Graphic Card - Advice + Recommendation? Please?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by .hack, Apr 24, 2007.

1. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You hear people saying it's easy to get new graphic cards working, but is it really as simple as removing and my old card and plugging in the new one? Will any card work with my 5-6 year old PC?

Assuming you don't have to know what you're doing when removing/installing a card, which good and cheapish card would you recommend for anime and movie watching?

My monitor has showed up a problem where things "move" on dark colours, kinda like constant flickering. However, I just tried plugging in my incredibly dark old 17" CRT monitor and I can just about see the problem on that...I'm guessing my graphic card could do with being replaced.

My current card = Radeon 9600 Pro (AGP)
    OS / Spec: Win XP, AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 2.16GHz, 512MB RAM

2. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,578
    basically yes it is that easy - remove the old one, remove all the old drivers/software (use driverclean cc or alike, google for it!) and then plug new one in and install drivers for it.

Make sure that it is a gfx card that is able to be used on your system firstly but it's not that hard.:smashin:

Not really to sure what is a decent "older" gen card for you but guessing it is an AGP type card so something similar to your existing card should be fine for general watching a movie etc on the pc.

3. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Check.

I already have DriverCleaner on my comp, I used it a fair bit when trying to remove and install drivers to get 1440x900 to work without issue.

I just need to make sure I have a free PCI or AGP slot (my current is AGP)...right? :confused:

Yeah, all I need for it for is anime (720P anime works on my crappy comp, yay!) and movies. I'd be happy if not for this "movement" on dark colours.

It would be nice if someone could point me in the direction of something cheap and highly rated, I can't say I've ever shopped for this kinda thing before. :devil:

4. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    How cheap???

AS I posted on another thread, I would recommend a 7600GT for around £90, you might find it cheaper online. But it's one of the best AGP cards available.

If you have less than 90 to spend, then try and aim for the ATIx1650pro or the 7600GS. You will find these for around £70.

Good luck.
    Reaper.

5. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Was thinking around £50 max. I don't want to spend £100 when I'm not 100% sure getting a new card will fix it.

From my quick google search (7600GT AGP UK), I see 7600GT PCIE, 7600GS... no 7600GT AGP. Any chance of a link to avoid confusion?

6. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
  7. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    What make/model is your motherboard ?

8. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Edit: ^ Good question. I don't know much about my PC, it was a gift given to me by my mother around 5 years ago.

I just had a look with PC Wizard 2006. All I can see is "Mainboard - Unspecified nVidia-nForce"...

Here's all the information:

----

There's one thing I know about my problem - It only happens when I'm watching something. If you pause it freezes along with what you're watching.

Is the ATI Radeon 9800 better than my current 9600 Pro card (256MB)? All these stats are starting to give me one big headache.

£18 wouldn't be too bad to test if it is really the card. For all I know the AGP slot could be damaged...or my fan could be blowing too much air at my card. :rotfl:

9. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Sorry for the double post!

Just took the side off my PC. It's awful crowded around the graphics card, there's no space between the card and the thing next to it. The fan on the card looks kinda melted...can't see it very clearly without removing it.

Would an AGP card fit into a PCI slot? My AGP slot the card is in doesn't look much like how the images I've seen online.

Edit:Now, I'm going to post a snapshot taken from the SS 720P version of Romeo x Juliet. It's hard to express how bad it looks when frozen, but you should be able to see what I'm on about if you look at what should be his perfectly clear face.

[​IMG]