Graphics Card for Dell Dimension 5150

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by sanu999, Aug 6, 2012.

1. sanu999

sanu999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just want to upgrade/change my graphics card (ati 128mb)
    Please see the documentation...
    Documentation

Please help me to find a graphics card for my system and also a power supply unit ( current one is only 305watts)

i am using my PC for Photoshop and want to start use Adobe Premier...thanks in advance

2. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  3. sanu999

sanu999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate...

4. sanu999

sanu999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i checked that one on amazon and its saying it requires at least 400 watts power supply. do you reckon the current power supply 305watts is enough? sorry i am not familiar with the hardware...

5. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    Why on earth are you recommending an AMD card for Adobe Premier? It only supports CUDA which is exclusive to nVidia cards.

System Requirements

Although given your system requirements as well below those suggested for the full version of premier I guess you're using Premier Elements.

Premier Elements System Requirements.

That doesn't list any graphics card required at all, which usually means it won't use the graphics processor and changing the card won't make a bit of difference.

7. sanu999

sanu999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply endlesswaves. I didn't start using Adobe Premier. I just want to make sure my system won't crash while using this software. I don't want to change my PC. I want to replace the graphics card ( i believe that will reduce the workload of CPU, especially working with photoshop ) and also i can add a second monitor. As i mentioned in my first post, the power supply is only 305watts. so i am looking something that dosen't need to connect to PSU or that can work under the current PSU.:lease:

Sorry i am a big zero on these hardware things...:confused:

8. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi EndlessWaves, did not realise that the software was Nvidia specific, was merely looking at his system requirements (ref power supply), still live and learn.:lesson:

9. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    Crashes are when something unexpected happens, having a too slow system should simply result in everything running slow or an error message.

'Graphics cards' are a combination of basic output circuitry and a powerful parallel processor. The former doesn't affect performance, only what displays you can connect.

The parallel graphics processor (GPU) is primarily designed for 3d graphics and the normal way of accessing it talks about vertexes and shaders which isn't terrible helpful for most programs such as those for photo/video editing. In the last few years there has been a development of more general purpose ways of accessing it like CUDA and OpenCL but support for these is still far from widespread. Partly because not all existing hardware supports them and partly because a parallel processor like the GPU is a lot harder to use for many tasks than a normal processor that does things one after the other in a predictable order (the CPU).

The bottom line is that outside of 3d games and 3d modelling a program isn't likely to use the graphics card processor so unless it specifically says it does then you can assume it'll make very little or no difference.

What's your current card? By the time 128mb cards came out and certainly by the time your system was produced dual monitor support was pretty much standard across the range so I'd be surprised if you couldn't add a second monitor without an upgrade (if it was a low end card to begin with then you may be limited in resolution, if you want to run two 1920x1200 screens then that might require an upgrade).

Power-wise, cheaper cards use less power so a GT520/6450/5450/G210 would all use around 25W maximum.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  10. sanu999

sanu999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much EndlessWaves for the good explanation..will install adobe premier and let you know how it goes...