Grand Theft Auto IV Xbox 360 reviews

What do you rate GTA IV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
51GdMLLb7RL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Grand Theft Auto IV then eh? What do you make of it? One of the most hyped and critically acclaimed games released to date, but is the fuss worth it? Do you find yourself sucked into the story or just admire the detail of Liberty City? Or do you just find it pointless violence with little advancement to the videogame catalogue?

If you would like to share your opinion on this game, what you liked/disliked about it, please vote in the poll and comment in this thread.

Well I think it's superb. I didn't listen to or read any of the hype right up until a week or so from release so I didn't set my hopes too high. Yes, it can be a little slow at times but there's just so much to do, so much detail and so much going on in the background, sometimes I just find myself sitting there and watching the game.

The only niggles I have are the camera views in cars at times but other than that I can't really knock it much.

For me, outstanding. :smashin:

A few minor annoyances but in context nothing that would warrant reduction of a whole point out of ten.

I finished the story last night after 61 1/2 hours play time. Incredible game and well worth the hype and scores it's been recieving.

This is unquestionably a landmark game. The fidelity of the city is just incredible - and I'm not referring to the visual fidelity (although I happen to think the visuals are among the best I've ever seen in a videogame to date) - I'm talking about the living, breathing sheer believeability of Liberty City. It's a massively important point of context that lets you get involved in the game, sometimes without even realising that you are.

I can't pretend the mission structure or bare bones of how the game is constucted and played is revolutionary, but I feel you miss the point if that's how you solely perceive & play the game. It's a massive play pen with the best toys available to man littering the back alleys and landmarks. It lets you do those things you always wanted videogames to let you do. The fact is, this play pen has an involving story with characters you can emote about - people you'd really like to "remove" from your city, and people you feel attached enough to to risk losing your carefully constructed arsenal of weaponry.

Being a planner myself, I'm struck by just how knowledgeable the designers have been about being able to read the city - you can spot the landmarks without thinking, you have points of reference everywhere that let you get on with playing the game without having to fight against the environment you're in. The idea of taking taxis or public transport as short-cuts to locations is great, or you can drive yourself. You'd think that driving would become a bore at some point, but for whatever reason, it doesn't.

All in all, the discussions about high-definition visuals and next gen gameplay miss the point about this game. It's a world, it's something you're part of, it's a stunning techincal and story-telling achievement, and it is in my mind without a doubt outstanding.

Excellent synopsis of why GTA IV should be classed as outstanding, MB. One of the most immersive games I've ever played.

For all the negative comments, I've still yet to find anything that troubles me beyond mild irritation, which, when taken in context in terms of the scope of the game and length of time spent playing it, simply pales into insignificance and in no way detracts from the gameplay. An outstanding from me, without a doubt.

Look at it this way lads: not everyone sees what the big deal is about the Mona Lisa, but you can't dispute it is a masterpiece. Just because you might have dressed her in a shiny red bikini if you were painting her, doesn't mean that da Vinci was wrong to paint her like he did. :devil: ;)

Out:censored:ingstanding.

Its the best game I have ever played and the city is the star of the show, followed closely by Niko who has got to be one of the best if not the best game character ever. Add to that the wacky people you meet, the games graphics and technical feat, and some truely amazing missions(not all some) and you have to have an outstanding game.

:thumbsup:

Would be interested to hear why deeeyepeepeewhy thinks the game is worthless...:rolleyes: :suicide:

CeeJay, :rotfl: at your sig, nice one.

I voted very good. I love the free roaming movement, graphics, multiplayer, city design, characters, mobile phone system and playability, the cut scene dialogue is superb and loads of other things are hilarious. I'm also happy with the control system aswell.

After playing a while several things are just not right.
For me to be outstanding it would have to improve on a few items.

The missions are far too scripted and the early ones far too dull. For a free roaming game it just seems a shame that they have kept to the same system for missions. Like for example when you have to shoot someone in a car ahead of you, you can fire no end of bullets at him, but until they've reached that magic point, it makes no difference if you hit him a million times or none at all. As the missions are the core to the game it seems a shame they are so rigid.

6 stars - What I loved in previous games was that six stars would be hell. You would get tanks, trucks full of soldiers and jets. But this game six stars seems a little weak. I've escaped from six stars no end of times. Part of the thrill of previous games was trying to escape from 6 stars, which was pretty impossible before.

But those two are the only negative things I can say about what is a very good game. If I had to give it a score it would probably be 90%.

Would be interested to hear why deeeyepeepeewhy thinks the game is worthless...:rolleyes: :suicide:

Whatever poll you get for whatever product, film, game or whatever. People will always vote the lowest just because they can. :rolleyes:

Don't think you'll get a reply, their post history seems exclusively in the trading forum, with alot of blu-rays... Hmmm. :suicide:
Ahh that explains it, thats what I went to look at and was going to say he wouldn't know hes a film buff. Knows nothing about games, oh and bluray is a clue.:p

Perhaps a Mod can remove the vote to stop it skewing the results?
Not sure if Mod's or even Admin's have the ability to do this?

I know I've criticised the game but it's not that bad :D

vB allows it so somebody deffo can :)

I know I've criticised the game but it's not that bad :D
I can't physically remove it from the poll above (I think only super-mods have the power to do this, and I don't want to waste their time with it), but I can tell you that the spreadsheet that calculates our average scores removes spoiler votes and as such it won't be included in the Ratings Index when it gets updated.

i chose very good, mainly because its quite boring in a way after completing the missions. you cant go around on bikes, also there isnt much vehicles, you cant mod your vehicles and there isnt even any decent clothes shops. I hope the bring out the san andreas map for the extra because im starting to dislike liberty city tbh.

Anyone that votes this below Average should be banned from voting ;). I put outstanding but I do not suffer from many of the issues that hamper others play so we will no doubt see variance.

Excellent, bordering on outstanding.. The level of attention to detail in this game is just unbelievable. Everything from the targetting system to the brilliant radio stations.. It's classic Grand Theft Auto with this gen polish... It's rarely been out my Xbox tray since i got it.. It's a game that just brings me back for more and more.. I've not even been online yet ... The first time i got in to a chopper and flew around Libery City i was nothing short of awestruck by the sheer scale of the game. Jumping in to a speed boat was amazing too, it really feels like you're ripping through the waves. The water effects are stunning, as well as the various weather effects - brilliant.... The characters and storyline are really well done and very amusing, certainly a lot better then your average script in other games..

So why not a 10 out of 10, well it was close ( only Call of Duty 4 as achieved that score on the Xbox 360 for me ) i guess it's little things like the car handling, which is ok, but nothing special - it's certainly no Burnout Paradise City in this regard - and maybe some of the missions are a little bit too samey. And driving from one mission to the next can get a little bit tedious.. But apart from that i've got nothing but praise for the game.. It's certainly met my expectations, and in some areas exceded them..

Ideally i would of gave it a 9.5 out of 10, but due to the little foibles here and there, I've decided to give it a 9 ... :smashin:

Originally posted in the 360 failure thread so i've put my reply here to stop that thread going off topic....

Anyway, i've posted my views in blue.

Some of the more annoying problems for me were.

1. Regular walking is very slow and the camera angle can be rough turning corners. Getting out of the apartment or just walking is a chore. - To be honest I think that the camera does a decent job for a game of this type. Oh and walking is slow (try it with a strole down your street now and you will see that it's by no means quick) which is why there are cars, bikes, taxies etc. that you can use.

2. Although i like the driving controls i hate the camera again, its far too low making driving much harder than it should be. - The camera isn't great in 3rd person, but switch to bonnet cam and that is great! :thumbsup:

3. Minor problem with the radio in the fact there are about 8 songs that are good on it. - I love the radio and there's loads of variety on them IMO and plenty that I like (and more importantly suits the game). Maybe my tastes are just wider than yours.

4. This could just have been my 360 dying but it didn't look great, there were texture problems. - I own the PS3 version which looks great to me, but what i've seen of the 360 version it also looks great.

5. Probably the most important of all, after the shortish time i played on it (about 5-6 hours) i was bored, all i was doing was driving, killing someone, driving, killing someone, driving to the other end of the island to meet my cousing within the hour or he got annoyed, stealing a police car, killing someone. - You get out of GTA what you put into it and it really rewards folk who get into the experience. I've played 30 hours + and am still loving it.

I would like to apologise profoundly for ruining your poll Munkey boy, I just donÂ’t know what I was thinking having a different opinion to you maybe its best I go outside and give myself a good seeing to.

My reasons for have now been posted thanks to Cas Fan, so hopefully IÂ’m not as much a poll spoiler.

I would also like to add, I really missed not being able to buy houses and also the first phone was hard to read, black on a grey background, thanks for that, maybe that was just my 360 though.

I was a little too harsh voting this bad and IÂ’m sure youÂ’ll all moan, if I could change my vote it would go up to a 6 or 7 out of 10

I would also like to add, I really missed not being able to buy houses and also the first phone was hard to read, black on a grey background, thanks for that, maybe that was just my 360 though.

That's certainly a valid point and it's just as hard to read on the PS3 version. Increasing the phone's text size helps, but it's still pretty bad. Thankfully, future phones are better.

I have the worst eyes in the world, I sit 3 feet from my 50" Bravia TV. I read the text with no problem, its funny how we are all different and thats why it makes gaming great. My point is I am not saying you couldn't see it easily but with my shot eyesite I had no problem, strange. I still say the game GTA4 is, outstanding. :thumbsup:

I have the worst eyes in the world, I sit 3 feet from my 50" Bravia TV. I read the text with no problem, its funny how we are all different and thats why it makes gaming great. My point is I am not saying you couldn't see it easily but with my shot eyesite I had no problem, strange. I still say the game GTA4 is, outstanding. :thumbsup:

Sadly my TV isn't as big as yours - just 40" :( and I sit about 3 times further away from the screen (about 3 metres). I've never had any problem reading text from that distance before and the eyes are fine, but I have to get up and move closer to read texts on GTAIV (even with the text size on large).

It is an outstanding game though IMO. I absolutely love it! :clap:

Well.............I really want to love this game, I in no way am questioning the reviews it has been getting and am sure that it is indeed living up to the hype surrounding it but.............I just can't get into it!!
I have probably played it 4 times since buying it and after 20 mins or so I just get bored and start driving around running people over (in the game of course), come to think of it I was like this with GTA SA when that came out. I have heard that after 3 of 4 hours the game really wakes up, Call me stupid, call me shallow, call me what you will but I can't seem to gather the patience to get this far. For me there has to be an early level that really grips me eg COD3, COD4, GOW etc otherwise I lose interest too easily. I haven't voted yet incase I do eventually get into it but I thought i'd just put my opinion out there!!

(and before anyone points out the viva pinata icon in my tag - that's just so damn addictive)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom