Quantcast

Graphics Card component Video Output

Moonlighter

Standard Member
Hi,

I am currently building a HTPC and am having problems outputting to a projector using the component output dongle. I get an image but it is in black & white (No color). The card I am using is an Nvidia 7600GT from Gigabyte. I have updated the latest drivers from the web site but this still hasn't resolved the problem. I connected the card to the projector using the DVI connection and the image was perfect but I need to use the component option as my AV setup uses component. I did connect the cable directly to the projector rather than through my amp and still had the problem. The dongle works with S-video and composite but not component. I have used the display control panel and have selected component but this doesn't help. What am I doing wrong?

Moonlighter

Standard Member
Thanks for the info. I had checked the NVidia settings but looking at this made me double check. I set the settings and the color came back minus the Blue signal (Green & Red only). I changed the dongle and this now works perfectly.

One thing I have noticed is the quality between DVI and component. The text on the screen isn't as sharp as the DVI connection. Component is sharper than S-Video and composite but nothing on DVI. I was under the impression there was no difference between the quality of DVI and Component. Am I correct or is there another setting I have missed out?

KraGorn

Novice Member
I was under the impression there was no difference between the quality of DVI and Component. Am I correct or is there another setting I have missed out?
If all else is equal DVI (digital) is superior to Component (analog) .. by how much (if at all) depends totally on the equipment in the chain. Often people will say they see no difference, or even the component is better, which only goes to show theory doesn't always work. :)

The point here is that with a digital display, keeping the signal from source to destination in the digital domain eliminates noise and other artifacts introduced by D->A->D conversion and avoids the need for the display to 'lock on' to the pixel information in an analog input .. this shows up as the less 'sharp' appearance for example you are seeing.

Top Bottom