1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Adapter with Component output capability

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by peezee, Mar 13, 2005.

1. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a budget graphics adapter for PC that has Component video output capabilities; searched the forum but couldn't find any clear indication (sorry if this has been answered before anyway).

In essence right now I have a PC with a pretty old ATI adapter (Radeon VE Dual display) with VGA and DVI-D outputs, and will want to connect it to my upcoming Panny 42PA50 (should be in next week), that has neither DVI nor VGA inputs (a little bothering but... should be good for 1 to 1 1/2 years! :rolleyes: ).

So I'm planning to use its single Component input and tie it to my PC - therefore the need for a new G.A. with Y,Pb,Pr capability. I think I'll need it to be able to generate at least 852x480@50/60/72Hz and 1280x720@50/60/72Hz (though I've read 1024x576 works great too).

I've read in the AVS Forum that you can "emulate" the ATI HDTV Component dongle on most ATI cards starting w/ the 8500 series I think, but it looks a bit clunky (e.g. each time you reboot you need to disconnect the VGA-> Component cable and reconnect it later, and stuff like this... :rolleyes: ).

I've found a g.a. that fits the bill greatly, the Club3D XGi Volari V3 XT , however it doesn't seem to sell where I live... :(

TIA, :)

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the fanless 6600gt card which I bought from scan.co.uk last week came with a dongle that had component output on it. There were no dip switches on it like the ati dongle, and I havent tested it yet, but I presume it does what it says on the tin.

this http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=164948 is the one I got, but beware it is pci express and will not fit into an agp machine. There is an equivalent agp version, but I dont know if it is supplied with the same dongle.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfoZoom.asp?WebProductID=178511

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    All new Radeon cards can output component, and most of the older ones can with an adaptor that costs about £25.

4. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

pinkprobegt, I know about the ATI dongle, however you can't order it from France (in fact I thought that dongle was only allowed for the US and Canadian markets...?).

In the meantime I've found a retailer that supposedly sells a Club3D board based on the Volari V3XT chipset, so I'll try them tomorrow and see how it goes (it's just 49€ + shipping).

Here's a link to the Club3D page for those interested:
    http://www.club-3d.nl/productshow_vga.php?ordercode=CGX-V38TVD&show=&filter=&p=1_full

Note that this card has DVI, VGA/Y,Pb,Pr and S-Video outputs, supports 720p and 1080i HDTV formats, performs real-time MPEG2 decoding (leaving the CPU alone for other tasks), doesn't need fans (heatsink only) therefore totally silent in yr PC, has a small form factor (great for DivxBox type HCPC too), delivers a picture comparable if not better than ATI cards (from all review I've read so far), all for a mere 49€ (about 35£ I think)... :smashin:

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to find a supplier for one of these cards, could you give us a link to yours please?

Thanks

Dave

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
  8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well mate actually I'm not based in the UK (I live in Paris) so none of those. :)
    BTW still haven't been able to contact any vendor for this card, looks like it won't be easy... :rolleyes: