Graphics card for 2560x1440

tolmie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im looking for a graphics card that will run games at the above resolution. It would also be good if it could run VR as I may dip my toe in that in the future, what would you guys recommend, I've seen the new amd card thats around £200 but that wont go to the res I want with high frame rates, is my only and best option the 1070, they are not cheap.

I wil probably want to play a mix of old to new, def want to play doom 3, forza horizon, witcher 3, titanfall etc. I think my only option is the 1070, its just a bit dearer than I had hoped.

A 970 will blast everything at 1440 totally maxed out, you only need to switch AA off to get it running at 4k.

Cheers Brynhh, that sounds interesting. The 970 is more in my price range, I'll have a look at them.

A 970 will blast everything at 1440 totally maxed out, you only need to switch AA off to get it running at 4k.
No, a 970 will not blast everything at 1440p. It will cope well but for a lot of games, you're going to be dialling back the gfx settings, and not just turning off AA (which is less of an issue at 1440p anyway).

That is of course you're after 60fps, which should be the top priority over extra eye candy.

ok, it sounds like 1070 is my only option then.

ok, it sounds like 1070 is my only option then.
With a 1070 you're going to be in a much better position, along with better future proofing yourself considerably.

Cheers Brynhh, that sounds interesting. The 970 is more in my price range, I'll have a look at them.

Sorry mate, I wasn't being serious, there's a comment about the 970 in another thread I was referencing. I run at 1440 and been looking a lot into stuff, if you want to max out games at 60fps including modern stuff like Rise of the Tomb Raider you'll need a 980ti or 1070.

No, a 970 will not blast everything at 1440p. It will cope well but for a lot of games, you're going to be dialling back the gfx settings, and not just turning off AA (which is less of an issue at 1440p anyway).

That is of course you're after 60fps, which should be the top priority over extra eye candy.

Yeah I know, I'm just referencing the discussion in the 10xx thread.

Even the 980ti isn't hitting 60FPS with Maxxed settings on the newest games @1440p now :(

Even the 980ti isn't hitting 60FPS with Maxxed settings on the newest games @1440p now :(

Is that with or without aa?

I have a AMD fury nitro, copes well at 1440, worth looking at as they are cheaper and more powerful than a 480/580, Nvidia side as said 980ti/1070 or above

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom