1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Granite plinths - what an improvement!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Audionyx, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello all!

Thought I would share my acoustic findings using granite plinths.

Using Kef Q7 floorstanders and have been tweaking them constantly to try an improve the already impressive performance.

Yesterday, I obtained some granite plinths (Linn Ninka design I think) and carefully levelled them and placed my speakers on the new surface (previously they were spiked directly into the carpet).

Wow - tighter bass (virtually no boom) - fluid midrange - and a slightly improved upper frequency delivery.

Would seriously advise anyone who likes a good old tweak to try this!

Darren

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar set-up under my Ruark Prelude R's.

As my speakers are all on a middle floor (bare wood) of the house the bass gets a bit boomy if the speakers are direct onto the floorboards. The plinths overcome this problem AND look better at the same time :)

3. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can we buy these plinths please?:)

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Linn plinths are made of some sort of composite, not granite, and it is a denser material.

They make a huge difference over the standard MDF plinths that you get with the Ninkas. Do they look ok, the plinths are not square.

How mave you got them attached to your speakers? Did you add extra bolt holes for them?

I have a set for a pair of Linn Keltiks, they weigh a ton.

5. Trevk

Trevk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, I've placed my speaker stands on 2 paving slabs, which did tighten the bass and gave more emphasis to the mid-range. Would there be any inprovement with using granite instead?:)

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The composite Linn plinths are intended to be bolted directly to the base of the speaker in place of the standard MDF plinths.

This increases the mass of the speaker and helps to improve the bass reproduction.

7. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Retro

You are right - the material is some form of dense composite - but it could well be granite as they are quite heavy for their size!!

I have merely placed the speakers directly (still using spikes) onto these plinths.

Their geometry is of a slightly curved shape - wider at the front to the back and suits the Q7's well.

Was listening to a wide range of music last night and still can't believe the difference.

Regards

Darren

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Darren

If you can attach the plinths to the speakers, it will make a huge improvement.

9. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Have thought about that, however I tried by removing the spikes from the speakers and blue tacked the speakers to the plinths for an audition. Actually prefered the sound when they remained on the spikes! May just be a combination of CD23/Musical Fidelity 3.2 pre/power and dodgy room!!

Also I always have an eye to change system components so did not want to damage the speakers by drilling new holes to match the ones in the plinths.

Thanks anyway

Darren

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I put some granite slabs under my speakers but it didn't improve anything - probably because the whole floor is granite. :D

11. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any UKD dealarship will be able to get hold of the Opera one's, which come in at £80-£100. These are nice marble ones, which look great and have a similar effect on the sound to the one Darren is describing.

12. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I used slabs to achieve the same effect. Huge upgrade.

However, the 'allegedly' best supports/stand etc for this sort of thing comes from Mana Acoustics at

http://www.mana.co.uk/choose.htm

Many, many people report huge gains using their stuff. Me, stuck to my £5 slabs, great value.

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As Retro says,the Linn plinths are a composite( a granite based composite if i remember) and are intended to be bolted to the bottom of their speaker ranges...the Keltiks I used to have had an enormous set of things which needed a serious spanner to tighten/remove....for the best results they really do need to be bolted down very firmly,and the plinths should then be spiked to the floor,using the spikes Linn provide,or those available from e.g.Russ Andrews.

Also worth mentioning is RA's own Torlyte speaker plinths....apparently very well reviewed and with many independent recommendations,although I haven't actually used them myself. www.russandrews.com