• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Graphics card confusion

andicapped

Banned
i know this sort of question has been asked a million times but i'm not completely pc savvy and dont really understand the differences between all the cards. i'm just after a few options without spending a fortune

the point on my HTPC is simply for HD movie playback, both from disc and from iso blu-rays.

i am currently using the onboard graphics, via HDMI on the mobo

i want to know if
A. a graphics card would improve things
B. what card, needs to be silent, preferably have HDMI out

i'm not much of a pc gamer so not to bothered about that. i may get a flight sim in the future

smooth HD media playback at 1080p is a must and as quiet (silent) as possible, i would stretch to £80 but i'm hoping i can go much cheaper than that

Last edited:

Sheepish

Hi, first of all - what motherboard / onboard gpu do you have?

If its quite old then adding any low end latest generation gpu (ATI 4350 / 4550 or equivelent Nvidia) for £40 will allow you to play (hardware accelerated encoded) 1080P movies with ease. If its a newish motherboard with onboard HD3200 / 8200 or the like then poor playback is likely down to codecs.

andicapped

Banned
hi sheepish,

it has hd3200 OB, playback isn't poor at the moment, just thought a decent card would make it better, maybe i'm wrong and the onboard is doing as good a job?

fathazza

its not worth upgrading as that motherboard has basically the same hardware decoding as standalone graphics cards when it comes to bluray etc...

jameson_uk

mobo is GA-MA78GM-S2H
As above you will get little or no improvement on HD material but you would possibly get an improvement in SD. You state you are only looking for HD so I would stick with what you have

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom