1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card help needed plz

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by *hutch*, Jun 2, 2005.

1. *hutch*

*hutch*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card and i'm some what inexperienced in this particular field.

I have a XP 2800+, 1GB DDR and a Gigabyte MB, 240 Gb HD with a AGP port available.

My budget is nothing more than £100. I'm more a PS2 gamer, but when i play CS and FarCry i want to be able to see the benefits of using a PC.

I heard the 6600 GT was pretty good, but it's a tad over budget. Any ideas?

Good quiality and cheap(ish) any ideas?

Any ideas?
    T.

2. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,280
    If your not strictly Nvidia you could go for the ATI Radeon 9800 which is just under £100 off somewhere like ebay. It should run Counter Strike and Farcry really easily, I'm running an FX5200 which is nowhere near as good as the Radeon 9800 and it copes with PC Gaming. Hope I've helped. Cheers.

3. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    my old O/C'd 9800pro has just died from heatstroke...

...so I went and got an All-In-Wonder 9800Pro instead for cheaper (now) than when I purchased the original 9800.

I would definately think about purchasing one of these considering their present pricing - an absolute bargain, and a tv tuner thrown into the mix for free (it uses the same R350 core as the non-tv 9800pro so gaming wise it will be just as good).

here's a link to the cheapest place I could find (cheaper than ebay):

linky

*well* worth it. :smashin:

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I use a 9800XT 256 and a 9800pro 128 in my two machines. Its fine for the source engine (CS:S and HL2)but Far Cry is even tougher to run at decent resolution ( above 1024x768) with all the bells and whistles switched on and still maintain a decent fps. Doom3 is even worse albeit very stable.

I'd have to say aim higher than a 9800.

5. *hutch*

*hutch*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a pretty good baregin, thats almost £100 off! Are there any other budget cards less than £100 or is this the cream of the crop with this budget?

Thanks for all the other suggestions guys/girls

T.

6. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For under £100... you wont find anything better.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Yes, personally i'd say go for the All In Wonder 9800 pro for £88! Absolute bargain! :smashin:

8. *hutch*

*hutch*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just so all know, a warning if you will. I bought the 9800 AIW from order247.co.uk.

£88 is very cheap considering ebuyer sell the same thing for £188! BUT when it arrived today it was in an OEM state. Ok. So they do point out the box is only for an illustration, but when i open the RE-sealed static bag i notice the pins were marked, showing the card HAS already been used!

Re-conditioned, or used i called and complained that they advertise a NEW AIW but i recieve a used one. Apparently the "receive all cards like that" (resealed) and the marks were just unlucky, "ATI sometimes return reconditioned cards"

They are sending me a new one tomorrow morning, but be warned! There maybe trouble ahead ....

T.

9. redaction

redaction
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to be thick but what pins and how were they marked? I assume you mean the video outs (DSUB/DVI)? Just intrigued to how you spotted its used state!

Looks like a good deal - good luck with it. Do a search for soft modding the 9800 Pro (256bit/R360? core) to XT. Provided it overclocks okay to XT levels, you'll not need to fit a better cooling solution and you'll find plenty of resources on how to successfully reflash the card's BIOS to the XT version (do check for updated info though as not all cards have the 360 core and I'm going by my own rusty memory which is not good).

A good place to start though is Rojak's Pot

[​IMG]

10. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hutch - interestingly I also received mine and have noticed that the connector shows signs of previous use. I havent had chance to install it yet, but will now send it back, with the intention of receiving a new one, as advertised.

I would be interested to know how you get on.

11. *hutch*

*hutch*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received my replacement yesterday and all seemed welll. Card wasn't in a used condition, no scratches etc

Installed in last night, works like a charm. Gets quite hot, but my Artic cooler will take care of that when i install that tonight!

Hope you don't have any other problems with your card ukwill!

Enjoy :thumbsup:

12. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    got my replacement today and its definately a new one - a workmate got his and his is also a new one, so all is well. fair play to the company for turning it round in 1 day. no problems and very happy.

Hutch - word of caution. if i were you I wouldnt put the artic cooler on. there are lots of posts about 9800pro's dying that had artic coolers attached -- mine also died with an artic cooler on and I only OC'd it when I was gaming (and that isnt that often - 2 or 3x per month!)...

...and the sh1tter is, you void your warranty when you put an artic cooler on (and even if you take it off, they can tell if you try to RMA it). if i were going to OC my GPU again i would probably choose something from Zalman.
    Good luck though.

ps. make sure you completely remove all your old video drivers, then install the latest catalyst ones.

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I've got a 9800pro thats been going for 2 years with an Arctic cooler. No problems.