1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandfather has just been scammed. FURIOUS!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ~Kev H~, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoken to my mum back home and she's been up to see her parents. She said when she walked to their front door there was a "funny smell in the air" and when she mentioned it to my grandad he said he'd show her why a bit later.

When she was leaving he pointed out that he'd had the block-paving "done".

I dont have many details yet but get this.. Someone was knocking door to door offering to sort out block paving, deal with weeds etc and spray something special on which will mean no weeds grow back. My grandad agreed to it and as it stands at the moment he is £600 (yes SIX HUNDRED pounds :eek: ) worse-off. :mad:

Taking advantage of the elderly is something that makes my blood boil !! :thumbsdow :mad:

Anyone know what can be done? I've been told by a couple of mates that the first place to go is a Citizens Advice Bureau, I'll get my mum to stop in there and speak to someone ASAP, I'm determined to get the money back for this.. £600 to spray some weedkiller on a pretty small area of driveway is a :censored: sick joke.

This is worse than stealing, this is essentially trickery combined with stealing. I bet the price tag was only mentioned after the job was done... but this i need to find out.

I'm back home at the weekend and I'm going to do what I can to track these people down, if I can get hold of a phone number I think I'll say I've heard good things and invite them round to do my drive at home. I'll get a :censored: mob together and corner the b:censored:s if I have to.

Anyone offer me some advice?

Cheers - Kev

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    yeah.... 'reversible elbows' is always a good place to start with scum like this.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dispicable crime & that's what it is.

Not belittling your grandfathers £600 but the sums that some are conned out of are unbelieveable.

The Police do prosecute in some circumstances & it's worth making an allegation to them if for no other reason than it provides intelligence on the conmen & can be used as evidence in another case to show similar modus operandi.

It is difficult to build a case against them because they do actually do some work (I know that is a bit laughable), but it would be easier to prove if they did nothing. When the Police successfully prosecute it is generally because they get exceptionally greedy & charge thousands for a bit of weeding & poor painting.
    In those cases expert witnesses will be brought in to provide estimates for the work that was carried out & the differences between that & the price charged, display the level of criminality involved.
    With £600 that may be harder to prove I fear.

4. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to make sure that your grandfather doesn't get a second and third visit to 'heat treat' the roof tiles or 'laminate the bricks' or some other scam. He is now known to have fallen for one trick, they might want a bit more 'easy pickings' from him

5. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Truly sickening Kev H,it makes my blood boil when I hear such :censored: animals are allowed to roam the streets.I wonder whether the BBC/ITV may be interested in tracking them down for one of their exposures.Wish your grandfather well for us.
    Regards
    Ian

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I think the problem is that people are being ripped off for even more money, with some people paying up to £20,000 for garden work, so knowing the major TV companies they would probably only be interested in the big cases. It could be worth contacting your local TV/radio station though ?

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Kev, have you contacted the Police/trading standards?

i'd have thought that would be a good place to start.

Gary

8. seb

seb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    definately should report this, you never know the police or trading standards could already be building a case on these people - it is important that they are told .

9. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all.

I sent my mum a text late last night telling her that we should inform the police as advised by Vonhoson (Cheers for the advice, I'd totally forgotten we had forum members in the Police force, well handy! :smashin: ) And I've been online and found out the opening hours for the Citizens Advice bureau, back in Essex it is only open for about 4 hours on a wednesday so I might stick my head in to one down here in Brighton while I'm out today.

Mum was in total dis-belief when she heard about it and told them not to ever agree to anything else that they are offered door-to-door.. She was worried these people might come back over-night as they now know my Grandparents have money in the house but they have a burglar alarm so I'm sure they will be ok.
    Thats a really good idea, cheers John. I've got a number for Essex FM I'll give them a call.

Kev

10. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Sorry to hear this Kev Its bad enough when its a stranger let alone your grandparents! :(

I think you got a good idea with getting your mates round to teach them a lesson or two, as the police wont do jack, of course the flaw in the plan is they will then know where you live :suicide:

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    There should be harsh physical punishments in place to stop this sort of thing. The sort of people that do these cons are scum and should be dealt with as such :mad: :mad:

12. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    How large was the driveway? I recently done my drive myself with a material called Resiblock. The driveway has to be jetwashed, sand has to be removed from the joints and then re-sanded (with DRY washed jointing sand). The Resiblock is in 25 litre tins and retails @ approx £180 + VAT. 1 tin will do abot 50 SQM. My area took two tins and it took a day to jetwash out. Followed by the re-sanding & application (2 coats) the following day which took about 6 hours for 2 of us (including drying time between coats).

Don't get me wrong not saying £600 is correct but the material is quite expensive if they have used Resiblock. But a pro would have an industrial jetwash and would only take about an hour to do the cleaning. Also they would get the Resiblock a bit cheaper. I managed to get my local builder merchant down to £165 including VAT per tin as I opened an account with them. So I would imagine someone doing it all the time would get the tins for around £130 so depending on the size of the drive this may help you work out how much the job should have been (assuming Resiblock was used), also a pro may have a spray applicator or even a machine so should be even quicker but I would imagine still at least a day all in for a reasonable size area, as you need to wait for the surface to dry after the intial clean then re-sand then apply then the second coat.

Hope this is of some help

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Kev,

If you can, try and get in touch with the local media (TV, radio or press). They may have heard of similar incidents, and together, they may be able to pressurise the local police force to do something.

Good Luck, mate, and let us know what happens. :) Sorry your family have had to endure this horrendous act by b**tards like these! :(

Pooch