Grand Theft Auto IV framerate help required

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by nero0410, Jun 10, 2009.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,978
    i have an acer aspire 6920g with an 9500M GS, t5800 @ 2.0 ghz and 3gb RAM.
    Im using the latest drivers for my gfx card.
    GTA IV is getting very low framerates (about 10-18 fps) on the lowest settings at 800x600 resolution.
    There doesn't seem to be much difference if i turn the texture and resolution up to high and set the rendering quality up to highest the fps only goes down about 2.
    There is only a noticeable drop when i turn the viewdistance up.
    I ran the in-game benchmark test first with: 800x600, low,low,1,1,1,0 and got about 13.98 fps average, 210 of 497 mb used on the video card.
    Then i ran it with 1366x768, High,Highest,1,20,20,2 and got 19 fps average???? 513 of 495 mb used.
    I have also patched GTA IV to the latest version

I'm able to run other newish 3D games fine:
    Fallout 3 high settings 1280x720
    Oblivion the same

Anyone have any idea if GTA IV has any issues still??
    Or
    How to resolve what I have on my laptop??

(will try this on my main system too, but thought I'd be able to play it at lowest settings on the laptop too:confused:)

Thanks

tris

2. Deadringers

Deadringers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,800
    seem to remember reading somewhere that GTA is limited by the CPU processor speed in some cases and not in fact the GPU...
    i could be totally wrong and have made that up but i seem to remember reading that somewhere!

Good luck!

3. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    You need a beefy cpu and gpu to run gta iv. Its well known as a badly coded game.

4. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,978
    Thanks guys

seems that I'll be playing this on my main system then, if that can handle it:rolleyes:
    It is a fair bit more powerful than my laptop, I'll let you know how it goes on there.

tris

5. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Any idea if my pc will get playable framerates.

Amd phenom x4 2.5ghz, 4850, 4gb ram.

Razor you mentioned that it's badly coded, so can I expect unstable framerates regardless?

Does anyone here get a steady 60fps?

6. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,365
    tbh you may struggle a bit on that setup. It has been badly ported which is a shame. I have a fast machine which does run it smooth and is way better than the console efforts but that has required a stupid amount of power for what is essentially a console game. Tbh if I was you I would stick with the console version unless somebody with a similar spec to you can advise accordingly.

7. mrbobc

mrbobc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    view distance seems to be the main culprit, even on top end machines. try to keep that down.

8. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    It seems to be common now that pcs do get badly optimised console ports. :thumbsdow:

I was hoping to get at least the performance of the consoles but maybe I'm kidding myself.

MAybe someone with simialr specs will be able to give their experiences.

9. Krakin

Krakin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    With WinXP Pro, a quad core Intel Q6600, 4GB DDR2 (800) ram and a GTX280 on the latest driver (nothing overclocked) at 1680x1050 resolution I get 40 fps and that's with Water quality Very High, the rest High, View 37, Detail 70, Vehicle 51, Shadow 10.

For comparison in the Crysis demo running Benchmark GPU (the one where it flys you around an island) set to 1680x1050 using a tweak to get everything to very high graphics I get 34 fps (37.7 fps with the same test in the full game).

Something that helps a lot in GTA4 is minimising the Rockstar Games Social Club application. The difference in the benchmark after playing a couple of hours was 6 fps between it being minimising or maximised. I tried adjusting the priority and the number of cpu cores it could access but nothing except minimising it worked.

If you have Vsync turned on I'd recommend downloading Rivatuner and running the program D3DOverrider which is an extra application often overlooked. It basically does the job that triple buffering does for OpenGL, except that it does it for DirectX3D so will work with GTA4. In effect it makes the game smoother. I prefer Vsync on and that utility running in the background to Vsync off and having screen tearing. The difference should be even more noticable on slower computers so you might want to give it a go and it's very simple to use.

10. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The thing about GTA IV is the PC version is ported from the XBox360, which has a tipple core CPU. It appears to be a bit of a lazy port (in more ways than one :rolleyes: ), as a result it really requires at least 3 CPU cores, even if the two cores in your dual core CPU are miles faster than each of the XBox360's.

11. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Well finally installed this and surprisingly I get 60fps in the indorro sections and 40-45 outdoors :eek:

I've got textures set to high and render set to very high.

12. Krakin

Krakin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    As others have said it's pretty much the cpu that's the limiting factor in GTA4. I compared some results from people on websites and a 2.4ghz quad showed faster than a 4ghz dual core that had a better high end GPU and ram so it really pays to have a quad and the faster the better if you want to run this at it's best.

Oops I just noticed I didn't say that the 40 fps I got was the average in the GTA4 benchmark, it drops to 37fps for the same test after I've been playing a few hours but doesn't get any worse. Like you I get varying rates in the game itself depending on the scene, 60 indoors, 45 in good weather, worst I've seen was 19 fps when I looked at a heavily populated scene with a lot of billboard lighting effects in bad weather which is a lot to process. I didn't notice a framerate difference from using a very high filter render instead of high. I think it reset to high last time I did an update. When you get the settings you like make a note of them as it will happen to you next update.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  13. mista_c

mista_c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just built a new PC which has an AMD Phenom x4 905e @ 2.5 Ghz and 2gb ram. I've yet to get a proper graphics card yet, so am currently just using the mobo's integrated HD4200.

Obviously I didn't expect miracles with this graphics chipset, but I am baffled as to why my CPU isn't doing much when running this game - the usage doesn't seem to ever go above 40%. Is this normal?

14. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Your cpu usage will more than likely ramp up once you get a decent gpu in your rig. :)

15. mista_c

mista_c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah, ok thanks. Seems like a simple bottleneck then.