken the card out of the packaging and tried to put it in the agp slot, but it isnt fitting.

Now im no whizz with upgrading pc's. I know its not a pci slot im trying to get it into but im abit worried that ive got the wrong card or something. I did I quick search on google to find out if my pc had a spare agp slot but now Im doubting whether it actually has one, thus potentially throwing away 84.99!

Could someone please give me some guidance?

cheers

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
  3. MJR_UK

MJR_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think mines the one with the agp slot but is it meant to be so hard to get the card to go in the slot. Also theres a few difference to my motherboard and the one in the photo. Mine has space for 4 sticks of ram.

Worst comes the the worst, would pc world take the card back if its been opened? I have reciepts and was only bought today

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    What is the make and model number of your Motherboard. Example I found yours according to the HP site to MSI MS6577. This is the biggest clue to anyone to give you help.
    Cards can be hard to insert, the little clip at the back of the slot is it pulled back and down?. To insert the card slowly rock it in making sure that the metal bar at the front locates into the slot of the case.

5. MJR_UK

MJR_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    the motherboard has ms-7184 on it. version 1

The thing that I think is the agp slot has a small leaver on it however it only goes back abit and won't move to either side

6. MJR_UK

MJR_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I put the pc back together and had a fiddle round in 'my computer'. It turns out i've prehaps only got pci slots. Thanks for your help anyway

Prehaps this is in the wrong section but would pc world refund this for me? or are they just a bunch of bastards when it comes to returns.

7. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
  8. MJR_UK

MJR_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    so true. Many thanks for your help and sorry for my stupidity in this matter. Hopefully It'll be resolved tomorrow. I thought pci-e was quite a new thing and having my pc for about 2 years now I thought there'd be no way it would have a pci-e slot on it

9. skippyonspeed

skippyonspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else thinking of changing their AGP graphics card, be advised to check the number and position of the notches on the card tallies with what the brown motherboard agp slot will accept, their are 4 different combinations.