Grandview Tab Tensioned?

anavfan

I'm looking to update my projector screen - the one I've had for probably nearly 20 years is a Beamax screen and amazingly the motor still works fine but I realise I can accommodate a larger screen as it was originally installed in a smaller room.

So I was looking at the Grandview Cyber Series and thought it would be a no-brainer to pay the extra for the tab tensioned one. However, I saw some posting from 2013 suggesting that the screen quality could be better on the non tab tensioned screen which has sowed a doubt in my mind.

Does anyone have a view on this, or have either screen that they could recommend or advise against?

alebonau

unless a very massive screen, tab tensioned is just not needed on the Grandview in my opinion :)

Stridsvognen

I have a Grandview 120" 2.35:1 tab tension screen in a 1.0 gain, got it really cheap, very very nice screen.

alebonau

To follow up on this, I'm not disputing your opinion at all but what's your reasoning behind this statement?
I have seen i dont know how many non tab tensioned granviews in folks homes... they are popular here and they do just fine non tab tensioned :) the material is quite stiff and stays flat and straight so there is no real need for tab tensioning...which adds both cost and complexity

perhaps go have a look at one around size considering if unsure :)

anavfan

I have seen i dont know how many non tab tensioned granviews in folks homes... they are popular here and they do just fine non tab tensioned :) the material is quite stiff and stays flat and straight so there is no real need for tab tensioning...which adds both cost and complexity

perhaps go have a look at one around size considering if unsure :)

Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll save the money then and put it towards saving for a NZ7/NZ8. :laugh: 😢 :smashin:

alebonau

Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll save the money then and put it towards saving for a NZ7/NZ8. :laugh: 😢 :smashin:
if spending SO much on a projector ... you probably could do better than grand view :D

they are a solid choice and good if on a budget... but there is definitely better to be had.

screens are SO important :) id at the very least consider some of the other options availabe :)

anavfan

Interesting. Grandview was the make recommended by the guy who did my calibration. Stewart screens look too pricey, so what other makes do you recommend I look at then?

alebonau

Interesting. Grandview was the make recommended by the guy who did my calibration. Stewart screens look too pricey, so what other makes do you recommend I look at then?
when spending up so much on a projector ... a Stewart screen is probably small fry :D

no just kidding... look Stewart probably beyond my means as well... and so would be a NZ8 :D

we have a couple of options that sit somewhere between grand view and say stewart... but likely not an option to you where you are...

I'd explore local options :)

I've had the Grandview 106inch normal screen for years and still perfect. So you definitely don't need tab tension screen.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom