1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card for HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gslater, May 10, 2005.

1. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I am looking for the best graphics card for my htpc...specs for the pc are:

AMD 64 3000+
    MSI KT8 Neo mobo (PCI-E)
    Silverstone LC03 case
    Zalman 7700 cooler
    Seagate Barracude 320gig HD
    1 gig Corsair memory
    Windows MCE

I am not looking to do high end gaming, but want to get a decent grpahics card for some limited video editing.

The current proposal is to get the Nvidia 6600GT card....I belive there is a fanless version with a DVI connection.

Also, will the fanless version cause the pc to run too hot with the AMD64 chip...not too sure about how the airflow is in the Silverstone case?

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Gigabyte Fanless 6600GT in my silverstone with a AMD64 3500 CPU

Temps are ok using 1 intake and 1 outtake fan running on low settings.

I also use a fanless PSU so if you have a PSU with a fan then you will defo not have any problems and could maybe ditch the case fans

3. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Betamac

How do you find the Silverstone case....I was also considering the Accent HT400 but it is a lot more money (£209) versus the LC03V which is £140...is there plkenty of space to work in the LC03? As this is my first "build" I need to know if the case is easy to work with (but obviously still needs to look cracking good!)

On the graphics casrd, what is the model number of your 6600GT? Did you consider other choices for cards or was the 6600GT your first and only choice?

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    A very cool running card is the 9600xt Ultimate as found here (out of stock right now!) Mine does nothing to raise temps in my Shuttle SB61G2 unless I am beasting it with a particularily graphics intensive game and then it is no big deal. The 6600GT is a generation newer with enhancements that are supposed to help its cinematic performance but my understanding is these have never worked fully. However its passive heatsinks are larger than that of the Radeon card, suggesting greater heat dissipation. They are about the same price but the 6600GT outperforms the 9600's bigger brother (9800pro) in 3d applications making it the more attractive to some.

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The silverstone is very easy to use, lots of space inside, looks smart, not rregretted that purchase atall.

I did not really look at any orther cards as i wanted the Pure Video feature from the 6600GT series and the gigabyte is the only Fanless card in that series of cards and its a cracking card :)

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
  7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That article is not actually correct though as you dont HAVE to buy the Nvidia DVD Decoder

If your building a HCPC the chances are your going to buy a top end player, i use theatretek which takes full advantage of Pure video straight away with nothing else to buy, so i have not spent more than i would anyway on using Pure video.

P.S and you dont have to use WMP either so they should research abit more

Just noticed you mentioned about pure video not working fully, there was a problem with Pure Video on the 6800 generation of cards and there handling of WMV format, that was totally fixed with the 6600 series of cards and it works flawless

You can play 720 or 1080 WMV video with less than 10% CPU activity, which makes a massive difference in terms of heat generated when using a HCPC for movie playing, not to mention a superb picture

8. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok...so where is the best place to buy ones of these bad boys (Gigabyte Fanless 6600GT)?

also, betamac...where did you get your case from?

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. jimnorth

jimnorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Is it possible to make/buy a VGA to RGB Scart lead for the Gigabyte Fanless 6600GT ?
    I read somewhere that peeps have been making them for their 6800's but not read anything about the 6600. :smashin:

11. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    if u dont need the gaming aspects , u can get the 6600 vanilla version (not GT) whch does the same purevideo stuff for abt £100

12. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    but is is passively cooled? I am looking to reduce the noise

13. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I stand corrected, though you do understand I read Suhdian a lot and have always considered it a reputable source. :)

14. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was planning to buy an ATI X800XL based card but I only realised the other day that Nvidia had hardware decode for WMV HD. I was planning to switch to a 6800GT which is the performance equivalent of the XL. So the statement above set off a few alarm bells. Have the PureVision problems on 6800's been fixed on cards that ship now.

The other thing I am a little worried about is heat. I was going to use a HIS ICEQ card which vents directly out of the PC and has a good reputation for low noise. The only review on 6800GT's I have found that comments on noise is for the Gigabyte card. The comments on this card were not terrible favorable in terms of heat generation and it also isn't available with dual DVI. Is there a HTPC freindly alternative?

15. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365