Gran Turismo HD demo details

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Syncro, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Syncro

Syncro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only a few more days to go for this! :thumbsup:

Sony is delivering the ultimate Christmas gift to Japan this year: a free demo of Gran Turismo 5, set for download starting December 24 exclusively via the PlayStation Store. Thanks to Famitsu, we were able to relive our childhoods and get a sneak peak at the gift in advance.

According to the latest issue of the magazine, the demo, titled Gran Turismo HD Concept, will ship with one course and ten cars. The course is the all new Eiger Nordwand, and you'll be able to race it normal and reverse.

The car list has mostly Japanese vehicles, but there are some high profile foreign models in the bunch. Here's the full list:

Suzuki Cappuccino '95

Mazda Eunos Roadster '89

Honda Integra Type R'04

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR'96

Infinity G35 Coupe

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR'05

Lotus Elise 111R'04

Nissan Sky Liner GT-R V Spec II '94

Toyota Celica GT-FOUR Rally Car '95

Ferrari 599'06

You start the demo off exclusively with the Cappuccino, but by clearing the time attack mode in a pre-set time, you'll be able to unlock the next car. Eventually, you'll unlock a drift trial mode.

The magazine also scored an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi. The Gran Turismo series producer talked about how the demo came about, and what we can expect in the coming year from his hard working team at Polyphony Digital.

Asked to explain why Sony decided to skip out on a retail release for Gran Turismo HD, and instead focus on GT5, Yamauchi admitted that following the Tokyo Game Show, gamers expressed their desire for the full game. He made specific mention of overseas gamers, which means that if you complained on a message board, your voice might have been heard.

Yamauchi spoke vaguely on the relationship between GT5 and GTHD. While not getting into specifics, he stated that his team wants to put both GTHD Premium and GTHD Classic into the new title. Asked if Sony intends on carrying out its ambitious plans for downloadable content, Yamauchi stated that there has yet to be a decision on whether or not to carry the business model over.

On the topic of the GTHD Concept demo itself, Yamauchi revealed that the Christmas Eve download will include Polyphony's next generation driving simulation engine. According to the producer, this engine fixes such areas as drift control and drift angle. As previously announced, the demo won't have online races, but it will offer network rankings separated according to the various cars. Replays from the top ranked players will be available for download, so you can see how the best of the best race.

More downloadable content will become available before GT5's full release. Yamauchi promised a photo mode of some form to become available for download. He wouldn't give a specific time frame.

Yamauchi also promised an official announcement for Gran Turismo 5 before the next Tokyo Motor Show, scheduled for October 27, 2007. We plan on getting close and personal with the GTHD Concept demo until then.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/751/751831p1.html

2. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I hope this is going to be available on the Hong Kong store, as I already have a login for it, if not will just have to set up a japanese id!

3. Smak

Smak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
  4. Syncro

Syncro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just set up a JAP account to download this trailer. Looks like we are in for a treat with the demo if the quality of the cars in the trailer are anything to go by.

5. filthy667

filthy667

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :eek: I must set up a Jap account today. Now to find a address i can use.

6. _Belial

_Belial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Should be good fun this, just a real shame we can't buy any of the extra tracks at all here in the UK :((

7. hey69

hey69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Gunhawk

Gunhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +902
    Wow that is some very realistic cgi, very tasty!!! bring on GT5 next year! :thumbsup:

9. hey69

hey69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats not CGI , thats realtime rendered , the demo you can download in 2 days ;)

10. Fozzy17

Fozzy17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
  11. Syncro

Syncro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The trailer is now available in the HK store as well.

12. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    THAT is amazing. GT3 easily had the best graphics on the old system and for some time too!

I really liked GT4. I hope this comes with:

a) an online mode
    b) better AI than the awful drone like cars of the older games

Much as I found the single player game of the PGR games to be a bit lightweight, the online play was great laughs. Nothing beats the random human error and flair from online drivers.

13. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    once the pre pay cards come out i guess we will..:)

14. FullMetalAlchy

FullMetalAlchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have a HK account and click add funds in the HK store, it will allow you add money to your account. I have been able to download paid for content of there.....

15. quarryfied

quarryfied
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  16. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    someone on the dvdforums claims its out on the US store. Can't get on as i haven't done the 1.32 update yet.

17. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If i go to the US store, the headline appreas, but when clicking on the GTHD icon it says its 'no content is available'...

It wont let me log on to the JPN or HK store.... anyone else have this trouble??

18. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Its overloaded at moment thats reason you cannot get it.

I got the JPN version and its ok, graphics arent stunning but it is running at 1080p. Id wait until we can all get logged back in and get the USA version though as the JPN version is all in full japanese no option to switch languages.

19. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332

with a uk creadit card?

20. FullMetalAlchy

FullMetalAlchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, i didn't seem to work when I tried to add a credit card through the "manage my account" option, but when I clicked "add funds" through the store it worked fine....

21. pyrotenax

pyrotenax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Im logged into the USA store at the moment and download is in progress :smashin:

22. FullMetalAlchy

FullMetalAlchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just downloaded the GTHD demo, and its total poo!!!!!!

When there is PGR3 out there doing a much better job and there is the awesome MotorStorm showing us how fun a racing game can be I can't help but feel a little let down by this offering..... Not that I am to bothered, at least Sony didn't feel the need to charge us for this ....

I know its just a demo but come on...... lame lame lame....... Lets hope they sort it out for a proper GT game.......

23. mcdermotx

mcdermotx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Downloaded the US one..
    very GT like........so don't expect anything out of the ordinary
    Nice to see it running at 1080p/60fps solid all the same, the course is a little on the bland side though, either that or the graphics are a little too "clean" if you know what I mean.
    Whether or not the game would've been able to push a solid 60fps with other cars on the road/other courses etc....we'll never know, but it certainly gives it a smoother look compared to the likes of Project Gotham (which would have been nice at 60fps, if Bizarre Creations had been given the time)

24. _Belial

_Belial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Of course it's GT like, it's fekin GT :)

It's brilliant, simply as that really. It's GT but looking 100% better than it ever did, how can you go wrong? People who expect an arcade racer, motorstorm etc clearly just havent been paying attention and/or played GT before.

If you liked GT, you'll simply LOVE this

25. mcdermotx

mcdermotx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm sure GT fans would love it, its just that GT is a bit long in the tooth now for me (no damage is beyond a joke at this stage...better have it in GT5), and much to realistic to play without a wheel.........couple of people I've already showed it to much preferred 10mins of PGR3 to this, can't say I blame them. In the end they enjoy playing that game more, and thats what counts.

26. _Belial

_Belial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Aii fair enough, guess no racing game's ever gonna please everybody, my fave racer of all time is still actually burnout, dont think i've ever had so much fun in a racing game as i do in burnout. PGR always felt a little confused, was all graphics and never really knew if it was supposed to be a sim or an arcade game. Whereas GT has never pretended to be anything but a damn fine sim and burnout a damn fine arcade game.

Crash damage, yep guess that could be annoying, but i always play these games in cockpit/low-down view anyway so never see my car damaged :)

But yep, it's not really going to appeal to people who want an "arcade" fix of racing. But it's defo worth keeping at it, the 1st two cars are crap, but things really start getting fun on the demo once you unlock the integra and above.

27. Fozzy17

Fozzy17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Just unlocked Drift mode thats pretty good, not a huge leap though.

28. Mekon1

Mekon1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the GT:HD demo is fantastic, but then I am a huge fan of GT. I feel that the handling is the best ever on a racing game. I am playing with the Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel and the lack of rumble is a shame, but the handling is wicked.

It looks stunning on my Sony Barvia 40X in 1080p, a nice free gift from Sony.

Cheers
    Steve

29. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    It does look nice, but thats sort of what you would expect.

I really see no change in game play from the last couple of games.

Just nicer graphics.

Theres still no car damage, awfull collision detection, and so on.

I really see no difference between the demo and the last GT game since it was also in 1080.

I admit the traks, backgrounds and the audience look a lot better. The cars also look good, but again, thats not enough to make it a better game.

Theres very little evolution in GT games.:boring:

30. Smak

Smak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Well this is GT:HD not GT5, let's see what additions PP come up with when the game is actually released.