Grandview Tab Tensioned?

anavfan

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to update my projector screen - the one I've had for probably nearly 20 years is a Beamax screen and amazingly the motor still works fine but I realise I can accommodate a larger screen as it was originally installed in a smaller room.

So I was looking at the Grandview Cyber Series and thought it would be a no-brainer to pay the extra for the tab tensioned one. However, I saw some posting from 2013 suggesting that the screen quality could be better on the non tab tensioned screen which has sowed a doubt in my mind.

Does anyone have a view on this, or have either screen that they could recommend or advise against?

unless a very massive screen, tab tensioned is just not needed on the Grandview in my opinion :)

I have a Grandview 120" 2.35:1 tab tension screen in a 1.0 gain, got it really cheap, very very nice screen.

To follow up on this, I'm not disputing your opinion at all but what's your reasoning behind this statement?
I have seen i dont know how many non tab tensioned granviews in folks homes... they are popular here and they do just fine non tab tensioned :) the material is quite stiff and stays flat and straight so there is no real need for tab tensioning...which adds both cost and complexity

perhaps go have a look at one around size considering if unsure :)

I have seen i dont know how many non tab tensioned granviews in folks homes... they are popular here and they do just fine non tab tensioned :) the material is quite stiff and stays flat and straight so there is no real need for tab tensioning...which adds both cost and complexity

perhaps go have a look at one around size considering if unsure :)

Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll save the money then and put it towards saving for a NZ7/NZ8. :laugh: 😢 :smashin:

Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll save the money then and put it towards saving for a NZ7/NZ8. :laugh: 😢 :smashin:
if spending SO much on a projector ... you probably could do better than grand view :D

they are a solid choice and good if on a budget... but there is definitely better to be had.

screens are SO important :) id at the very least consider some of the other options availabe :)

Interesting. Grandview was the make recommended by the guy who did my calibration. Stewart screens look too pricey, so what other makes do you recommend I look at then?

Interesting. Grandview was the make recommended by the guy who did my calibration. Stewart screens look too pricey, so what other makes do you recommend I look at then?
when spending up so much on a projector ... a Stewart screen is probably small fry :D

no just kidding... look Stewart probably beyond my means as well... and so would be a NZ8 :D

we have a couple of options that sit somewhere between grand view and say stewart... but likely not an option to you where you are...

I'd explore local options :)

I've had the Grandview 106inch normal screen for years and still perfect. So you definitely don't need tab tension screen.

Hello,
just want to open this thread again.
I have just bought this screen and installed it on the ceiling and everything looks fine.
I now want to adjust the fall so that it stops at a certain point.
There are two hexagonal sockets, one nearer the front of the screen and the other nearer the back and these are adjusted with Allen key tool.
Has anyone any idea which one to adjust and how to go about it?
The manual is no help at all.
Thanks…Alan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom