Graphics Card Competition

Bubbam3030

Novice Member
I recently built my first computer in ten years. I was on a budget so I decided to go a little on the cheap side for things more easily replaceable such as the graphics card and ram. I have already upgraded the RAM. I purchased a single ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB Phoenix Fan OC Edition HDMI DVI Graphics Card (PH-GT1030-O2G) for a little under a hundred bucks with plans to upgrade later. However someone just gave me two ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) DirectX 11 ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. While they are older, only 1Gb per, and PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0 cards it appears they are better quality and still worth more brand new than the one I purchased and I can run the two of them simultaneously with my motherboard currently. So my question is to people who understand this way better than me: is this a good upgrade or should I look to just sell/donate the two and wait to upgrade later. Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210212-191826_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210212-191826_Firefox.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210212-191817_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210212-191817_Firefox.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 11

next010

Distinguished Member
The GTX 560TI is faster than GT 1030 even as a single GPU and for games that still work with SLI it should run a bit faster too.

If you can sell them and get a single higher end GPU that would be better but that depends entirely on how much money you have.

The current GTX 1650 around £170 is much better than a GTX 560TI.

I'd use them in the interim until you can afford something better.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member

From what little testing that link shows I'd expect it to be slower. The 560Ti is 20% faster in the older counter strike but the GT 1030 is 35% faster in the newer league of legends, which I'd expect to better reflect the performance in games you'd want to play now.

SLI may be possible, but it's not that widely supported by the newer, more demanding games.

They're similar cards with the GT 1030 having the edge so that'd be my default choice. If it's a temporary measure it's worth looking at factors like second hand value. If the GT 1030 sells for much more locally then it may be worth keeping a 560ti instead.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Finding any card of higher spec seems to be just about impossible at the moment, even the GTX1650 is out of stock everywhere. We've had to fit a 1030 into daughter's new gaming build as there was simply nothing else in stock!

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom