Gran Turismo 5: Prologue PS3 Reviews

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by catisfit, Jan 15, 2008.

?
  1. 10 (Genre defining)

4.7%
  2. 9 (Outstanding)

26.0%
  3. 8 (Excellent)

39.6%
  4. 7 (Good)

17.2%
  5. 6 (Above average)

7.7%
  6. 5 (Average)

4.1%
  7. 4 (Below average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3 (Bad)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2 (Very poor)

0.6%
  10. 1 (Appalling)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. catisfit

catisfit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    As a large number of people have imported this already, and scores were being discussed in the other thread, we thought it would be useful to have a review thread.

Mods may disagree as it is not on the UK store or shop shelves yet, but if they disagree entirely then could they add JAP to the title to confirm this is for reviews of the Japanese version?

To keep this thread to reviews only, any questions about how to order, purchase or play should be directed to this post FIRST, and then the play and help thread if the answer is not there.

NOTE that you should rate this as a full release, i.e. ratings should compare to other racing games available right now. Do not rate this as a 'demo'.

2. sneeks

sneeks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    9/10

Great game but could do with some improvements regarding online access and penalty system.

3. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    8/10

Very good in many ways.
    Most importantly it plays better than any previous GT game particulary with a wheel setup. Handling is greatly improved and although the AI doesnt show it at the start as you progress in Single Player mode you will find in the upper classes that its quite challenging. The game offers more gameplay than many full titles so dont let the fact its not a full game put you off.

Feel of the driving and the control/handling of the cars is the best bit about this release for me. Menu structure, audio dynamics and online racing could all be improved.
    Online racing is either brillant or a total frustration depending on the people your racing against. Lack of private lobbys is greatly missed.

Still its an excellent preview into what GT5 is really going to offer.
    When its released in full Ive no doubts it will be the best console racing game for a long time.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I've reviewed this as a prologue, not a full GT release so my score reflects that.

VFM - Given it's price, it provided hours and hours of gameplay for the racing fan and i've already played this more than Forza 2 and way more than either 360 PGR game. So value wise it beats any other game in it's genre and most other games in general hands down. 10/10

Graphics - there's the odd glitch but the framerate is superb, the detail and lighting is incredible (way better than the competition). The car models are extremely well realised and simply can not be touched. The scenery ranges from superb to good and perhaps only stands out a little because everything else looks so realistic! The in cockpit view is superb and is a joy to drive. 9.5/10

Sound - Realistic engine noises and atmospheric effects add to the feeling of being there. The soundfield doesn't seem quite right yet but all in all I was pretty impressed by the sound. 8/10

Gameplay - This is where it really wins out. The physics blow everything previous away when the game is played in full sim mode with the aids off. Chuck in a logitech G25 and you have something that is closer to actually driving a real car than a any of the video games that have gone before. You feel every deviation in the surface of the road, evry wheel spin and if you drop a wheel off the road the car reacts just as you would expect. My words can not really do this justice but if this scoring scale I was using went above 10 then so would this score! 10/10

Online - Works well when you get a clean race. Sadly that is rare and PD need to do something to try and help solve this problem. That said, when we can all race each other it should make for some superb races! Online TT's work well and considering that this is their first online attempt with GT, the initial results are promising. I look forward to a full fleshed out online mode in the final game. 8/10

Presentation - Visually superb again, but having to go right to the initial menu to change options or car is a right pain! This needs a more intuitive menu system in the final game. Otherwise superb. 8.5/10

Overall - A stunning game that anyone even who remotely likes racing sims should play! It's better than most full price games so given that it's a mere prologue I can't give it less than a 10/10 (not an average).

I know folk will say, but you've mentioned some negatives, how can it be a 10! All I will say is that i've got SMG (my GOTY) left half done, Mass Effect (my 2nd best GOTY) left unfinished and COD4 (3 3rd best GOTY) hasn't been played since I got this either. It's stopping me playing those great games as basically I would rather play this than them. To give any game that I would rather play than those 3 games less than a 10 would just be wrong IMO. This is one of the best video games i've ever played (despite it's monor flaws).

5. CurlyPutz

CurlyPutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    9/10 from me - almost perfect but not quite.

6. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,410
    9/10 - superb game. The only reason why it is not 10/10 is the on-line penalty system and lack of lobbys. I'm really looking forward to the full version

7. EdgeUK

EdgeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Would have to agree with Bad Robot.

The game is great in many ways but there are some basic elements that are missing in terms of online, which I am sure will be added to GT5 if not a patch update to GT5P.

So (for now) it's and 8 for me.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    The good thing is that no matter what our individual perceptions are relating to a score, we all agree that they have got the core gameplay absolutely spot on. Every other sim racer deserves to be at least a point or two below what ever this gets IMO as for pure driving enjoyment nothing comes close. I guess it's how much emphasis people put on that as opposed to the menu's or online system that will determine the score.

9. catisfit

catisfit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Graphics
    Some of the best available. A few jaggies here and there, the occasional lod issue (usually with in-car shadows from an external camera at a distance), some tearing on the London track through Piccadilly circus. Considering they have a year to improve them for GT5, I'm astounded.

Sounds
    Little more than average. Tyre squeak/squeal/squall isn't really present, it's just a stock squeal. Collisions sound like a small child trying to crush a Coke can. Engine noises, both internal and external are good, if quiet, on the better cars, not so much on the poorer ones.

Physics
    Considering the wide range of cars, settings, tyres etc, the physics are spot on. You can go into a corner too fast and get bucketloads of understeer, then mash the loud pedal a touch too quick and get a helping of power oversteer.

AI
    Starts off a bit same-old-GT, but in the advanced races gets a lot better. The AI battle with each other, and quite often in the 16 car races you'll come across a car recovering from an incident you had nothing to do with.

Tracks
    Fuji and Suzuka are spot on (Fuji has always bored me in real life, Suzuka has always excited me) The Daytona road course is very technical and great fun. Eiger Nordwand is a great little track. London is what I was most looking forward to (I live there), in fact the track goes past the front of my favourite sports bar on Haymarket. I've walked the streets in the game many times (last time, about 3am on Wednesday morning!!) and they are spot on, the only difference is a few traffic islands have been removed in the middle of the road, for obvious reasons. Great fun.

Damage
    There is no car damage. But then I don't crash much. If I want to crash, I play Burnout. I would like to see performance degradation due to incidents though, clip a barrier in London too hard and your steering goes out of true, bump a car in the rear and you lose a bit of power as the radiator is damaged. Not bothered about visual damage, although a patch is rumoured.

This was a patch, and it's rumoured there will be updates, but at the moment it needs more work, we want to create our own races in the play and help thread!! Online time trials aren't quite the same...

Other Thoughts
    I wish there were license tests in this Prologue. I haven't tried my MOMO Racing Force steering wheel yet (tonight...)

Score
    Genre defining. It's only a Prologue for the full game but the handling wipes the floor with everything except Richard Burns Rally. The graphics beat pretty much any game you'd care to mention. More to the point I can't put it down, so it has to score very highly as I usually get bored long before completing a game.

10. catisfit

catisfit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    There haven't been many reviews posted in this thread so I reckon it could be reused for the EUR release? Obviously some people have already reviewed and voted but we can post a EUR update if necessary.

11. Hubba-EX

Hubba-EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The Pal release should get a new thread as they are quiet a bit different - with all the added extras.

12. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    First Impressions - Now I love racing games and have put hundreds of hours into the likes of Forza 2, PGR, TDU, etc so there was definately a tinge of excitement about dropping that disk into the drive and letting it spin up into all its glory. Unfortunately it was not quite as straightforward as that, upon dropping the disk in for the first time you are stuck with quite a lengthy install process (this had better not become the norm) which means just leaving it alone for 5 - 10 minutes or so while you go and make a coffee or something. Bit later on in time you switch back only to find that it is now saying there is an update to be applied which you naturally say yes to.... another good wait so flick off and catch up on some TV. Flick back a while later to see a nice "Failed to update" message - super. Okay so not a good start, give up on that and try some racing.

Graphics - for the most part the graphics are very good indeed, I have heard some people mentioning jaggies and such like but I did not notice them so not a concern. The alpine circuit suffers some distracting tearing when it is having to draw the mountains in the distance and the legoland stands and people on Daytona can be a tad offputting. The framerate keeps up a very good pace and does the job nicely. It's just.... I expected better really... this is an engine with limited customisation/colours to deal with on vehicles, no damage model to eat up processor cycles, and certainly not the sophisticated physics model offered by other racers so really some of the lack of detail on surroundings is a surprise overall.

Sound - After being used to other titles the sound definately seems 'off', and is something that needs to be addressed for the actual game. The engine sounds are muted and lack any oomph, the grating squeeling of the tyres is very unrealistic, but by far the worst and most objectionable element of the sound is the awful Jean Michel Jarre meets 2 Unlimited soundtrack accompanying you through the races. It was a long standing bone of contention with Playstation titles in the past that an enforced soundtrack which is completely out of whack with your own preferences was irritating at best, but after two generations of other consoles offering custom soundtracks/OS level playback the fact that it is still missing from the PS3 is scandalous.

Game - Really struggling here as I do kind of want to like the way this plays but it just does not give me the 'complete package' feeling that some others rave about. Went straight for all driving aids off and professional mode and hit the circuit with my first car, the Integra Type R. I always think the very first corner is very enlightening to a game engine and so deliberately tried to overdo it, this tactic has resulted in destruction on other titles but the Type R took the corner like a squeeling Scalextric set which did not seem right (I know those Type R's are good but my mate who put his through a wall before Christmas (prat!) and wrote his off proves that they are not that good) so then I tried some other things such as running two wheels on the grass and two on the road which made no difference at all. Other cars do add some interesting handling though and understeer/oversteer does show through. Collisions, see online later, are very strange and unrealistic though, leaving you generally sliding sideways only to somehow ease back to driving in the right direction with little direct input from yourself. So it does have an impressive physics model, more noticable on some cars than others, but not as impressive to me as other titles out there.

Now though I have to touch onto one of the most contentious issues of the lot and that is the damage model or lack thereof. Argh! Why can't they do it? I no longer buy the old excuse that the manufacturers will not let them model damage since just about every other racer out there with manufacturers models deals with damage from the minor to the major. Not having a damage model frees up a whole load of processor effort (drawing damage and modelling its effect on handling constantly) but it leaves a game lacking, especially one which models itself as "The Real Driving Simulator". The old GT trademarks are back and no matter how much you want to race 'properly' it is simply too rewarding to bounce round a corner or smash into that pesky car in front you cannot get passed not to. This has been an annoyance since the first one and now that the number being bandied around is '5' you would have hoped they would have addressed it.

I do have to mention the controls here and as someone who is far from a fan of the sixaxis trigger layout I was very pleased that you could control the cars via the two analogue sticks, without needing to manipulate bother sticks and triggers at the same time it does avoid the discomfort inherant in the pad design. Didn't realise you could do that in the demo and it is a definate improvement.

Online - Awful!! No let me rephrase that.... **AWFUL!!!!** I had to shut down the PS3 before I smashed something last night because this had wound me up so much. After another couple of attempts to get the update working I finally got it and ventured online. Over a couple of hours I encounter 1/4 to a 1/3 of the time either disconnections from the race or a failure to update at the end. When you do race it is a total joke... people simply barge through you with no pretence of overtaking or racing line, the catchup mechanism renders any skill in passing others a moot point... how many times did I come to the last couple of corners in first place only to be caught by a stream of suddenly jet powered cars that invariably not only passed but sent me flying off in the process. The time penalty system can be rather harsh, unfair, and leave you totally lost as to why you have been given such. I have always avoided leaving online games in the middle in the past but had to do it last night after this ole52 mutt had deliberately swiped me out for the nth time as the race pairing kept aligning us (thankfully after the quit did not see him/her/it again).
    The catchup system makes any attempt at good racing pointless and the lack of damage (and seemingly most peoples determination to exploit that) is the absolute coup de gras. This has been without doubt the worst online racing experience I have had to date and so until there is some aspect of friends only racing and lobbying then it simply is not worth it.

Package - £20... pretty attractive. Well it did actually cost me more than that as I had to buy a new controller to go along with it *groan* but cannot fault the game for that. A reasonable selection of cars (though noticably missing my all time favourite Lotus Esprit), six tracks with most being very good, and very good presentation. Much was made of the GT TV but so far nothing realised as the only option is the opening movie :confused: It all looks very polished and there are no functionality gripes to the menu system.

Overall - For a racing simulation this will not be my first choice to play, for a more arcade type racing experience this will also not be my first choice, and for online racing then this would be quite probably the choice only of desperation. But for that it does have a play me some more edge to it and is without a doubt the game that you would show people who inquired just as to what the PS3 can produce. As a taster of GT5 it shows promise but they do need to address damage and the online implementation in particular before launching what could well be the best console racing game. My experiences with the online implementation make me want to give this a five and if it did not carry the GT name then I do not believe it warrants more than a six, but it does carry the GT name and because of what that has meant in the past going to give this a seven (I honestly do not believe some of the scores given to this so far would have been given as they have had the game been titled something completely different or had been produced by someone else).

13. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Visuals

Simply amazing, the car models are brilliantly detailed, the scenery and track details are crisp and sharp as a razor in 1080p, little detailing like cracks in the road surface tarmac is superb. I would rate this games visuals as a 10/10 for this generation of games consoles. There are 4 racing views to choose from here and all look good but the star of the lot has to be the in-car view. It may not be the easiest to drive with but for visuals it can't be topped. There is a realistic looking through glass effect to this view and when you switch to the rear view, you're shown the rear seats and parcel shelf of the car also. It gives a great feel of actually being in the car. GT5p is Possibly the best looking game I've seen so far on a console.

If I were to level any criticism to the visuals it would probably be the Racing/Braking line. Other than show you the correct line, this feature is not so handy, particularly when it comes to showing you your braking points. Comparing this to Forza 2 where the braking line reacts very well to your input, changing from red to orange to yellow giving you a real idea of when your at the correct speed. Often I was caught unaware in GT5p when it showed a block red racing line when simply laying off the accelarator would suffice. Obviously crash damage would help too but luckily this is on the way.

10/10

Sound

Pretty good ... I turned the racing music off in order to hear my engine noise, this gives you a good idea when to shift up gears. Engine noises are all well represented and change properly dependant on the view you are using. The in-car view comes out on top here again and it is very easy to discern which side of your car another vehicle is passing you on, it's even possible to hear the sound of an A.I. car rolling over the rumble strip beside you.

Crash noises don't deliver as much punch but they are acceptable, I also noticed that there were no real audible difference when enterng or exiting the tunnel on the High Speed Ring map even when driving in the pack, I let this slide on the Elgar Nordwand track as the side is open and may diffuse some of the sound. Hopefully they correct this for the full version and let us hear the engines rumble through and echo through the tunnel.

Menu music is an inoffensive mix of easy listening tunes and there's an equally inoffensive collection of rock tracks.

8/10

Car Handling / Realism

Before I start, I must point out that I have only experienced this game from the Six-Axis controller, so I can't comment on how well this game plays with the Force Feedback Wheels or Playseat.

Frankly, I'm somewhat dissappointed, the accelerator control is cleverly implemented, the right stick gives you good control over acceleration/braking but what it lacks a little is the ability to keep your foot lightly on the accelerator while dabbing the brakes . Your either on the gas or on the brakes, maybe it is possible but I've not found a way yet. The steering stick is my main gripe with this game, I often find it difficult (personally) to point myself into a bend the way I want to and the way I could do no problem with a wheel. I find myself tapping at the left stick in an attempt to smoothly enter a curve and my attempts so far at smoothly controlling the turn has resulted in me having to over-correct one way or the other.

This game cries out for wheel control but unfortunately, I dont have the room or anything to mount the wheel to in my house.

As for the realism of the cars on track, what can I say, you can hit a car at 160mph and both you and the other car will continue on your merry way with little effect. There appears to be no real disadvantage to making contact with either the other cars or the scenery. On one particularly track (Integra Beat 'Em All - Class B) I must have attempted the course about 12 times, only achieving a best of 4th, that was until I lost patience and decided I was just gonna barge my way round the track, overcooking every bend and simply bashing the opposition out of the way ... the result: 3rd Place.

7/10

Gameplay/Fun

Having said all of the above, this game is very good fun. Getting locked in tussles with 3 or 4 AI drivers is plenty good times. The difficulty curve leaves a bit to be desired, I blasted through the B class races winning by half a lap in my newly purchased Nissan GTR (77K) but suddenly hit a brick wall when it comes to the challenges, scraping Silver and Bronze cups. I've enjoyed the game immensely so far though ... the visuals and sound make for a great experience and leaves you with the perfect tool for showing off your AV set-up. I can only imagine what fun some of you other guys with your PJ/Gameseat/Logitech G25 set-ups are having with this game.

Online: I was wary of this feature but it connected me very quickly the first time. I counted about 12 seconds from beginning search to finding me a race. The race went well in lap but turned into the destruction derby I was expecting from the Beginners course in the last lap. There was a bit of lag and jumpiness in the race but due to the inconsequential nature of collisions, it remained a close run thing right to the finishing line. I look forward to private lobbies in the future.

9/10

Menu System

Looks nice and glossy but can be a little cumbersome trying to change cars and the like. The ability to sort the cars in your garage by power, weight, etc would be handy Not a huge amount of options to choose from at present. Hopefully this will change in future updates and GT5.

Summary

A very good game and a great taster of whats to come. You do always have a nagging feeling that this is an extended demo or Final Beta test but already it has succeded in lifting the graphical benchmark for racing games and PS3 games in general. I feel it needs a few tweaks and I hope that PolyPhony listen to the gaming publics views in order to make the full release game something extra special.

Some may not like the careful racing nature of games like GT5p and Forza 2 but they are right up my street and I rate these higher than any of the more arcadey PGR / Ridge Racer games.

Overall Score : 8.5 / 10 :thumbsup:

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    My review of the PAL release is as follows :-

Graphics:

1080p, 60fps, superbly detailed cars, great interior views and very accurately created locations create a world which is a joy to drive within. Some of the texture detail in the environments isn't up to the superb standard set by the cars, but overall it's hard not to be blown away by the visuals in this game. :)

9.5/10

Audio:

The music is generally pants, but music in racing games always gets turned off PDQ with me anyway. The engine sounds are stunning though and blow away the rather generic sounds from games like Forza 2. Environmental effects do the job as well as any other game and overall the sound is of a good standard.

8/10

Car Physics:

Now you can tell where the time has gone into GT5's development so far and the physics model has been (rightly) at the top of the list. The professional physics setting is just mind blowing and when combined with a good racing wheel the level of realism is just staggering. I'll say no more apart from..

10/10

Environmental Physics:

No damage model yet exists in GT5p, but they say that damage will be incorporated very soon. It's always going to be a controversial area until the include it, but personally i would always rather have the car physics spot on and limited environmental physics if I had to choose. I do feel that they need to encorporate this at some stage though. The physics that occur when you hit something and spin out, or when you end up off road are pretty good but the lack of damage will always mark down this area.

5/10

Gameplay:

In a nut shell, this is the most fun i've had playing a video game since I first dabbled with the likes of Pong, Space invaders, Asteroids and Frogger in the late 70's, early 80's. For the first time ever I really feel that i'm sat in the seat of a 400 bhp+ sports car, hurtling round a race track. Sure my G25 & Playseat setup have a lot of responsibility for that, but this game shares that responsibility equally. I can play this for hours and hours just racing the same track and car to get better & better times without getting bored and basically I just love it!

10/10

Online:

Sure PD are still developing the online for GT5 and the version we have in GT5p currently lacks private races, voice chat etc. but the foundations of a great service are there. The matchmaking works really fast (for me) and the races run well with little lag. The penalty system works well (when in force), as does the car ghosting on the whole. You will always get idiots, but the races i've had have been pretty clean bar the odd fool. It's a great start and online is certainly going to be a massive part of the final game. For now it's certainly a work in progress but i'd give it...

7/10

Presentation:

Spot on really. They have improved some nagging issues from the Japanese release (i.e. having to go all the way to the garage to swap a car and then back through the menu's to the race screen). The speed of the menu's is also improved (especially the online menu) and everything is presented is a slick and attractive manner.

9/10

Overall:

The overall score as an average from the above is 8.4/10 and if the game is look at from that angle then I guess that is pretty fair. It's obviously a work in progress and for a game in it's situation to score so highly at this stage is pretty amazing really. On the previous rating scale I gave it a 10/10 as a genre defining title and would stick by that score in that context. There's no other racing game that comes close to this IMO and in terms of gameplay, physics and graphics it certainly defines the sim racing genre and stands head and shoulders above the competition. The good things are that PD have the difficult bits spot on (i.e. the online servers, gameplay, physics etc.) and if they can add in a more fleshed out online side and car damage to the full game then they would have pretty much as near as perfect a racing sim as you can get.

GT5 is without question my most anticipated game, not just of recent times, but ever and I really hope they get it right. I'm sure PD will do however and the signs from GT5p are extremely encouraging. :thumbsup:

15. DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    5/10

Graphics are nice enough, needs to evolve though and that hasnt happened at all since the first GT.

still no car damage, no weather etc...

still drives like the original, all the cars seem to feel the same.

Forza2 is far far better imo as a driving game and PGR is far better as an arcade racer.

16. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Could I ask how you conclude that this is better than Forza2? I know this is the PS3 forum but I'd be interested to here how you can give half a game a 10/10 when it has only a fraction of what Forza offers. I dont think the physics or the sound come close to Forza and obviously 80% of what Forza offers isnt even in this 'teaser' It does have slightly better visuals but surely its whats underneath that matters?

I know you play/ed Forza2, and I know youve been telling us for a klong time how wonderful GT5 is going to be but be honest, what does this do better?

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    The physics and handling are just way better than what Forza 2 offers IMO. There's little point arguing however, i've posted my views and you can post yours but if we argue then all we get is a thread of Forza 2 is better, no GT5p is better, but Forza 2 has better physics, no GT5 has much better physics. If I preferred Forza 2 (like I thought I would before I played this) then I would play that. I don't so I play GT5p.

After the disappointing GT4, GT5p has been a really pleasant surprise to me and when it comes to racing games there's no other game i'd rather play. :)

18. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    This is already being discussed in the following thread so lets keep the discussion there and not bring it into this thread. IMO Forza 2 shouldn't be compared to GT5P which is essentially a glorified demo in the first place but people insist on doing it. So I'm going to nip this discussion in this thread in the bud now. I will probably move these posts to that thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734060

19. SparkShot

SparkShot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I gave this a 9.

If it was a full-price game it would a 7 or 8 due to lack of tracks, a few little graphics bugs here and there and the online mode needing private races and comms.

The price of the thing (£16 for me) brings my score back up though as you can't beat this games quality per quid ratio.

20. stevebrillo

stevebrillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    9/10 from me :thumbsup:

21. pbb76

pbb76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,509
    Not much to say which hasnt been said before!

I am loving this game. I've played all the GTs before, but I'm not one to put hours and hours into a game, so I wouldnt call myself a massive fan.

GT5 however just *does* it for me. Great graphics, (mostly) smooth framerate and I just love the in-car view which has always been my favourite viewpoint (Forza take note!)

The UI is really nice too - bit sad, but as a PS3 owner who proudly displays the PS3 and widescreen monitor etc, I must say the UI appeals to the generation of "PS3 showoffs" to me, nice HD shine :)

I'm using the G25 wheel, which when combined with clutch and H-Shifting in game comes close to the most immersive game I've ever played.

I've not even ventured online yet - partly due to the problems people have been moaning about and partly because I am having so much fun offline with the single player events and time-trials.

I'd rather wait till they sort the online out (at least lobbies), so we can race like-minded people without the idiots.

So overall - for ~£20, this is an awesome package, even with the minor flaws - which we all hope will be ironed out over the next 12 months. Which should hopefully leave us with the ultimate driving game of all time.

9/10 for me. :thumbsup:

22. Jacksonjnr

Jacksonjnr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    A fine game that looks great and probably the most realistic driving model yet but not enough innovation in the car acquisition dept for my liking. I have also noticed a few framerate issues but overall a good but could do better game

8/10

23. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    i gave this a 6 from myself.looks nice enough,very very very nice, but it just doesn't have the pull to make you want to play and play and play it imho.its been sat to the side while everybodys golf and nhl 2k8 have been hammered.i recently got a ds3 pad and the rumble is an absolute must for racing games (especially this one) and while i played it for about 30 minutes after getting the pad i was straight back onto golf/hockey.maybe i forza`ed myself out,maybe i will be more forgiving when the full game comes out,but for now its in the "meh" section of my games.

a few frame rate issues,the NEED (imho) for a rumble pad (another £30,i know you can use a std pad) and the cpu AI can really get on your tits in a big way at times.im glad i tried it for myself but its just more of the same from all the other GT games.

24. lfc1394

lfc1394

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    8/10 for me.

It's visuals are stunning, I have not experienced any of tearing or frame rate issues others have, but that maybe because I’m too busy concentrating on getting the next bend right.

The lack of damage does effect my overall score but, it does not detract too much from the excellent physics model and I think that the game is still hard enough. If it was made too easy by the lack of damage I think I would mark it down further.

The only other gripe is the money side of it. It’s a pain having to save up so much to get the cars that you want. A big cash reward for completing a series would be better than the cars you are given.

Also the re-sale value of the cars should be more realistic.

These are however minor gripes that will hopefully be corrected in the full game.

All in all this is as good as armchair racing gets and considering this is just prologue I have very high hopes for the final version.

25. mook1979

mook1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought GT5 and Burnout Paradise, expecting to enjoy Bournout more, but totally fell for GT5. I can not get enough of the brilliant, lifelike graphics and the large selection of cars. I have not played it very long or read very much on this forum, but I love it.