Grangey's slightly different "Floating" Thread....

You made a really nice build there, well done.

I have a question about what you (and anyone else with a floating wall) has done about power points for the equipment. My 'wall' is going in an existing recess so I can't build the 'wall' too far out from the real wall as I need to leave enough room for a shelf at the bottom deep enough to hold the kit.

I need about 9 points in all (tv, kit, lights, and spare).

Just wondering what way to approach it so that the points are still accessible for plugging other things in (like my G25 wheel) which has an adapter plug on it while still hiding the cabling as much as possible.

In response to your storage of DVD's have you resolved it? I put some drawer fronts on my besta units and keep the dvs in them. Can't fit in an awful lot mind but keeps them out the way

Hey, sorry for the late responses guys!

DVD storage wise the cabinets work fine if your fine having your DVDs double (or triple in my case) stacked, I would have gone for draws however as I believe some of my posts above may have indicated, I have now gone down a digital backup option so all my dvds are in the loft and backed up on my PC ready for streaming directly to my xbox or ps3 :)

You made a really nice build there, well done.

I have a question about what you (and anyone else with a floating wall) has done about power points for the equipment. My 'wall' is going in an existing recess so I can't build the 'wall' too far out from the real wall as I need to leave enough room for a shelf at the bottom deep enough to hold the kit.

I need about 9 points in all (tv, kit, lights, and spare).

Just wondering what way to approach it so that the points are still accessible for plugging other things in (like my G25 wheel) which has an adapter plug on it while still hiding the cabling as much as possible.

Hey mate,

Luckily this wasnt a massive issue for me as to the left of the wall is a number of sockets so I was able to use them, and the speakers/ sub hide it.

If it wasnt there because I have got very old solid brick walls, I probably would have ended up converting some new skirting to hide electrical cables and mount sockets to that :)

just revisiting some of the comments of this thread...alz2605...ive got a different PJ now... and some films do fill the WHOLE screen! Its an amazing experience :rotfl: Il take a pic next time Ive got one on.

As for updates, minimal Im afraid other than the digital streaming all setup now just needing bigger HDD for my BluRays. Differnent projector now means all my equipment displays through the projector.

Otherwise joints have held up fine so far, no cracks or sinking at all so far! STILL havnt boxed in the screen, mainly because I have litterally been working 7 days a week for the past 3 months with the odd day off here and there saving for a new car which I get Sunday :), but Im also now trying to figure out the best way of casing the projector in from a mounting and attaching perspective.

Still stuck with this horrible carpet which is massively letting the look of the room down.

Kinda want a new place now though so I can do it all again! Now ive done it once, it will be a doddle 2nd time around!

We just bought new carpet for ours (6.6m x 4m) fitted for ÂŁ600.

really? that including underlay? that's not bad at all really. I will need approx 10m x 4.2m! The problem is really just a case of getting my parents to get their wallets out and invest in this house as they want to sell it (alot of the rooms need some tlc really) and thats a challenge in itself!

If anyone has any questions at all about making a floating wall or anything in this thread do feel free to get in touch as id be happy to help.

Reading through this thread which I started nearly a year ago :-O!!! I can see that i could have done a better step by step guide, but thats just one of those things.

I cant stress enough either than honestly this is such as simple project as long as you take the time to research, plan, measure, measure again, and measure even more. Once youre there its easy enough to put into place, I am not a handyman by anymeans and the result that came was great, and that was even with my being very ambitious with what I was trying to achieve. A wall like the legendary Groove's would take alot less time, cost less, and present even less opportunity to mess up. So if you are thinking about doing it... stop thinking... get planning!

Last edited:
We are just having quotes for our carpet. Need about 25 sq m for the cellar and stairs. The main room is about 4x4m. With decent wool carpet it's coming out at about ÂŁ570 all Inc (cloud 9 underlay and fitted). We thought that seemed expensive, but maybe not?

Well... this thread is over 222 days old now apparently!

Bout time I pulled my finger out then and brought the room a bit more up to date then isnt it!

attachment.php

bye bye horrendus wallpaper!

watch this space ;)

Attachments

• 74484_10150095091400225_506755224_7532967_6330921_n.jpg
    74484_10150095091400225_506755224_7532967_6330921_n.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2,256
Looking forward to seeing the new look :thumbsup:

Bit of an update but no pictures yet,

Walls are FINALLY ready for colour coat (only took like 3 weeks to get that far :-O)! Its got 3 coats of brillaint white which has given me a great base to paint from and it already makes the room look so much better.

My problem now is finding a creamy colour that matches the choculate suede floating wall, Ive gone through about 10 test pots so far and none of them have done it for me!! :( Any suggestions?!

Just finished reading this whole thread Grangey, i 'm reading every thread on floating walls at the moment :D Great job for someone with little D.I.Y experience :smashin: will keep visiting back to see your finished room.
I'm starting my own project soon, been taking all the measurements and finding places to source the materials from.
Reading everyone's posts on here has helped me no end :)

Good work :thumbsup:

Thanks wideangleman, i litterally changed my mind about the wall colour about 4 times and even painted the room twice in colours an changed my mind each time!

Anyway, funny you asked how i was getting on when you did, as I was just finishing putting the room back together as you posted it and i got the email notification so took some pictures there and then for you.

I need to take some proper pictures as the light in the first two pics make make the walls look quite yellow even though theyre not, but this should give you an idea of how the rooms comming together :) (note, i still need to put the panel in behind the amp so you cant see the rope light hanging down lol)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

New carpet should be here in the new year so thats when i think il bust out the DLSR camera and take some proper pictures, as this carpet currently is truly disgusting.:suicide:

The paint finnally gives the room a much more up to date look, and ive no doubt with some new flooring the room will be looking to a great standard, only took me four painfull weeks to get here but now im here im chuffed :)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,001
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 3,092
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 3,129
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 3,451
Last edited:
Excellent stuff :smashin: looking good now.

I remember doing some DIY job round a house I lived in years ago and the carpet was a bit of a mess, so I thought I'll do all the DIY and painting etc and then get rid of the carpet, It was a total disgusting mess by the time I had finished, full of sawdust and covered in paint. Makes you appreciate a new one tho :D

Grangey; I have just stumbled across this thread and think it is awesome.

You have done a brilliant job and I can imagine you feel very satisfied.

I'm thinking on how to break the news to the boss that I want to build a "floating" wall! (I don't think she is going to be impressed!)

Just read through the whole thread, stunning work mate :thumbsup:

Wish I had brick to drill into, all I have is a plasterboard with egg box style between...so not yet sure how I could achieve the floating wall securely yet...

Thanks for the comments guys, well over a year on and im still being complimented on my work :)

Still waiting to sort out some carpet, but once thats finally in there i really cant wait to see how different the room will look :)

Brilliant thread! Loving the units and the screen integration :)

Any more pictures looking likely to follow? Would really like to see some from the DSLR...

Thanks Christov,

Yeah ive now doubt Il get more pictures up in the near future, my heads still spinning for more plans of what I can do in there and until the carpet get changes the room wont make very good pics on the DSLR. But lots still to plan and figure out on the room so rest assured youl see more changes soon Im sure :)

Looks like I'll be moving soon- which means I have to figure out what Im going to do with this floating wall :(

As the next place I move to will be rental I cant do it again, so im wondering if there is some way I could get the floating wall mounted to the back of my AV cabinets and supported that way.... even if it meant giving it L shaped feet or something.

Chances are it wont happen so if anyone wants a premade floating wall let me know! Youd have to have a big ass van to come collect it though!

Looks like I'll be moving soon- which means I have to figure out what Im going to do with this floating wall :(

As the next place I move to will be rental I cant do it again, so im wondering if there is some way I could get the floating wall mounted to the back of my AV cabinets and supported that way.... even if it meant giving it L shaped feet or something.

Chances are it wont happen so if anyone wants a premade floating wall let me know! Youd have to have a big ass van to come collect it though!

Another job?

I once built a free standing floating wall in a rented gaff.

Check it out: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/747403-alz-floating-wall-really-does-float.html

Well this thread will now be the creation and death of a floating wall, confirmed today I'll be moving out in 3 weeks so il take pics of the poor thing being turned to scrap :(

on an up note the next rental owner isnt too fussed about what I do as long as I put it right, but as its a brand new house I wont be doing the floating wall again, will just mount the PJ screen & PJ to the cieling/ wall.

However if I can devise a way of creating a floating wall that attaches to my cabinets not my wall... and strong enough to mount my TV to it, there may be a project 2 on the go. That wont be for some time though.

Bye bye floating wall... its been emotional :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom