1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gran Turismo 4 supports 1080i in game

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by richard plumb, Dec 28, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    See this thread for info (but skip to the last few pages to avoid the flames)
    Gaming age thread

Now, there is some argument about what is 'true' 1080i, and I don't have the facts, so thought someone here might be able to help.

With something like 480p in widescreen, the source image is still 4:3 and the TV stretches it to the correct aspect ratio. Is this the same with 1080i, or is the original source image actually 1920x1080i?

2. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    the idea of a PS2 outputting a new game in 1080i scares the hell out of me. it has enough trouble doing 576i ! everyone knows sony overhyped their underpowered hardware, proving us right isn't the best idea. there's virtually no 1080i games for the xbox, and with reason too.. the xbox trounces the ps2 in hardware specs and simply isn't up to the job for recent titles.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I can confirm that GT4 Does in fact have 1080i and ive tried it.

It looks stunning and doesnt slow the game down one bit.

When you select the 1080i option, the system must be set to widescreen. It cant be set back to 4:3.

There is a catch to the progresive and 1080i settings though. They only work while in an actual race. When your in the options menu it sets itself back to 525i.

I had to turn off 1080i coz it kept jumpin in and out of the the two modes which CANT be good for your TV. Its not like the xbox where it jumps to say 720p when you put the game on and stays that way untill you finish.

If the TV has to keep changin every 1 or 2 minutes im sure eventually it will damage the tv. I will only use 1080i once ive cleared all the short "licences" in the game and go on to the longer races that last more than 30 sec!

4. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    yeah NFSU2 on the xbox annoyed me at first, because the xbox was sending a 16x9 with side letterboxed 4x3 menus.. until it started up and it was in true 16x9 then. much better way of doing it, cos i agree.. i don't like switched between i/P footage etc, altho i'm not sure of any damage it could do personally.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Please help me understand the source of your knowledge that changing modes damages a display.

StooMonster