Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition (PS5) Review & Comments

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
The biggest issue I have is that via realism mods, these could look absolutely incredible on the new consoles.
Instead.......

kav

Distinguished Member
Having put ~10-12 hours into San Andreas via GamePass, all I can say is thank **** I didn't pay for this "remaster". As I expected, I've been enjoying it purely for the nostalgia factor - it really was a masterpiece for the PS2 era - but this is a dog's dinner.

I have so many questions. Why do the characters all look like amorphous barely-human blobs of Playdoh? Why do the controls feel even clunkier than they did in the original games? What exactly was remastered in this (as it damn sure wasn't the graphics or the sound, unless you count the occasional jarring hi-res asset and a bit of lighting)? Was it actually play-tested at all (as I've had multiple crashes to desktop in the short time I've put into it)? Why didn't they fix the terrible save system? Why didn't they address the ridiculously punitive respawn system? Why put achievements for one-off unrepeatable missions that require you to play the entire game again if you miss them? And on and on and on.

I read about them using AI to remaster the game, but I'm thinking maybe they used AI for everything. It would make sense if the entirety of "Grove Street Games" is just a bot being QA'd by other bots.

If you're the kind of person who thinks that adding ray tracing to Minecraft somehow stops it looking like sh*t, you may enjoy what they've done with this game. £54.99 is remake prices, not remaster prices. Anyone who paid £54.99 for this mess got screwed, even if they don't realise it. I would at a push pay £5.99 for this pack as long as it consisted of all three games and a heartfelt apology.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Having put ~10-12 hours into San Andreas via GamePass, all I can say is thank **** I didn't pay for this "remaster". As I expected, I've been enjoying it purely for the nostalgia factor - it really was a masterpiece for the PS2 era - but this is a dog's dinner.

I have so many questions. Why do the characters all look like amorphous barely-human blobs of Playdoh? Why do the controls feel even clunkier than they did in the original games? What exactly was remastered in this (as it damn sure wasn't the graphics or the sound, unless you count the occasional jarring hi-res asset and a bit of lighting)? Was it actually play-tested at all (as I've had multiple crashes to desktop in the short time I've put into it)? Why didn't they fix the terrible save system? Why didn't they address the ridiculously punitive respawn system? Why put achievements for one-off unrepeatable missions that require you to play the entire game again if you miss them? And on and on and on.

I read about them using AI to remaster the game, but I'm thinking maybe they used AI for everything. It would make sense if the entirety of "Grove Street Games" is just a bot being QA'd by other bots.

If you're the kind of person who thinks that adding ray tracing to Minecraft somehow stops it looking like sh*t, you may enjoy what they've done with this game. £54.99 is remake prices, not remaster prices. Anyone who paid £54.99 for this mess got screwed, even if they don't realise it. I would at a push pay £5.99 for this pack as long as it consisted of all three games and a heartfelt apology.
Thank goodness for sensible, logical and honest posts like this.
If only more people had the same ideals and morals.

urichris

Lots of fixes across the board here to address some of the problems.

Good to see they are putting out fixes at a good pace.

FevreDream

Can't really see what difference 10 days is going to make but physical editions have been delayed until December 17th. The Switch version is pushed into early 2022.

kav

Distinguished Member
Thank goodness for sensible, logical and honest posts like this.
If only more people had the same ideals and morals.
You know what's nuts, despite my scathing review, the nostalgia and renewed chance to enjoy what was at the time one of the greatest games ever made has superseded my irritation with the piss-poor job they have done of the remaster, and I've ended up spending a ton of time playing this. :laugh:

I don't take back my criticisms - the devs seem to have focused on too many of the wrong priorities - but damn it I'm loving being back in San Andreas. My eyes have adjusted to the horrific graphics and I'm just enjoying the story and all the side activities - punctuated by occasional bouts of rage at the awful AI.

A modern controller definitely seems to help with the game - I remember having real difficulty with Zero's missions back in the day, and the NRG500 challenge also being tricky, but they caused me minimal trouble this time around (though by modern standards Zero's missions are still atrocious - particularly the second one where you have to use the model plane to kill the targets).

It's been fun despite the pain points. I still wouldn't pay for it at the current price though. Will wait for it to drop below £10 to play 3 and VC.

kav

Distinguished Member
I couldn't help it... 🤣

20211207_013602.jpg

FevreDream

A fascinating bit of information has come to light about GTA3. Apparently Rockstar pitched the game to Microsoft in 2001 for it's new XBOX console. MS passed, unconvinced it would work in 3D. It, along with Vice City and San Andreas, then went to PS2 of course as exclusives for a while, became huge hits and played a significant part in PS2 becoming the biggest selling games console ever. What might have been eh?

FevreDream

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom