Graphics card for F1 2010 @ 1920x1080

Mr Lazy

Hi all, I would like to upgrade to my graphics card to play F1 2010 and other racing games (DIRT2 etc.) at 1920x1080 with high settings and get a decent smooth frame rate. I don't actually have a 24" monitor yet but that will be next on the shopping list.

Do you think a 1GB 5750 will be enough? Or will I need to stretch to a 5770? Thing is, I will be able to afford a brand new 5750, but if I plump for a 5770 it will probably have to be a used one like a Novatech refurb on their ebay shop.

Miss Chief

I don't really think either of those cards will do justice to a 1080p display. You'll be compromised by having to turn detail down to get a stable frame rate. IMO you should be looking at a Nvidia GTX460 1GB or AMD 5850/6870 as a STARTING point.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I don't really think either of those cards will do justice to a 1080p display. You'll be compromised by having to turn detail down to get a stable frame rate. IMO you should be looking at a Nvidia GTX460 1GB or AMD 5850/6870 as a STARTING point.
Well, they should run just fine at 1920x1080 at an acceptable frame rate and quality but if you do want all the bells and whistles you will be looking at a fair bit more.

IIRC the 5770 is around 20% faster, nice to have but the icing on the cake to make a almost smooth frame rate very smooth and it won't run significantly better when 5750 really struggles.

Last edited:

Mr Lazy

Thanks both for your replies. I can't justify the expense of a 460 or 5850 and my current PSU probably wouldn't cope anyway so I certainly couldn't justify the cost of a 5850+24" LCD+new PSU.

I think it's going to have to be a 5770 then and hope that I don't have to turn details down too much :) I think this is the most powerful card that my current PSU will support. Scan had a XFX 5770 down £10 to £96 on a today only yesterday which was tempting and ebuyer had XFX's XXX edition down to £98 which is a good price and it was meant to last until Thurs but ebuyer have done their usual trick of putting the price back up early :mad:

Berties

Banned
My ancient PC copes well with F1 2010, dunno why saying need something so great, and that's at 1920x1200. AA disabled though. No slowdown 8800GT, medium gfx, native. Looks great and not much detail in F1 tracks anyway...just disable some effects and nice and smooth (dislike ott post processing) bit of HDR is nice though.

Mr Lazy

My ancient PC copes well with F1 2010, dunno why saying need something so great, and that's at 1920x1200. AA disabled though. No slowdown 8800GT, medium gfx, native. Looks great and not much detail in F1 tracks anyway...just disable some effects and nice and smooth (dislike ott post processing) bit of HDR is nice though.
Yeah I meant to say that F1 2010 (and maybe DIRT2 and other CM titles a bit less) seem to need less graphics power and work well on more powerful dual or quad core systems so I'm hoping that a 5770 will be ok. I've found that changing most of the graphics settings in F1 doesn't make a huge difference to the way it looks anyway (though I'll notice more on a 24" for sure) but you can gain several FPS.

ninja 12

Well, they should run just fine at 1920x1080 at an acceptable frame rate and quality but if you do want all the bells and whistles you will be looking at a fair bit more.

IIRC the 5770 is around 20% faster, nice to have but the icing on the cake to make a almost smooth frame rate very smooth and it won't run significantly better when 5750 really struggles.
I've played Dirt 2 with three different cards in my HTPC , running at 1920 x 1080 -

5670 (512MB Version ) ,
5750 (1GB Version )
and my current card , a 5770 (1GB Sapphire Vapor-X )

My cpu is only an Athlon 5050e @ 2.6 Ghz so it's not the most powerful around .
With all three graphics cards I was getting near enough 100% cpu usage , so a bit of bottlenecking happening with my cpu .

With the 5670 , I had the settings for Dirt 2 at a mixture of low and medium and the game looked really nice and played well .

With the 5750 , I had all the settings for Dirt 2 at medium and the game looked really nice and played well .

With the 5770 , I have all the settings turned up full ( high and ultra ) and the game is perfectly playable and looks amazing .
I just ran the Dirt 2 benchmark from within the game and it tells me the average fps is 33.3 . If I turn some of the settings down a little , I get an average of just over 40 fps . Either way , it loks good to me .

If I had a better / more powerful cpu , I'd expect to get better frame rates .
I'll probably upgrade my cpu at some stage , but I'm not in any rush to do so .

If you can stretch to a 5770 , do it .

Hope this helps .

Last edited:

Miss Chief

My comments were also based on future options as well. Whilst it may be OK for F1 now, what about any new games that come out that he also wants to play? Last thing he wants to do is have to replace the card this time next year for F1 2011.

Mr Lazy

ninja 12 thanks for that really useful post.

I have a G0 Q6600 overclocked to 3Ghz.

It "feels" like DIRT2 is slightly more graphically demanding than F1 2010 even though they use the same engine so hopefully F1 will play a little smoother though I haven't compared the benchmark tests on my current setup so maybe I'll do that.

If you can stretch to a 5770 , do it .
Yep, I've a feeling that if I get anything less than a 5770 I'll be forever wishing I'd spent a bit more, even if there have been some good deals on 5750s lately. Looks like I'll have to go with a Novatech refurb though if I can't get a special offer on a new 5770, only snag is that they tend to be either VTX or Powercolor but sometimes a Sapphire comes up, which go for a bit more as you'd expect.

Best price on a new 5770 I can find at the moment: Novatech ATI Radeon 5770 1024MB GDDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Graphics Card - Retail

Mr Lazy

My comments were also based on future options as well. Whilst it may be OK for F1 now, what about any new games that come out that he also wants to play? Last thing he wants to do is have to replace the card this time next year for F1 2011.
It's a fair point and I take that into consideration, though as I have two young kids I don't have that much time for gaming so I don't expect to be buying many new games, apart from F1 2011 of course :)

Berties

Banned
probably best to look at 6xxx series. GPU's advance so top end previous gen are left behind newer, cheaper models. My 8800GT is far quicker than my 1900XT. The 1900XT cost quite a bit more at the time. 8800GT about £100.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
probably best to look at 6xxx series. GPU's advance so top end previous gen are left behind newer, cheaper models. My 8800GT is far quicker than my 1900XT. The 1900XT cost quite a bit more at the time. 8800GT about £100.
Unfortunately ATI and nVidia have taken to making a mockery out of their naming schemes lately, the 6000 GPUs are the refinement to the 5000, not the new generation (i.e. the 8800GT to the 8800GTS 320/640mb).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom