Grandview Tab Tensioned?

anavfan

I'm looking to update my projector screen - the one I've had for probably nearly 20 years is a Beamax screen and amazingly the motor still works fine but I realise I can accommodate a larger screen as it was originally installed in a smaller room.

So I was looking at the Grandview Cyber Series and thought it would be a no-brainer to pay the extra for the tab tensioned one. However, I saw some posting from 2013 suggesting that the screen quality could be better on the non tab tensioned screen which has sowed a doubt in my mind.

Does anyone have a view on this, or have either screen that they could recommend or advise against?

alebonau

Distinguished Member
unless a very massive screen, tab tensioned is just not needed on the Grandview in my opinion :)

Stridsvognen

I have a Grandview 120" 2.35:1 tab tension screen in a 1.0 gain, got it really cheap, very very nice screen.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
To follow up on this, I'm not disputing your opinion at all but what's your reasoning behind this statement?
I have seen i dont know how many non tab tensioned granviews in folks homes... they are popular here and they do just fine non tab tensioned :) the material is quite stiff and stays flat and straight so there is no real need for tab tensioning...which adds both cost and complexity

perhaps go have a look at one around size considering if unsure :)

anavfan

I have seen i dont know how many non tab tensioned granviews in folks homes... they are popular here and they do just fine non tab tensioned :) the material is quite stiff and stays flat and straight so there is no real need for tab tensioning...which adds both cost and complexity

perhaps go have a look at one around size considering if unsure :)

Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll save the money then and put it towards saving for a NZ7/NZ8. :laugh: 😢 :smashin:

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll save the money then and put it towards saving for a NZ7/NZ8. :laugh: 😢 :smashin:
if spending SO much on a projector ... you probably could do better than grand view :D

they are a solid choice and good if on a budget... but there is definitely better to be had.

screens are SO important :) id at the very least consider some of the other options availabe :)

anavfan

Interesting. Grandview was the make recommended by the guy who did my calibration. Stewart screens look too pricey, so what other makes do you recommend I look at then?

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Interesting. Grandview was the make recommended by the guy who did my calibration. Stewart screens look too pricey, so what other makes do you recommend I look at then?
when spending up so much on a projector ... a Stewart screen is probably small fry :D

no just kidding... look Stewart probably beyond my means as well... and so would be a NZ8 :D

we have a couple of options that sit somewhere between grand view and say stewart... but likely not an option to you where you are...

I'd explore local options :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom