Graphics Card for my Laptop advice please

XPS GAMER

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi guys Ive just bought a secondhand Dell XPS M1730 Laptop for gaming.
I couldnt afford to fork out £1500+ so settled for a secondhand unit which has ok specs I think as Im new to laptops. I know PC's are alot better than a laptops at gaming but I just dont have the room for a PC. I have bought a Dell XPS M1730 specs below

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz Processor

Nvidea 8700M GT SLI

17 inch 1920 x 1200 screen.

4gig Ram

Blue tooth

Wi Fi

500gb Hard Drive

The Guy I bought it from said he paid £1700 2 years ago I paid £450 not sure if thats a good deal or not Im sure you guys could tell me but either way its to late now :)

Im not going to be playing the latest hi spec games as I know most PC's struggle but anything is an improvment over me Samsung Nc10 for playing games :thumbsup:

Any way back to what the thread was about lol got a bit side tracked anyway I was looking to maybe if its gonna make a huge difference upgrade the Graphics Card to the 8800 GTX SLI Ive seen all the you tube Vids on how to do it but would probably get a pro or someone who knows what they are doing to do this for me, Is that card a big improvement over the fitted on I have or are the other that I could buy and if so where from that are better than the 8800 GTX that would fit in my M1730?

Any constructive advice on anything related to the XPS and my questions would be a massive help!

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

yes the 88's will fit and the 98's will

your biggest problem will be finding a unit as the the going price for the 88's is about £6-800 the 98's £8-1000

the 88's will be a big improvement over the 87's

the only problems your'll have with the laptop is heat as it creates a lot so make sure you raise the back up about a inch to help the air flow laptop coolers are a bit useless with this laptop

also another upgrade you could make is the cpu try and get a X7900 or X9000 extreme cpu

Appreciate the advice where would the best place to buy graphics cards for laptop a link would be great.

do a google search but sorry to say they are like rocking horse doo doo

or you might get lucky on ebay

and if dell do them your'll be parting with over a grand

the only other way to get them is to buy another laptop

sorry it's not helpful but thats the situation with these laptops but at least you know you can upgrade them unlike most others

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom