Gran Turismo Sport

Just making the final touches to my McLaren 650S for the daily races at Spa this week.

View attachment 1230326
Haven't raced online yet but noticed there was a GT4, GT3 and a same car race.

Is that the norm for online daily races and can you chaps recommend a decent GT3/4 car?

Can you also be relatively competitive if you don't do any tinkering to the cars or is it essential?
So wish I'd got into this sooner!

Haven't raced online yet but noticed there was a GT4, GT3 and a same car race.

Is that the norm for online daily races and can you chaps recommend a decent GT3/4 car?

Can you also be relatively competitive if you don't do any tinkering to the cars or is it essential?
So wish I'd got into this sooner!

You can't tinker with the cars because they are all have BOP on, its the norm to have the same 3 daily races for the whole week, Race 1 is usually a single make race, the 2nd race is either Gr.3/Gr.4, and race 3 is usually much longer in length more akin to what you will see in the Manufacturers/Nations Cup FIA races.

The matchmaking is some of the best in gaming you will always be matched with players at your level, you won't be matched with the guys from the FIA live finals.

It'll take a few races to get to the speed and safety rating that matches your ability. My advice would be to try and race as clean as you possibly can for the first few online races.
No real advice on cars, find one that you like driving and feel fast in. When you're in the same tier as your ability you'll find the races pretty close.

To start with focus on racing clean even if it means letting drivers through, your main priority here should be to get your SR (safety rating) to S as quickly as possible, this will get you into the better quality races in terms of how clean they are, DR (driver rating) E and D class races are a bit of a bum fight, its vital that you get out of these destruction derby races as quickly as possible.

To start with focus on racing clean even if it means letting drivers through, your main priority here should be to get your SR (safety rating) to S as quickly as possible, this will get you into the better quality races in terms of how clean they are, DR (driver rating) E and D class races are a bit of a bum fight, its vital that you get out of these destruction derby races as quickly as possible.
Thank you mate. I've always tried to drive clean in other racers and am aware of the importance of it in this game so I'll certainly take that on board :thumbsup:

I decided to get the Lewis Hamilton DLC. Not bad and some decent times to try and beat.
Even though Dragon Trail isn't my favourite track but got within 8 tenths or so of his time. Lacking a bit on Suzuka and Interlagos and didn't spend much time on it all but the car really understeers horrifically and the Merc GT3 is the car I drive a lot online so takes getting used to with no grip!

While you can't tinker with the cars much, it's worth looking at the Traction Control and Brake Balance settings for various cars and in the longer races with pitstops the fuel mix too.
The default TCS3 can be quite a drag on your times, I find dropping it to 2 is almost always possible and with the FWD and 4WD 0 is simple enough to drive. Some of the RWD cars can be quite twitchy though and spins are a real PITA with a wheel as the game takes ages to reset you and 3 point turns are no fun at all.
The brake balance can make quite a difference too.

BTW those settings seem to reset to default on non-owned cars when you're doing other things so worth checking each time before the start line.

While you can't tinker with the cars much, it's worth looking at the Traction Control and Brake Balance settings for various cars and in the longer races with pitstops the fuel mix too.
The default TCS3 can be quite a drag on your times, I find dropping it to 2 is almost always possible and with the FWD and 4WD 0 is simple enough to drive. Some of the RWD cars can be quite twitchy though and spins are a real PITA with a wheel as the game takes ages to reset you and 3 point turns are no fun at all.

BTW those settings seem to reset to default on non-owned cars when you're doing other things so worth checking each time before the start line.
Thank you mate. I shall definitely take that on board. Cheers.

I always have TCS set to 0. It was tricky at first well worth the pain in the end. :D

Here's a few Brake Bias reference points i use as a base starting point.

Gr.3

MR = - (1-3)
FR = + (1+3)

Gr.4

MR = 0 +3
FR = +2, +4
4WD = +5
FF = +5

I still can't get on with TC on 0 for most cars except 4WD and a select few others. I stick TC on 2 and can be pretty competitive most of the time. I have adapted to only having TC kick in at certain times where it helps and can feather the throttle and keep the sliding to a minimum so it doesn't kick it at other times.

Maybe as and when I replace my G29 with a shiny Fanatec I'll be able to sort TC out :)

I still can't get on with TC on 0 for most cars except 4WD and a select few others. I stick TC on 2 and can be pretty competitive most of the time. I have adapted to only having TC kick in at certain times where it helps and can feather the throttle and keep the sliding to a minimum so it doesn't kick it at other times.

Maybe as and when I replace my G29 with a shiny Fanatec I'll be able to sort TC out :)

I'm a lowly a pad peasant. :laugh:

Doesn't mean you aren't fast though :smashin:
I'd struggle to be as quick on a pad as I am on a wheel.

Its the cosistency i struggle with on the controller, i tend to stick to daily race qualifying. :D

I'm a lowly a pad peasant. :laugh:

TBH I'm usually on 2 but sometimes 1 depending on the vehicle - the exception being the 4WD which I can cheerfully charge around with all 4 wheels slipping :).
I find the diifference between 3 and 2 is noticable but it doesn't make most cars so twitchy I'm spinning all the time.
The problem (for me) is that if I miss the fact that I've started to oversteer out of a corner then applying enough counter steer, fast enough is tricky - if I don't manage it and spin then getting back to the track and pointing the right way is so slow that I've basically lost any chance in the race.
I think that's a big issue on a wheel that isn't so bad on the pad - as you can just flick full opposite lock in a thumb twitch. Likewise when you're in the weeds on the pad it's quicker to rejoin.
My least favourite thing is ending up with the wheel at an unknown angle, trying to work out which paddle to use to get back to reverse :blush:

Oh but if you can train yourself to watch the ABS light out of the corner of your eye that's a great alert to the fact that things are going sideways before you necessarily notice the tyres complaining. ;) I usually see it ... too late.

I spent the evening recovering my SR ranking back to S again and had some cleaner races to boot. Still got a DR of D when I was B before, but maybe I am just getting slower. Or maybe it's the Lexus. Either way the Grp 4 race at Spa is great, but needs to be longer.
Didn't like the M3s at Suzuka, and the Dallara at Barcelona is good but I'm really not used to that car.

What. A. Game. Had about half a dozen Gr4 daily races this evening around Spa using the Mitsubishi Evo. Think my best finish was around 10th/11th out of 16 but I thoroughly enjoyed it and cannot wait to get on again soon.

Just need to learn to stay on the track as those penalties were killing me!

I spent the evening recovering my SR ranking back to S again and had some cleaner races to boot. Still got a DR of D when I was B before, but maybe I am just getting slower. Or maybe it's the Lexus. Either way the Grp 4 race at Spa is great, but needs to be longer.
Didn't like the M3s at Suzuka, and the Dallara at Barcelona is good but I'm really not used to that car.
I find it takes several races to rise up the rankings, but you can drop down in only one. Last week I was B/B but one Gr3 race at Interlagos which had a chaotic first lap saw it dive to D/E.

I find it takes several races to rise up the rankings, but you can drop down in only one. Last week I was B/B but one Gr3 race at Interlagos which had a chaotic first lap saw it dive to D/E.

What....one race and you tumbled down to a D DR? that's savage.

I'm perpetually on SR S but DR D. I bounce along the boundary of moving up on DR but I don't get enough time to qualify and then consolidate good final positions for enough time to stay up if I make it.
I don't find it too bad as long as I keep my S so the worst rammers aren't in the same races.

I really disliked the M3 race. I was reasonably fast and was coping with the tail happiness but in the couple of races I tried I just kept getting nudged from behind by cars that then pushed through then I got penalties for exceeding track limits :confused:

I'm perpetually on SR S but DR D. I bounce along the boundary of moving up on DR but I don't get enough time to qualify and then consolidate good final positions for enough time to stay up if I make it.
I don't find it too bad as long as I keep my S so the worst rammers aren't in the same races.

I really disliked the M3 race. I was reasonably fast and was coping with the tail happiness but in the couple of races I tried I just kept getting nudged from behind by cars that then pushed through then I got penalties for exceeding track limits :confused:

If you are SR S you should be able to up your DR to at least D quite easily. Even starting at the back and just keeping it clean and take no risks. Usually others will spin off or mess up and you can take places.
Best tactic is to not fight any challenges too hard, it's fine to let people through sometimes.

Oh and if you keep getting nudged form behind then just go off the track slightly and they will get a penalty ;)

If you are SR S you should be able to up your DR to at least D quite easily. Even starting at the back and just keeping it clean and take no risks. Usually others will spin off or mess up and you can take places.
Best tactic is to not fight any challenges too hard, it's fine to let people through sometimes.

Oh and if you keep getting nudged form behind then just go off the track slightly and they will get a penalty ;)
You'd think so wouldn't you? ;) It seems I'm quite erratic.
Looking at my history - ironically between races 40-60 I appear to have been driving like a bit of an arse and yet I was getting better places :eek: :blush:
Perhaps I should let mr SR plumet and go and play in the banger races 🤣

You can see the last few races were 2 laps of the Nurburg ring - which were messy for a bit but drop outs and spinners and some genuine racing, so I made places. I was quite polite too.

You can see the impact of a couple of those M3 Suzuka races yesterday - knocking down my SR and DR.

My brief pop into the level above was when I got time to set a sensible qualifying time and then lead from the front.

1575977710665.png

Biggest problem is I don't get long sustained time to race - so I drop in on whatever looks like fun and end up in a squabble with other casual racers with no qualification times.

I never find the penalties compensate enough for the harm done. Avoiding people messing up yesterday I got track limits penalties - when I was punted I saw them get 3-5 seconds but it cost me a hell of a lot more than that to rejoin.

Same problem I have, only maybe 90 minutes once or twice a week so I tend to pick the races that I have always enjoyed and done good at such as Interlagos, Suzuka etc...
I have raced them so much that i can set a decent qualy time in a few laps and then have 3 races or so in a session. Unless I happen to have loads of time I tend to stay away from any races I haven;t done much of so never do Daily A and rarely Daily C.

Maybe over Xmas you can put a bit of time into getting some good qualy times? I'm hoping I get a bit of time to play a bit more as I love a good few hours racing :)

No, no chance at Christmas. My partner works away for some nights in the week so I get a couple of hours here and there when the kid is in bed. If I stuck to GTS then I could do more but I also play RDR2 with some old gamer friends.
I guess I'll just have to live in DR D and not worry too much ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom