Granite slab on top of sub..physics question...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonnyv, May 21, 2003.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have an rel q100e which is on spikes, i have sat the sub on top of a granite slab that i had made for my old paradigm pdr-10, i am thinking about getting another slab for on top of the sub and i have a question...

If i mount 4 small rubber feet on the granite slab will the weight of the slab be transfered to the 4 feet or over the whole area of the sub ?

thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It will be transferred to the four feet and not spread equally over the top surface of the sub.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    Indeed it will be transferred to the four feet, but this will in turn be spread over the sub to varying degrees, depending on the construction of the sub.

For example, if the top surface of the sub is only in contact with the sub's sides (nothing inside the sub), these sides will bear the whole weight of the slab, regardless of whether they are on feet or not.

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want maximum benefit in reducing cabinet resonance, remove the spikes at the bottom, and sandwich the sub with the maximum surface area of the slabs. You might want to put a couple of rubber mats in between slab and sub though, to stop the finish from getting wrecked.