1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card - fanless, DVI and VIVO - does such a beast exist?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by APC, Nov 4, 2004.

1. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've searched high and low for a graphics card that is silent, has DVI output and VIVO. Can anyone point me in the direction. I'm not a gamer, so it doesn't have to be massively powerful.

I was considering one of the new ATI All-In-Wonders but they all seem to feature big fans. :(

Many thanks.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why not choose a card then fit a big heatsink to it? They're easy to fit and means you can choose a card with the features you want rather than accept something simply because it's got one already fitted .. true, a bit more expensive perhaps.

3. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but I'm going to be using a Shuttle, and I don't think that will fit!

Any other ideas?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah. okay, I guess that's not going to work .. 'fraid not, there are few fanless cards in the first place and higher-end ones use those Zalman's or something equally as massive, the only other cards I've seen with heatsinks of other designs are not ViVo capable.

5. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feared this would be the case. I may have to compromise. Are there any VIVO cards that are noted for their quietness?

I've always had ATI, so can't really compare. The fan on my current All-in-Wonder Radeon (32MB!) from three years ago makes a lot of noise. It was even worse before I oiled it. :D

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't have ViVo cards, not having the need I'm fraid, so can't comment on their noise. To be honest it's this sort of thing, finding cards that can fit, which turned me off mini-ATX systems after having a Shuttle for a short time.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fairly sure that when I bought my radeon VE a few years ago I was torn between that and an a version that had ViVo.

I opted for just the video out option in the end for cost and the fact that, at the time, I had no need to capture. As the VE has DVI out I assume the other card would have done.

It may be worth while searching eBay. I just did an it seems you need a Radeon 9200 here which you will probably only find secondhand. try a want ad on this and other forums.

Pictures here

Dave

8. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you could always get one with a fan, and get a fan mate (£8) on it, if you drop the rpm by 50% the noise will drop off really quick, and if you dont o/c then it will be more than fine :)

good luck

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can you get a fan-mate that works with graphics card fans? IMX their connectors seem too small to fit a fan-mate.

10. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DaveP. I'll look for 9200.

11. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well they dont go straigh on kragorn, but ill bet a bodge on teh gound a 12v would do the trick (either that or an inline resistor)

12. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0