Grangey's "Road to "Ripped"" thread

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Hey all,

So, I decided I would start abit of a thread on here to keep track of my experiences during my attempt to get "ripped" and what I learn along the way.

To give you some background, I'm approx 6'2 and started at the gym properly around November last year weighing in the region of 16-16.5 stone (unfortunately I didnt weigh myself at the time but this is the heaviest I have seen myself and it was certainly around this time), I was a smoker of 8 years at the time and I have always been the tubbier type of person at school. I ate sooo much crap, multiple packs of crisps each day, plenty of buscuits, cakes, pizzas, processed foods galore, etc etc...

Fast forward to now- over the past 10 months I have spent days researching and learning about diets, "best practice", changing my lifestyle, and taking in all of the various advise scattered across the internet from various body builders and nutritionists- whilst I still don't know it all, I'd like to think I know a pretty respectable amount now and I've been able to put some into practice. As a result as of today I can tell you I weigh 13 stone exactly (at my lightest I have been 12.8 stone) and I had my bodyfat measured today for the first time to give me a pleasing 12.9%!..which is alot lower that i expected it to be, which has whats put the "ripped" idea now so closely in sight (given abs can be properly visible from 10% on some people).

To summarise for the skimmers- stats as of 29/08/2012:

Hight: 6'2
Weight: 13 stone / 82.5kg / 182lb
Body fat: 12.9%

So what are my goals?

Well this is hard to actually say as I'm actually very much in two minds about where I want to go with this, and actually this will start to show in my results I'm sure, but ultimately I want to get "ripped" (very lean- low body fat % with sculptured muscles)- what I cant decide is whether I want to do this on my current build or "bulk up" abit first. Typically people will bulk then cut fat, but actually Im so proud of the weight ive lost and fat ive clearly dropped in the time ive been working out, a big part of me is telling me to take this time to see how far I can take it without bulking- ie cut down to circa 8% or where I have a fully visible set of abs. I think the main reason for not having a clear goal is the surprise of how my body has changed already, always previously being a 36-38inch waist I always assumed myself to be of "bigger" build and therfore set my initial wishes on bodys like Mike Chang (sixpackshortcuts), however given I now fit comfortably in a 32" waist and actually think at leanest I would probably be around 30", the idea of being a build more of that of Ryan Reynolds in Blade Trinity/ Safe House is actually pretty appealing at the moment.

One thing however is for sure, I expect some good changes by December (as I will have to adapt my workout somewhat in Januray to train for ToughMudder which I will be taking part in in 2013).

One thing is for sure though, at this moment in time I've hit a plateau so its time I change things up a notch to push things forward, current stats on the main exercises I do often enough to remember:

Bench press I'm pressing on a good day 70kg for 9-10 reps (3 sets- reps drop down to about 6 on 3rd set)
Incline press: 35kg (an area im now focusing on)- 10 reps
Dumbbell fly: 15kg each arm 10 reps
EZ Curl Biceps curl- 30kg + EZ curl bar weight for 10 reps- 3 sets
Triceps pressdown: 30.6kg 8 reps

Oh and on a side note (as an ex smoker and also someone who suffers from asthma and previous lung issues): Best 5k time 24.50 mins (I previously couldnt jog for more than 3 minutes without feeling like I was going to pass out!)

One area I really havnt spent enough time is on the legs, and particularly on other compound movements (Squat, Deadlift, Shoulder Press) and I know this is something I really need to focus on now moving forward- particularly as not only as will this help my up my strength but also as legs release the highest amount of testosterone and growth hormones.

So anyway, the reason I thought I'd post this thread is I will be really upping myself now over the next 3 months and hope to be able to share my results with you and anything new I pickup and learn along the way.

The one thing I will say and the one thing you may find interesting, is I've not been working out/dieting as a "strict" thing- ie such as the 12 weeks programs on bodybuilding.com, I have been changing my lifestyle.. but none the less I fully believe in only living once, so I do still have the odd bit of junk food here and there, I certainly still drink alcohol (although this has been proven not to have a negative effect when muscle building). Example (although this is an extreme month for me in fairness)- in september Im out with the lads on Friday (hellooo booze), out for a friends birthday the following friday for a chinese buffet, out again saturday for another birthday that saturday (hellooo booze), and then have a family celebration the following weekend (drink anyone?)- like I say this is extreme for me (on the booze front) but I just want to get accross that my diet isnt mentally tied back and Im not T-total or anything, I fully believe and support "cheat" days and do think that naughtyness is a good thing every so often!

I will be deciding on a new workout regime over the next week, and other things I intend to start to incorporate soon is Intermittent Fasting (IF)- but I need to better understand my own diet and macro intake before I can do so. On the diet side of things my daily meals look like the following:

Breakfast: Protein Shake, 2 eggs (could be friend, scrambled, or put into an omelette) circa 8-830am
Mid morning snack- when I remember- an apple or some peanuts- circa 1030
Lunch- Brown rice (approx 130g), extra lean mince (around 125g), and chilli con carne mix (will need to change this as I have just noticed one of the key ingredients is sugar- not so good for loosing fat)- circa 12:30
Afternoon snack: Protein Shake circa 3pm
Dinner: 1 grilled (foreman) chicken breast, plate of mixed veg- circa 530pm
Before bed: Protein shake, scoop of pure peanut butter- circa 930-10pm

This is literally what I eat every single week day without fail, on weekends I may change it very slightly but all depends on what Im doing.

On workout days I also add a protein shake and apple pre workout and post workout.

Supplements I'm taking:
Multivitamin (tesco cheap stuff- not sure if i should change)
Fish Oil (again only tesco 1 capsule stuff)
MyProtien impact whey
MyProtien Cretene Monohydrate (although have not been using this properly at all in any kind of continual matter)
MyProtien "Pulse" (Preworkout enhancer) again, not consistently but on days I feel I could do with a boost

So that's me as it stands at the moment, and here a few pictures.

I look forward to updating you all on the new workout I decide to adopt and how I change my diet- and most importantly, their results!

Heres a few pictures of how I now currently look (sorry, still not confident quite enough yet to have my face all over the web!), and for those interested I'm "Grangey" on bodyspace.

Thanks
Grangey

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Actually, given the amount of knowledge I felt I have picked up over the past 10 months, from comming from a complete novice who had never touched weights or conditioned my body, to where I'm at now, I think I'll use this post as a directory for others to look at the resources and usefull articles I've found over time so you too can build knowledge.

Useful Videos

Dietary/Nutritional Information you should know

Bodybuilding Information

Loosing Fat

Workout programs I rate

I'll update this when I have some more time and not when its midnight!

Dan Baker

Would have been nice if you'd at least acknowledged/responded to my thread before copying it.

Regardless best of luck with your goals looks like you've made some excellent progress already.

I'd recommend ditching the fish oil and getting some dedicated Omega 3 as you are getting so little in your diet. You may wish to try and vary your diet a bit also so you are getting protein from as many different sources as possible.

I'd also try to force yourself to do squats every time you go to the gym!

CoolBreeze9

Would have been nice if you'd at least acknowledged/responded to my thread before copying it.

Seriously?

Uhm, anyways... Good work so far Grangey.

You mentioned 'plateau'ing'. What workout program have you been using up till now? How many days, what kind of split?

Regardless, squats are absolutely necessary for muscle building and calorie burning. Don't know about doing them everytime you hit the gym, but that depends on the above question.

Bench press and Incline press. You say 70 and 35. Thats odd. How do you do the both of these? Barbells or Dumbells etc? Because your incline press shouldn't be that much less. i.e. I do 38's (dumbells in each hand) for flat and around 32 on incline.

About the creatine, it needs to be consistently used for a period of time for it to have proper effect.

And finally, I've been using IF religiously for a long time and I'm a big supporter of it. It has been very effective for me for fat loss, but also muscle and strength gains. I used leangains.com as an information resource if you want to have a look. And if you want to ask anything in particular, I'd be happy to help you out since I remember finding it quite difficult filtering out all the pertinent information online.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Dan Baker

CoolBreeze9 said:
Seriously?

Yup, maybe it's just my twisted view on courtesy, but let's not derail the thread and leave it at that.

Good shout on the squats reading back I was unclear. A lot of people avoid doing squats because they don't like the feeling during the exercise and more so the day after. If you get into the habit of doing them as your warm up every time you hit the gym for a few weeks you learn to love doing them and it become less challenging to incorporate them into your regular routine. Would suggest squatting at least twice a week though.

CoolBreeze9

Good shout on the squats reading back I was unclear. A lot of people avoid doing squats because they don't like the feeling during the exercise and more so the day after. If you get into the habit of doing them as your warm up every time you hit the gym for a few weeks you learn to love doing them and it become less challenging to incorporate them into your regular routine. Would suggest squatting at least twice a week though.

You know, that whole thing about not liking the feeling while doing the squat has to be the number 1 reason why people dont do it.

And I think I have a theory as to why people don't like the feeling. I think it has to do with what people perceive to be the correct stance while doing them and what they are maybe taught, even by those who should know better like PT's etc.

People have different hips and knees which means stance varies person to person. I stand with feet shoulder width apart and toes pointing slightly outwards. I've seen guys standing toes forward and some with wider stances.

Theres a PT at my gym who I talk to regularly. And generally I've found him to be very good, and he is in outstanding shape himself. He let himself down a bit when he told me I had to point my toes forward. I just couldn't go down deep when doing that.

The idea is to do bodyweight squats with varying stances and see which way you can go down low with comfortably.

stoomc

Grangey. said:
Hey all,

So, I decided I would start abit of a thread on here to keep track of my experiences during my attempt to get "ripped" and what I learn along the way.

To give you some background, I'm approx 6'2 and started at the gym properly around November last year weighing in the region of 16-16.5 stone (unfortunately I didnt weigh myself at the time but this is the heaviest I have seen myself and it was certainly around this time), I was a smoker of 8 years at the time and I have always been the tubbier type of person at school. I ate sooo much crap, multiple packs of crisps each day, plenty of buscuits, cakes, pizzas, processed foods galore, etc etc...

Fast forward to now- over the past 10 months I have spent days researching and learning about diets, "best practice", changing my lifestyle, and taking in all of the various advise scattered across the internet from various body builders and nutritionists- whilst I still don't know it all, I'd like to think I know a pretty respectable amount now and I've been able to put some into practice. As a result as of today I can tell you I weigh 13 stone exactly (at my lightest I have been 12.8 stone) and I had my bodyfat measured today for the first time to give me a pleasing 12.9%!..which is alot lower that i expected it to be, which has whats put the "ripped" idea now so closely in sight (given abs can be properly visible from 10% on some people).

To summarise for the skimmers- stats as of 29/08/2012:

Hight: 6'2
Weight: 13 stone / 82.5kg / 182lb
Body fat: 12.9%

So what are my goals?

Well this is hard to actually say as I'm actually very much in two minds about where I want to go with this, and actually this will start to show in my results I'm sure, but ultimately I want to get "ripped" (very lean- low body fat % with sculptured muscles)- what I cant decide is whether I want to do this on my current build or "bulk up" abit first. Typically people will bulk then cut fat, but actually Im so proud of the weight ive lost and fat ive clearly dropped in the time ive been working out, a big part of me is telling me to take this time to see how far I can take it without bulking- ie cut down to circa 8% or where I have a fully visible set of abs. I think the main reason for not having a clear goal is the surprise of how my body has changed already, always previously being a 36-38inch waist I always assumed myself to be of "bigger" build and therfore set my initial wishes on bodys like Mike Chang (sixpackshortcuts), however given I now fit comfortably in a 32" waist and actually think at leanest I would probably be around 30", the idea of being a build more of that of Ryan Reynolds in Blade Trinity/ Safe House is actually pretty appealing at the moment.

One thing however is for sure, I expect some good changes by December (as I will have to adapt my workout somewhat in Januray to train for ToughMudder which I will be taking part in in 2013).

One thing is for sure though, at this moment in time I've hit a plateau so its time I change things up a notch to push things forward, current stats on the main exercises I do often enough to remember:

Bench press I'm pressing on a good day 70kg for 9-10 reps (3 sets- reps drop down to about 6 on 3rd set)
Incline press: 35kg (an area im now focusing on)- 10 reps
Dumbbell fly: 15kg each arm 10 reps
EZ Curl Biceps curl- 30kg + EZ curl bar weight for 10 reps- 3 sets
Triceps pressdown: 30.6kg 8 reps

Oh and on a side note (as an ex smoker and also someone who suffers from asthma and previous lung issues): Best 5k time 24.50 mins (I previously couldnt jog for more than 3 minutes without feeling like I was going to pass out!)

One area I really havnt spent enough time is on the legs, and particularly on other compound movements (Squat, Deadlift, Shoulder Press) and I know this is something I really need to focus on now moving forward- particularly as not only as will this help my up my strength but also as legs release the highest amount of testosterone and growth hormones.

So anyway, the reason I thought I'd post this thread is I will be really upping myself now over the next 3 months and hope to be able to share my results with you and anything new I pickup and learn along the way.

The one thing I will say and the one thing you may find interesting, is I've not been working out/dieting as a "strict" thing- ie such as the 12 weeks programs on bodybuilding.com, I have been changing my lifestyle.. but none the less I fully believe in only living once, so I do still have the odd bit of junk food here and there, I certainly still drink alcohol (although this has been proven not to have a negative effect when muscle building). Example (although this is an extreme month for me in fairness)- in september Im out with the lads on Friday (hellooo booze), out for a friends birthday the following friday for a chinese buffet, out again saturday for another birthday that saturday (hellooo booze), and then have a family celebration the following weekend (drink anyone?)- like I say this is extreme for me (on the booze front) but I just want to get accross that my diet isnt mentally tied back and Im not T-total or anything, I fully believe and support "cheat" days and do think that naughtyness is a good thing every so often!

I will be deciding on a new workout regime over the next week, and other things I intend to start to incorporate soon is Intermittent Fasting (IF)- but I need to better understand my own diet and macro intake before I can do so. On the diet side of things my daily meals look like the following:

Breakfast: Protein Shake, 2 eggs (could be friend, scrambled, or put into an omelette) circa 8-830am
Mid morning snack- when I remember- an apple or some peanuts- circa 1030
Lunch- Brown rice (approx 130g), extra lean mince (around 125g), and chilli con carne mix (will need to change this as I have just noticed one of the key ingredients is sugar- not so good for loosing fat)- circa 12:30
Afternoon snack: Protein Shake circa 3pm
Dinner: 1 grilled (foreman) chicken breast, plate of mixed veg- circa 530pm
Before bed: Protein shake, scoop of pure peanut butter- circa 930-10pm

This is literally what I eat every single week day without fail, on weekends I may change it very slightly but all depends on what Im doing.

On workout days I also add a protein shake and apple pre workout and post workout.

Supplements I'm taking:
Multivitamin (tesco cheap stuff- not sure if i should change)
Fish Oil (again only tesco 1 capsule stuff)
MyProtien impact whey
MyProtien Cretene Monohydrate (although have not been using this properly at all in any kind of continual matter)
MyProtien "Pulse" (Preworkout enhancer) again, not consistently but on days I feel I could do with a boost

So that's me as it stands at the moment, and here a few pictures.

I look forward to updating you all on the new workout I decide to adopt and how I change my diet- and most importantly, their results!

Heres a few pictures of how I now currently look (sorry, still not confident quite enough yet to have my face all over the web!), and for those interested I'm "Grangey" on bodyspace.

Thanks
Grangey

Wow, looking really good mate for starting at 16+ stone- I would be happy with what you have already, but ofcourse improving is always a good thing. Well done!

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
You mentioned 'plateau'ing'. What workout program have you been using up till now? How many days, what kind of split?

I have tried all sorts- which I think is why Im possibly plateauing now as at the moment I feel im probably more maintaining than switching it up- and my surprising bodyfat % has kicked my ass into gear! Ive tried the first four to 5 weeks of Mike Changes "Six Pack Shortcuts" program, and also the first phase (4 weeks) of Jim Stoppani's Short cut to Size program (most recently- about 2 months ago), as well as just sort of doing my own thing depending on whether I had someone that could spot me on days etc etc.

My workouts have consistantly included the following excersizes (as the ones I feel most confident with I guess)- bench press (barbell), preacher curl, tricep pushdown, skullcrushers, dumbell flys, bent over row (and variations of) and front pull down- these I will do consistently every week without fail, then the other exercises vary depending on what's availible really and what I feel I havnt done in a while- so I could do anything from hammer curls, incline bench (barbell)/ incline press (dumbell), shrugs, leg press and other leg related stuff etc etc.

^the above has probably been the case for the past month or so which is why I know now its time to step my game up and stop skipping leg days and overlooking compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and military presses. I'd say the reason I've been skipping squats/deadlifts is for 2 reasons- 1) Although Im relatively happy with my form- I still dont feel confident enough to put some REAL weight onto it (which I really need to in order to help bust through my other plateaus and build overall strength), and 2) because I guess ive continually not spent enough time on my legs, the days I do workout on my legs, I have a good 3 days worth of DOMS- and not light either, I really its painful getting up and down from chairs, walking up and down stairs, etc etc. Again I know this will go with time but I guess whenever I've gone with the intent of doing squats etc, the idea of feeling near enough paralysed for the next 3 days I think makes me pussy out tbh!

I do change up my split depending on what I've got going on in the week, but I generally aim to work out 5 days in a 7 day period, 4 days absolute minimum and those workouts last an hour or so (one of the reasons I stopped the shortcut to size program was because each day took over 1.5hrs per workout and I found it dominating my life too much- maybe my expectations need to be managed though?) For example this week ive worked out tuesday, wed, and tonight, il have tomorrow off, workout Saturday and Sunday, night off Monday, then next week probably work out Tuesday wednesday and have Thursday off. I think I do need to really setup a proper week split and stick to it now though to get into single body fat % figures

Bench press and Incline press. You say 70 and 35. Thats odd. How do you do the both of these? Barbells or Dumbells etc? Because your incline press shouldn't be that much less. i.e. I do 38's (dumbells in each hand) for flat and around 32 on incline.

THANK YOU for confirming this was odd- I thought it was too but wasnt sure!
Bench is always with barbell- well over the past 4-5 months anyway, and generally the incline (the figure I quoted was anyway) has been with barbell too, but certainly 6 months ago I was doing more incline work with dumbells and Im sure I was doing more with dumbells. I dont think our bench press setup is the best to be honest, the seat has very limited angle settings, and I actually think I may have been setting at too high an angle which is why I may have been struggling with it. But certainly when ive moved from doing a flat bench press with barbell to an incline, I cannot seem to touch a similar weight. I'll take a pic/video next week of me doing the incline and Id appreciate your feedback if the angle is simply too high.

About the creatine, it needs to be consistently used for a period of time for it to have proper effect.

This I realise- but I tell you what made me not ever properly follow it consistantly- my preworkout enhancer contains "creapump" and does state that it is not recommended to be on a creatine course at the same time- but as I dont take this consistantly (although I have been more recently) ive kind of done abit of both. This kind of summerises me over the past 6 months really, Ive dabbled with things but not fully focused, I've no doubt I could have got much further if I had REALLY paid attention to what I was doing.

And finally, I've been using IF religiously for a long time and I'm a big supporter of it. It has been very effective for me for fat loss, but also muscle and strength gains. I used leangains.com as an information resource if you want to have a look. And if you want to ask anything in particular, I'd be happy to help you out since I remember finding it quite difficult filtering out all the pertinent information online.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks pal, yeah I've been looking at the leangains IF and I also need to look at the worrior diet but it does sound like leangains is the way to go. At the moment I just need to more accuratly understand what macros I'm currently consuming to figure out how Im going to make it work when I start- the one thing that still bugs me though, is every program on bodybuilding.com says that after your 8hours sleep your body is naturally in a fasted state but says to get protien/food in it asap else it will be "eating your muscles"- now ive read enough to comfort me that this isnt the case, but at the same time I dont understand how there can be SUCH conflicting information on this kind of thing out there!

On a slightly related note, I did some approximate calculations on the macros on the current 3 meals I eat... JUST my 3 meals = 1303.2 calories, of which approx 96g is protein, 173.5 carbs, 15.1g fat, and approx 22g is sugars... now OK I do have apples and the odd snack throughout the day (so generally Il have about 3 protien shakes ontop of this (approx another 60g of protien), and will be having more fats from things like peanuts and peanut butter- but either way it wasnt quite what I was expecting and I think I need to make some adjustments (particularly as im not meeting a minimum of 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight which i believe is best practice as a minimum for some form of muscle growth). Im doing to try to more accuratly map my true intake tomorrow as it will be interested to work out exactly whether I am intaking more or less than 9cal per lb of bodyweight (the minimum ive been lead to believe is needed to be loosing weight from diet)- it would certainly explain how ive been able to burn off the 3+stone over the past year, but as I havnt adjusted my intake based on my current weight, it wouldnt surprise me if I'm plateauing here too and actually more at a maintenance level rather than a calorie deficient level.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Yup, maybe it's just my twisted view on courtesy, but let's not derail the thread and leave it at that.

Dan I can hand on hart tell you I have not read your thread yet. I will point out you are far from the first person to create a thread on their gym progress and goals (ive been doing (ie working out) this since members on here like "kav" were using the blog features on here to track their progress and before this dedicated health and fitness section existed, so the idea has always been implanted in me), not to mention there are plenty of threads across other forums I read regularly doing the same thing you and I are doing. So please dont feel as if I have neglected you in any way or "ripped off" your idea. All I've seen is your title- and what I gathered from that is that you are further away from 10% body fat than I am, and therefore will have to focus slightly differently to me- I could well be wrong, I am looking forward to reading your thread and commenting trust me- but with my surprise of finding out my bodyfat is now sub 13% after never having it measured before, it stuck home that it is perfectly achievable for me to reach easily sub 10% bodyfat (im thinking of aiming for 8) in as little as 8 weeks- THIS is what drove me to start the thread, and if you are at a higher bodyfat % than I, then I hope my experiences in this time will help you when you reach similar bodyfat that Im currently at- and if you are at the same or better than I currently am, then Im looking forward to picking up tips from you! :) - lets leave that at that :thumbsup:

If you get into the habit of doing them as your warm up every time you hit the gym for a few weeks you learn to love doing them and it become less challenging to incorporate them into your regular routine. Would suggest squatting at least twice a week though.

Completely agree with you thanks and thats kinda along the route Im thinking. I think the past 2 or so months I've just been in a sort of "compliant" state, not really trying to keep pushing the barrier as I kept loosing weight so was happy enough- but moving forward as I'm aware its going to be tough to shift the remaining bodyfat I need to, so I was thinking of squatting twice per week and deadlifting at least once per week, aswell as keeping the other compound movements such as bench press and shoulder press as key components in my workout. I guess this sort of follows the 5x5 plan but il want to incorperate more than just compound movements too (and arent confident to be pushing out 5 rep failures on squats and DL's yet!)

Wow, looking really good mate for starting at 16+ stone- I would be happy with what you have already, but ofcourse improving is always a good thing. Well done!

Thanks pal, in hindsight Im so gutted I didnt take any starter pics or true stats when I started at it, I really never expected to be where Im at now at all- if someone told me that i have a built that could fit in sub 32" waist jeans a year ago I would have laughed in their face! Not to mention been able to run 5k and have a sub 13% bodyfat reading, its come as such a surprise in many ways, but thats why Im contious that I really need to start monitoring and making myself accountable for it now as if I dont step up my game, I wont get the results that I now know are so achievable for me!

Last edited:

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Cardio

What are your guys thoughts on Cario?

When I first started I would do around 15 minutes of cardio before hitting the weights, im not talking about a brisk walk either, im talking jogging/running/hiit. I felt this may have been a large part of the reason for my fat loss (I got to the stage of running 5k about 3-4 times- although I was too nakered to follow with wieghts!). I really want to have overall fitness aswell as having a natural bodybuilt type look- is it possible to have running as part of what Im trying to achieve?

All ive done in recent months is read about how cardio should be kept separately to when you do weights- by at least 2-3 hours, so as a result I havnt been doing any really but I would like to keep this up as again being able to beat times over distances etc really helps keep me motivated and show im progressing...

Thoughts?

Should I maybe attempt 5ks on one of my rest days (or would this defy the point of a rest day?)? Should I just take up slow paced cardio to focus on fat burn and forget the idea of overall cardio fitness? Should I forget this common rule and pick back up to doing 10-15 mins of cardio before weights (or maybe after?)?

EDIT: unrelated, but a picture I have just found quite motivational :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 377350_157436067713539_970047980_n.jpg
    377350_157436067713539_970047980_n.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

Dan Baker

No sweat dude, please don't get me wrong I don't believe for one second I'm the first person to keep a blog of progress. It's just when you read through both threads it does look like the posts were made by the same person they are that similar so I assumed you used mine as a framework so figured a hat tip in my direction wouldn't have gone a miss. But sounds like its just a coincidence and I've jumped the gun. Like you said forget about it and hopefully we can pick things up from one another.

You are right you are kicking my ass on the BF front so look forward to trying to catch you up :)

Re cardio, for me this is my weakness I hate doing cardio but I'm trying get it in. I've started cycling too and from the gym and also warm up with a skipping rope. I really enjoy the rope cause you can learn lots of variants to keep it interesting. Doing supersets at the moment which in my opinion negates the need to do anymore cardio as you get a sweat on anyway.

As I'm sure you have I read people say do cardio before weights, after weights, in between weights and off days so not sure there is answer. For me the key is making sure its something you enjoy, if it takes me x minutes to row 2000 mtrs then when I go next time I always try and shave time off to keep it interesting. I also find hitting the classes helps keep motivation levels high body pump and spinning can be killers!

silent ninja

Just a note, your weight is low (13 stone at your height is light) and with resistance training you will see it go up. In fact, time to stop looking at the scales. Bodyfat is one thing, weight is entirely different. Squats work BIG muscles so don't be surprised when you start putting on the pounds.

Also, having low body fat (usually by means of a calorie deficit) means your muscle gains will be very slow. You will really need to count those calories if you want to remain at low body fat AND put on lean muscle mass. It's not easy. As you know, a low body weight/fat alone won't make you look aesthetic.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
silent ninja said:
Also, having low body fat (usually by means of a calorie deficit) means your muscle gains will be very slow. You will really need to count those calories if you want to remain at low body fat AND put on lean muscle mass. It's not easy. As you know, a low body weight/fat alone won't make you look aesthetic.

Thanks. Tbh this is the biggest thing im still trying to figure out. It certainly seems obvious to me now that the reason I Havnt seen the muscle/strength growth I would have expected is due to having a calorie deficit diet- but as this has clearly helped cut my body fat down I'm trying to figure out what I can change/add to my diet which will continue to encourage my body to burn fat :-/

silent ninja

Thanks. Tbh this is the biggest thing im still trying to figure out. It certainly seems obvious to me now that the reason I Havnt seen the muscle/strength growth I would have expected is due to having a calorie deficit diet- but as this has clearly helped cut my body fat down I'm trying to figure out what I can change/add to my diet which will continue to encourage my body to burn fat :-/

It's a balancing act, but essentially you NEED to be on a calorie surplus (not a massive one necessarily) so that your body can add muscle mass with those extra calories. You need to eat good quality protein whilst doing this.

Don't eat a massive surplus or you'll just end up getting fat, although it's a lot easier to 'dirty bulk' and gain muscle mass (as well as lots of fat) if you dont mind cutting again. Personally, I have the same opinion as you. I'd rather be at least a little lean -- 12% fat or lower -- than shoot up to 20% and feel like crap.

wookielover

just looking at you photos i think you should bulk first then cut . just my opinion tho . bulking is more fun !!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom