• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Grand Theft Morality - it begins!

Chrispyphillips

Sorry guys, I know this thread is about the greatness of GTA4, but thought it would be worth a giggle if people wanted to check out 'Grand Theft Morality' on CNN, featuring none other than Jack Thompson.

Some very good quotes in there, including JT suing Take Two/Sony/Wallmart and best buy for 'training kids to become killers'. They most certainly havent played the game (setting cops on fire/cutting them in half with chainsaws :confused:) and are so funny, sat there, clutching at straws!

Loons :suicide:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzr138ijmaQ&e
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSCLrtioEI&NR=1

D

Deleted member 380232

Cut them in half with a chainsaw?? Cool - please tell me how to do that !

Would really help if he had played the game because Niko does not "celebrate murder"

chrislad

In all fairness, he was making some valid points.

Then, he brought on Jack Thompson. That man quite clearly does not know what he's talking about.

Isn't is normal on any show such as this to actually have opposing viewpoints and not a witch hunt?

nigel2shady

I suppose if everyone is deeply honest the game should be banned,as there is weirdos out there that after playing this game will carry out certain acts from it,for anyone normal I am sure they just see it as a laugh...

luKasledge

Chainsaw?? There are no chainsaws in this game. How can they bare face lie like that?

It's just a game *** :rolleyes:

You can't have oral or anal sex in the game either, these people are worse than Rockstar because they lie and mislead ignorant people.

Stinja

Distinguished Member
You can get a blowjob off the hookers - option 2 IIRC - so yes there is oral sex.

They are obviously fairly ignorant though; stating "the first three games ... this is the fourth", when we all know there were all the 2D games which are GTA as well, not to mention the PSP GTAs.

There are a bunch of other skewed facts too; such as the whole murder simulator for soldiers. WW1/2 had the draft and often little training, so yeah i can see hesitation in willingness to kill someone if you're an accountant and sent to the front :rolleyes: After that army's generally became more professional, with soldiers having a mindset more amiable to killing, and better training and weapons to allow them to do so. Given videogames couldnt really be near good enough to be murder simulators till Counter Strike in the late 90's i dont think you can blame them for better willingness to kill in Korea or Vietnam either.

One of the first things i did in GTA4 was "have sex" with a prostitute, and then beat her to death with a baseball bat, and i'm not running into work to kill all my co-workers? What does make me want to kill fellow human beings (and i use the term loosely) is seeing pap like these news reports, so maybe they should ban shoddy reporting! :devil: Can feel the anger rising right now...

I could go on, but really thats some shocking reporting with a few truths or thoughtful points floating amongst a flood of brain-excrement :suicide:

jason7579

I suppose if everyone is deeply honest the game should be banned,as there is weirdos out there that after playing this game will carry out certain acts from it,for anyone normal I am sure they just see it as a laugh...

I don't agree, if you take that viewpoint then they will have to ban probably 1000's of films, tv shows, books, games, music tracks, etc.... The game has an 18 rating and if you can't see the difference between fantasy and reality you should not own a console. Why should the majority miss out on entertainment, no matter how violent or immoral, just because of a tiny % of nutcases.

bobble_bob

I dont think it should be at all. Yes there is a 0.00001% chance that someone will play the game and go mental in the real world, but they were already mental in the first place, so this game hasnt changed them. Beer can make people aggresive but should that be banned?

Didnt violence exist before computer games? Media would try and convince you it didnt it seems. As always the people calling for it to be banned have never played a computer game in their life. GTA isnt even that bad really, ive seen far worse in games

reddevil63

Distinguished Member
Morality comes into play when parents buy 18 rated games for their under-age kids, thats where the problem lies.

mossmanfly

I think there major issue is that in the US it seems its rated as Mature and not Adult, don't know what implications there are in that but maybe it can be sold to people under 18. In the UK its an 18 so I dont think theres an issue with that, as most 18 yr olds and above know its a game.

If under 18's are playing then they should have responsible parents who will monitor there kids behavoiur to see what effects games/films have on them. I was playing 18 rated games and watching 18 rated movies before I was even 13 and it never affected me, as my parents raised me to know right from wrong.

For someone to go out and copy what GTA shows has underlying issues before even picking up the game. If it wasnt GTA it would be another game or film etc that they will try and copy.

shagaboopon

Let the misinformed idiots cry all they want, if and when they ever instigate investigations officially based on these morons then they'll shown up for the publicity merchants they are. The more you discuss these fools the more publicity they'll get in the future.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
I have to say I agree the game should be sold to adults only, which is what the debate is about in the clips. The US has a different - and far more relaxed (well when it comes to violence anyway) - rating system than we have. It is rated M for Mature in the US, but this does not mean it can't be sold to kids, which is astounding to me.

The problem comes about because if it was to get a 18+ Adults Only rating, then all the major stores wouldn't sell it as that's a classification generally only used for, well, adult films.

The US really needs to get itself a proper rating system that bans sale to under 18s but is still permitted in major retail stores, and then hopefully Jack Thompson can climb back under his rock.

Pebb

Distinguished Member
The following two videos show GTA IV can be far more tamer then the previous games:

[youtube]0kgo0VXGixk[/youtube]
[youtube]JXGSwx29EjI[/youtube]

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom