Granite Speaker Plinths

MovieFan60

Established Member
Reaction score
Am looking to get a pair of granite plinths for my front speakers.

Can anyone recommend a company - has anyone used Chichester Granite?

Had a look at the prices of the company you mentioned and I'm sure they're charging what they are because everything is handmade.

If that's what you want, then fair enough. But if the footprint of your speakers is 40 cm x 30 cm, then Argos or Ebay will do just as well for far less outlay:

Results for granite chopping boards

granite chopping boards | eBay

I got mine from Argos a few years' ago, £10 each, work perfectly!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Define what you mean by plinths?

Are we talking a thin platform to protect your floors, or are are we talking essentially speakers stands made of granite?

Specifically what brand and model are the speakers?

Will they be on the floor or are these shelf-top, cabinet-top, or desktop speakers?

How far up do you expect to raise the speakers?

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks guys for your replies. Had never thought of chopping boards, just had look on ebay and they look like they will do the job perfectly!

Another satisfied customer of these Forums!:thumbsup:

And Steve - you ask too many complicated questions!;)

For what it's worth, Steve, I love your replies because they are always considered, incredibly well researched, non-directive and essentially neutral. You never tell people what to do, you just guide and advise them but let them make their own decisions.

Keep up the good work!:smashin:

Just to chime in on this, I had B&W XT8s which despite having their own metal plinth which was circular I wanted a circular piece of granite to sit them on. Chopping boards etc from Argos weren't big enough so I went to B&Q and bought two parasol stands and just took the granite plinths from them! They worked well!

Also keep in mind that those who make grave markers can custom make a stone to your specification. Though if you can actually contact the stone supplier instead of the grave marker seller, you can certainly save a lot of money.

Also, companies that make Kitchen Counter Tops can also make custom designs. The custom kitchen counter tops come in two types, natural stone in a variety of colors, and in man-made stone where quartz crystals (essentially granite) are glued into custom solid shapes. Again, many colors and finishes available.

I haven't priced these, but I would not expect them to cost a king's ransom. As before, the closer to the supplier and the fewer middle men that are in the mix, the lower the cost will be.

Steve/bluewizard

I would suggest sitting down before getting quotes for custom kitchen work surfaces, that's all I'm saying... lol

As I said, the closer to the supplier and the fewer middle men, the lower the cost is going to be. If you can track them down, there are warehouses that stock large quantities of stone from around the world. Assuming you can find them, they would probably give you the best price.

It is also possible to get Granite (or marble) floor tiles in 18" x 18" (~ 457mm x 457mm) for a very reasonable cost. Any place the specializes in floor tiles can help you out. Many places specializing in Floor Tile also have the tools to cut an 18x18 floor tile down to the specific size you want.

Kitchen counter tops are usually sold by the foot or by a similar unit of measurement. Then extra for all the fancy features and contoured edges. Or in some cases by the Square Foot.

You would likely only need (roughly) 300mm x 400mm (1ft x 1.3ft).

As an example, Mountain Tile has 610 x 305 x 10mm Premium Black Granite tiles for £6.51 per tile.

Black Premium Galaxy Granite - Granite Tiles - Natural Stone - Tiles

Also Topps Tiles -

Grey (Radiant Brahama) Granite for £11.62/tile (60cm x 30cm) -

Radiant Brahma Granite 60x30 | Topps Tiles

I know nothing about these companies, they simply came up on a Google-UK search.

Seek and you will find.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom