1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card - "HDTV-out"?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Desk, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I've just bought the components to build a new PC that I hope will be able to deal with all emerging High Definition formats like Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, HD satellite broadcasts, etc..

I bought an XFX 6600GT 128MB (AGP) graphics card, as it has dual DVI outputs and an integrated HDTV decoder which "provides world-class HDTV-out functionality up to and including 1920x1080i resolutions."

However, I've now read two troubling reviews, one of which says, "HDTV output - No," and the other "this card does not seem to work with HDTV out, unlike every other 6600GT card I have seen."

Can anyone tell me what this means? Does this mean that it couldn't output HDTV broadcasts in countries such as US and Australia?

Given that the Sky's HDTV system is likely to be self-contained I guess this wouldn't be an issue in the UK, but what about other HD satellite broadcasts from Europe? Would I need a dedicated HDTV satellite card for those in any case?

This is the one forum where I feel I stand any chance of finding an answer to these concerns, so any information would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Desk

2. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I think I may have figured out what is meant by this...

This site gives the following definition about HDTV-Out on a graphics card....

Here's a picture of the connections on the card.

The graphics card I've just bought has DVI, which presumably could carry a High Definition signal. Anyone know if this "10-pin HDTV" cable provide a better picture, or would DVI be good enough?

The HD display device I would be using would have digital inputs - plasma, LCD, DLP. In order to accept Sky's HD system they will all need DVI or HDMI (which DVI can be converted to.) Therefore, the system I will be using won't require a High Definition S-Video or composite input.

So essentially, HDTV-Out on a graphic cards is designed to allow CRT televisions and projectors to accept an HD signal. Correct?

3. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI is all you need, unless you buy a CRT. Then component may work better.

DVI is the best possible way to pass HDTV signal.

"So essentially, HDTV-Out on a graphic cards is designed to allow CRT televisions and projectors to accept an HD signal. Correct?"

Correct.

"Therefore, the system I will be using won't require a High Definition S-Video or composite input."
    There's no such thing. S-Video or composite connectivity is SD only. The output combines HDTV component cables and SDTV only S-Video cables.

Your card is OK for HDTV on PC.

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Desk,
    Thinking of doing the same thing re the build as about to replace telly and the total upgrade looks to be less risky, much more functional and a huge amount of cash cheaper by going the pc route. Especially when you look at the price of a half decent dvd recorder with hard disk being thrown in the mix.
    You gone Windaz ? the Penguin ? or trying both ?

Steve

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Desk outputting to 1080i via component or DVi will let the TV do the scaling for you.

Im taking the other option which is using the Tv's DVI as a PC connection and letting Power DVD, my CPU and my Video Card do the scaling to the screens 1368-768p res for me, I seriously doubt the Tv's internal scaling can do any better and I get the bonus of a normal PC desktop

6. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I've just realised that the graphics card lists its range up to 1080i, not 1080p.

Is the HD content of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray going to be 1080p (progressive), and if so then will a system using my card be able to handle this?

Will it scale down to the best resolution it can provide, and hopefully not lose too much quality?

Steve - not built the system yet, but what are "Windaz" and "Penguin"?

7. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    he means microsoft or Linux

8. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I think I may be answering my own question again, but if anyone can confirm....?

The graphics card's site says, "Integrated HDTV Encoder. Provides world-class HDTV-out functionality up to and including 1920x1080i resolutions."

Now, most cards of this type support DVI output up to resolutions of 1600x1200. So does the above statement mean that the card has onboard support for HDTV up to 1080i, and carries that workload, but is still probably capable of outputting higher resolutions, like 1080p?

Presumably, at the higher resolutions it's left up to the CPU alone to handle the computations necessary to translate the data into an image?

BTW, thanks for clarifying that, Ironduke. I'll most likely be going the "Windaz" route... XP Pro.

Desk

9. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Ironduke nailed it.
    If its a standalone machine ther a lot of srvices you can turn off. if its a networked machine there are still a lot to turn off ! look at Blackviper's website.
    I normally run both operating systems on my machines but haven't done a HCPC config.
    linux has pretty good multimedia support built-in - you just need to install a few freely available RPMs to add the other stuff you need. plus sites like linuxtv.org
    looks like I will have to sit down and do some research to get a good config sorted out.
    Need to get the hidef capable (DLP) tv first though... I did think the sagem 45 incher was going to be it but no longer sure.

Good luck with the build. by all means (assuming your good graces) update the HCPC forum with the outcome/config/probs/whatever/ - it seems a little out of date and could do with some freshening up.