Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition (PS5) Review & Comments

Make new GTA games , fill them with new charecters , make a new world around those charecters with new stories .

Not a revisit and or money grab online .

So many great memories of these games, will definitely dabble in them if only for the nostalgia. However unlike films, games almost never age well. The production values, graphical fidelity, improvement to control mechanics, not to mention the sheer scale of modern games makes older games look fairly rudimentary. Still...they've got to be worth playing for the story at least. Oh and the jetpack. :)

After watching the digital foundry look at GTA 3 I will skip these. They used the mobile versions as the base which were buggy to begin with. A missed opportunity for sure, these could have been superb. It says it all that DF recommend that if you are playing on a PS5 your better off running the PS4 version for better frame rate and forget the extra resolution, shocking.

I played San Andreas on gamepass and was very disappointed at this remaster, when you play the likes of Resident Evil 2 and 3 then come back to this you can see it's really a poundland job by one of the biggest publishers in gaming.

This sort of half way house seems unlikely to please many. Either re-release the originals with a 4K frame buffer at 120fps(which may well have been possible through back-compat and FPS boost anyway), or actually re-make them as was done with Shadow of the Colossus and Demon Souls.

If anyone wants to see just how bad these are for little to no outlay, San Andreas is on Game Pass.

This release has "lazy cash grab" written all over it.

The original GTA 3 will apparently be available on PS Now in December, but I'm not even going to bother trying it for free. I'm already missing out on too many good games that are also free. :blush:

After watching the digital foundry look at GTA 3 I will skip these. They used the mobile versions as the base which were buggy to begin with. A missed opportunity for sure, these could have been superb. It says it all that DF recommend that if you are playing on a PS5 your better off running the PS4 version for better frame rate and forget the extra resolution, shocking.
Luckily I waited before buying this. DF were not impressed.
This sort of half way house seems unlikely to please many. Either re-release the originals with a 4K frame buffer at 120fps(which may well have been possible through back-compat and FPS boost anyway), or actually re-make them as was done with Shadow of the Colossus and Demon Souls.

If anyone wants to see just how bad these are for little to no outlay, San Andreas is on Game Pass.
Yeah very much this. But I don’t want them to spend even less time/money/manpower on GTA VI. But then this was probably why they offloaded it. But surely they knew it wasn’t right.
This release has "lazy cash grab" written all over it.

The original GTA 3 will apparently be available on PS Now in December, but I'm not even going to bother trying it for free. I'm already missing out on too many good games that are also free. :blush:
Yep. This is supremely lazy. I’ll let them off slightly over the cash grab, cos I do did want this. But they way this was handled, yeah cash grab.

DF gave the advantage to the XSX, which is the norm these days.
Can’t remember off the top of my head and may have got this the wrong way round, but was that not mainly down to something like on the PS5 there wasn’t any actual
change in the performance/quality options? As if it wasn’t triggering the two options.

But no one/thing came out of this looking good. A slightly better turd is still a turd

Can’t remember off the top of my head and may have got this the wrong way round, but was that not mainly down to something like on the PS5 there wasn’t any actual
change in the performance/quality options? As if it wasn’t triggering the two options.
Correct, the perfomance mode leaves all the extra grphic touches enabled hence it struggles. just goes to show how much the devs and QA were testing as they went along :facepalm:

Sounds like this is best left in the memory.
Lazy cash grab for sure.

Are they even working on GTA6?

There was a rumour they scrapped all the work they’d done when Sam Houser left and started again from scratch, hence why it’s not expected until the mid 2020’s. It was just a rumour but it would explain why it’s taking so long.

There was a rumour they scrapped all the work they’d done when Sam Houser left and started again from scratch, hence why it’s not expected until the mid 2020’s. It was just a rumour but it would explain why it’s taking so long.
Not a good sign if you ask me. Development hell and co-founders leaving is not a good recipe for anything.

Correct, the perfomance mode leaves all the extra grphic touches enabled hence it struggles. just goes to show how much the devs and QA were testing as they went along :facepalm:
The idea that a game comprised mostly of PS2 assets needs a performance mode is hilarious. It should be running at 120fps with ease.

It's just a car crash.

If you buy these you deserve all you get imo.
All you're doing is lining the pockets of a lazy, greedy developer who doesn't give a damn if they mug you off.
You're nothing to them, they just want your money for shat versions of old games on powerful hardware.
Utterly disgraceful.

All you're doing is lining the pockets of a lazy, greedy developer who doesn't give a damn if they mug you off.
You're nothing to them, they just want your money for shat versions of old games on powerful hardware.
Utterly disgraceful.
Absolutely spot on !

Finished the story in 3 last week and finished Vice City tonight.

Really enjoyed replaying these classics and will start San Andreas during my next 4 days off.

Utterly disgraceful.

Deserve what? Hours and hours of enjoyment?

Sounds like this is best left in the memory.
Lazy cash grab for sure.

They've definitely been working on it. It took 8 years for RDR2 and we are now 8 years on since GTA V released. Given the new tech, change of console platforms and likely scale of the game, it's not that unreasonable that it hasn't come out yet.

It's probably closer than we think. RDR2 came out of nowhere, though rumours of it being on developing existed, it kind of just appeared.

I've a feeling they don't want to release it on last gen consoles. It will limit the capability of the game and while some might argue that greedy Rockstar (actually Take2...) Would never ignore the 200million PS4 and Xbox One consoles, recent releases have shown the damage releasing on last gen consoles can do for a game.

Add to that the difficulty getting hold of new consoles, I think they'll wait until last gen consoles are phased out and there are more current gen machines in the wild.

Just a guess anyway. They might just wait until the PS6 and release it after they re-release "GTA V even more expanded and more enhanced to the max edition"

Deserve what? Hours and hours of enjoyment?
Lazy cash grab.
If that's your thing then that's fine I suppose but the more we DON'T hit them where it hurts for blatant poor quality releases then the less likely they will change their ways.

The idea that a game comprised mostly of PS2 assets needs a performance mode is hilarious. It should be running at 120fps with ease.

It's just a car crash.
That's the thing, its not the PS2 assetts its the mobie games they used for the remaster and the same dev that handled the mobile versions. They built o an already rocky foundation.

I would have loved this to be R* doing them, more love and attention would have taken.

IMHO, I'd be happy to play GTA 5 again, but remastered. If it looked like this then I'm in:

Lazy cash grab.
If that's your thing then that's fine I suppose but the more we DON'T hit them where it hurts for blatant poor quality releases then the less likely they will change their ways.
Everything is a cash grab though. But I wouldn't call it lazy. More the result of high pressure to meet a target release date from the publisher.

But that's ok. It's how almost every game over the past few years has been released. The day one patch has become the norm followed by many more fixes. It's just how it's done now.

And I'm not concerned that Rockstar will suddenly start making bad games. I struggle to think of an example of them doing so and the last release they worked on themselves was an absolute masterpiece. The next, whether GTA VI or something else will likely be one of the greatest games of all time.

But honestly, the trilogy has been great fun, which at the end of the day, is why we play games, is it not?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom