1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gran Turismo 4 Worst GT EVER!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by AML, Jan 15, 2005.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    OH MY GOD! I just spent the last 8 hours playing this and it was all for nothing! :mad: :mad: :mad:

They have this game rigged so badly that they make it impossible to clear.

I wonder if they actually still play test games coz if they had play tested this it would never have come out in this state.

First of all, the AI is still the worst in a racing game ive ever seen.
    The cars hug their racing line so badly that they blatantly push you out of their way just to get back in. Ive lost many races becoz of this stupid bug.

STILL no car damage.

And the whole money system is so frustrating. I spent 8 hours racing the same bloody races again and again just to earn enough money to buy a car I need. I ended up upgrading the engine of my car and it still wasnt fast enough. It turns out it would have been cheaper to buy a different faster car! But since the game autosaves every 5 bloody seconds I couldnt go back to buy that car instead! :mad:

What the hell is that all about? Should it be necesary for some one to keep doing the same races just to earn enough money to buy the next car you need to clear another race?

Cmon Sony you can do better than this.

All they have done with this GT is made the graphics nicer. The game play is actually worse than GT3.

Avoid this game like the plague! :censored: Sony!

2. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think its very good.

Why didn't you turn the auto-save off?

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I thought the autosave would make it easyer so I didnt have to manually do it every time i cleared a race. but I see it was a mistake. yes, a mistake to buy this bloody waste of time.

You will need to do better than "I think its very good" to counter all the negative things ive said!

4. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    But imo the points you've made arn't that bad.

Why should i be bothered about damage if i don't like crashing?

Yes the AI is bad,but 90% of my time is spent doing time trials and watching the beautiful replays.1080i :thumbsup:

I would have paid £40 for the Nurburgring and RUF Yellow bird alone.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Doesn't sound like that much of a step up from GT3?

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    That doesnt stop the game from being bad.

Yes it is beautiful in 1080i but that alone doesnt make a good game.

What happens when high def games become a standard?

No matter how amazing a game looks, that wont save it from being badly made.

The GT series is supposed to be about realism. Well, dont cars crash in reality? Dont cars take damage when they do crash?

Wheres the realism in GT4? Cars bump you off the course without a scratch, then go on to win? No penalty?
    Again, where IS the realism?

Doesnt GT4 say "The REAL Driving Simulator" ??? Simulator my :censored:

Project Gotham Racing 2 is a far better game, both more realistic and just as nice looking as GT4. Forza with any luck will be even better.

Boo to Sony for trying to sell a game on eye candy alone.
    You would think they would know better.

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt hold your breathe mate about forza.
    from what ive seen and limited play on it. its not in the same league as GT.
    and to be honest ive never felt that pgr2 has ever challenged the first GT games at all.
    im yet to clap eyes on GT4 so cant comment on that.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Dont a majority of car dealerships allow thier cars to be used as long as Sony do not implement damage into the game.

I can recall reading this years ago.

Cap :)

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Yes , that seems about right. Then all the people that play the game will think that if they crash the car in real life they will be invinceable :D

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Where are you guys getting GT4 from?
    I thought it wasn't out until end of Feb. I've been waiting for this game for 18 months while Sony continually reschedule the release date.

11. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I got the Japanese version.

12. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    why can you wreck ferraris,classic fords,porshce`s etc etc on PGR2?i took this review from ddvforum and it seems to be echoing what most reviews are sayin.for the amount of delays this game has received i find it more than dissapointing they havent done much worth note.

quick summary of gt4

The Good
    Superb graphics
    Slightly refined handling over GT3, feels great
    Some brilliant new circuits, including the FULL Nurburgring
    480p progressive scan and 1080i (!) HiDef support
    Old tracks from Gran Turismo 1 make a welcome return
    The post-race ranking tables with bhp and weight return
    Probably around the same amount of cars as GT2 - ie, hundreds but do we really need VW Lupos and Ford Kas?
    A proper LAN racing mode (so why no online?)
    Some very interesting cars in there, including the original Model T Ford and numerous 50s and 60s spaz wagons
    The used cars from the first two Gran Turismos are back
    Non-race 'missions' in the Simulation mode are a nice addition
    You can't blag inappropriate cars into races as you could before - so no Evos in the British races, and no tin-tops in a convertible race etc etc

The Bad
    That horrible glitching as seen in GT4 Prologue is still there, though you don't appear to get it in progressive scan
    The car AI still seems to be the same as ever it was, ie bad
    Aside from Laguna Seca, all the GT3 tracks appear to be virtually identical
    No impact damage, or even a performance hit after a prang
    Still no proper Porsches or Ferraris as far as I can see
    You can still smash into cars instead of over-taking. There's a five second penalty for doing this, but most of the time you still come out a winner - and indeed sometimes there is no five second penalty
    No penalty for smacking into the side of the track
    There's a stupid Nike concept car supposedly from the year 2024 in there :rolleyes:
    Just feels too samey - it feels like the best of all the previous GTs bunged into one massive new game
    Most crucially of all, winning races still seems to be about trumping the other cars in terms of bhp or weight

So I'm in two minds about the game really. I like it because it's Gran Turismo, but it's too much like all its predecessors. The fact that they introduced the five second penalty for smacking opponents shows Polyphony knows about the problems with the game but they seem to take half-measures or NO measures to deal with them.

This game really needed online play to lift it above the previous instalments, but its omission just makes you feel that it's all definitely more of the same. It's absolutely spectacular to look at, superb to play, but having put the controller down for the day, I wouldn't be that upset if I never played it again. I'm almost tempted to say that there's nothing in this game as an experience that you couldn't get from GT3.

very dissapointing imho.

13. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if theres a lan racing mode, im guessing that with the help of these tunnelling programs available, playing gt4 online so to speak will be possible
    :)

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Why would anyone in 2005 want to play a racing game that isn't either online or the vehicles don't receive any damage? :eek:

Especially for a racing "simulation"!

15. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    have to agree,and while i dont play games online myself its a terrible mistake not to include the feature myself and which ever way you church it up no car damage or even loss of car perfomance is laughable imo.

16. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    When you look at the good points it seems a bit padded out, i mean there doesnt appear to be anything new in there over other previous racing games.

17. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so would you prefer a poor quality game that just has dents and scratches in it then?
    or a truly playable racing game?
    im saying this without playing GT4 btw.
    but for me, id prefer the gameplay etc opposed to the damage the car gets.

18. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    yeah but why trade off? why should we have to do without something as simple as damage?its not that hard and its not like no other racer has it is it.4 generations of game and still no damage :nono: seems to me its just laziness.

19. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe its a priority thing though, as you say it should be there to complete the simulation and in a way i agree with that, but at the end of the day its up to the people behind the game to include it or not not us, were just the ones that either love it or hate it.
    and it may be due to the reason mentioned before about the car manufacturers asking for no damage.
    id rather have real cars in the game then cars out of burnout etc.
    i dont know if that reason is true or not.
    we shouldnt have to trade off components of a game but like i say before id prefer how the actual game played rather than the little extra bits on top like damage etc.
    having no damage never made me hang up my pad from GT1 on the psone, and i still hold that high in my all time favourite racing games.
    the priority with gt4 may have been to get the game rock solid, if it is, maybe it was a time thing - they may not have had enough time to include the damage as like you say this is the fourth game now not to have it so it would have to be built into this game from scratch. prolonging the delay even more which would not have helped sales with the PS2 coming to the end of its lifespan.

20. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i do see your point of view and it is valid but imho the "they wont let us put damage on the car" is a cop out comment.why can i wreck a modena a porsche a jaguar or any other car on PGR2 but not on GT4 ?with the other 3 releases the damage issue was not really a problem but now there simply is no excuse for it.with a quote like "driving simulation" how the hell can you not have damage lol.there where 3 reasons for me to own a ps2,1 pro evo,2 GTA,3 GT4 and with the first 2 coming or on the box and this new gt4 lacking i think i will probably not be bothering paying £40 for a game that hasnt really come any further than its last incarnation.

they have really dropped the ball on this release imho and see no reason why it has been delayed so long its simply a rehash with a couple of bells and whistles.

21. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is no feeling of speed in any of the ps2 gt games they run so slow.
    they may look nice but they are pushing the poor 5 year old machine too far.

180mph shouldnt feel like 25 mph

22. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agreed, this does sound like a lame excuse.and when other games can do it, it makes you think what have the car makers got against sony etc. i was just trying to say that damage to the car in a racing game cant be the be all and end all can it? yeah its a nice frill to it, but not the core of the game imo.
    :)

23. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    HAHAH :devil: See?
    Waste of time. Now im off to sell my copy on e-bay.....

Lets hope that with GT5 (coz im sure there will be :rolleyes: ) Sony decide to make this a propper driving simulator.

Hopefully the PS3's extra power will allow them to make it as it should be.

24. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Had an e-mail today from GAME, who I've got a pre-order on with, saying the release date for the UK has been put back again to 18th March.

Surprised to hear about the five second penalty thing. Do the AI cars get penalised for slamming into you ? This was one of my biggest frustrations in GT3, you try to corner properly ie slow in - fast out, and the other numpties pile into the back of you at the apex because they go in way to fast.

Still, even if GT4 turns out to be just GT3 with more circuits and tweaked graphics, that would be good enough for me!

25. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    delayed huh,maybe there putting damage in for the uk release :laugh: cant believe you would be happy with a gt3 rehash with extra tracks for £40 :rolleyes:

26. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Its all about money microsoft pay extra to the manufacturer so they let them have damage in there games sony doesnt seem to bother.

27. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    If anyone's complaining about damage then they obviously dont know about the history of GT4 or the GT series. If they had damage in the game, they wouldnt have the agreement of nearly enough of the car makers to put those cars in. That hasnt changed with GT4.

Porsche and Ferrari have never been in the game, and although whispers where heard about negotiations with Ferrari, that changed when they signed to star in Project Gotham. Porsche on the other hand makes an appearence under the RUF banner.

I have to agree with dvdmike007, remember the PS2 is the best part of four years old now, but even so what weve seen of GT4 IS impressive... even so, from what weve heard about Forza Motorsport, a delayed, off-line GT4 is still looking like it will be rated better than the Microsoft backed, newer, Forza Motorsport.. not very impressive at all..

..im still probably going to get both games though.. GT4 because Ive played and completed all versions before, and Forza because theres a serious lack of racing games on the Xbox..

28. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Damage is impossible on GT4. There are over 700 cars. The DVD is already at 9GB. There just isn't room for damage modeling. IF there were damage in GT4 it would have to be very well realised...certainly as well done as the damage modeling in Colin McRae 5. But that isn't possible with GT4 as the PS2 can't do that with 6 cars with 5000 polys each and runing at 60fps. As for its title as The Real Driving Simulator I always assumed it meant that it simulated realistic handling and car control not crashes or even realistic racing.

I think some people don't realise that a lot of GT4 can be changed. For example the 5 second penalty can be changed. And there is a visual effect of screen blur and loss of control if you hit barriers etc at speed. AI can also be altered. Also if you win races with a lower powered car you earn more points etc. If your car has the same power-to-weight ratio as the opposition then if you lose it's because either your strategy and settings are wrong or you're not as good. It would be a good idea if people with the game could understand what all the options meant as they are all in Japanese (or Chinese)! Find some translations!

A lot of the subtleties of GT4 are probably lost on those who want a game with pick up and play appeal. GT4 is the opposite of that. There is a huge amount of different racing types from LMP racing cars, Rally cars (on dirt, tarmac and snow), GT cars, Drag Racing (with lots of NOS) as well as a huge selection of road cars from the Ford Model T to the McLaren-Mercedes SLR. Add to that a wealth of modes like B-Spec, Mission and Photo and I see a game that will take months to complete.
    There is also plenty of new tracks, more than there were in GT3; around 50 or so altogether. As far as I know it's the only racing game with the full Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit AND two versions of Le Mans (called La Sarthe in the game).
    I have my crticisms of the game; some car engine and exhaust sounds are still not accurate or realistic. The licence tests can be a chore to do. But I really can't complain about the game at all.

It's a shame some have'nt got into the game and really enjoyed it. There is so much on offer. Well, if I had a Jap PS2 I'd certainly visit Ebay to find a copy!! :smashin:

29. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gotham and forza manage it let them make up there own excuses like the ps2 cant handle the admitdly great graphics and the damage at once

30. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It will be interesting to see how well done car damage is in Forza. As long as it actually affects car handling and performance then that'll be good (unlike in PGR where damage was purely visual). Also, as Honda feature in Forza it will be revealing if their cars show damage. Honda have been quite unwilling in the past.

I have'nt played PGR2, but I was under the impression car damage was taken out for the game. Anyway, one area GT4 is certainly superior in is its frame rate. Poor old Forza trundles away at 30fps, whereas GT4 flies at 60fps. I must say the smoothness of a racing game is more important to me then anything else.

As for GT4 being the worst GT ever.....I think it would have been better to play it in English! :laugh: Even GT3 takes ages to get anywhere in the beginning. Plus it is quite possible that Polyphony Digital have purposely made GT4 more difficult than GT3. GT3 had a lot in common with GT2 and was fairly easy to play. It looks like GT4 is not. But that's fine. I like a challange!