• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Grainy plasma advice please

TomBowyer

Standard Member
Hi,
I have just purchased a Panasonic 50" plasma (TH-50PZ81B) and would like some advice please.

I have setup the TV for my room (brightness, contract, colour etc) yet the TV appears to have a grainy "film" to it. On moving pictures its not so bad but on still images (such as the computer screen or viewing pictures) I can see a visibly grain effect.

It is the same whether running at 720p or 1080p and no difference between the PS3, XBOX360 or PC as sources.

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on this please? Ive prevsiouly used a 40" LCD, is this grainy effect just something to expect from plasmas?

Tom.

tvbox

Distinguished Member
The Grainy effect could be down to quality of cable used, or tv channel. SD pictures may have this effect, there is no 100% way of getting rid of it.

Stand further back, then it will not be so noticable, as 50" sets were designed to be more than 7ft away.

I don't know why, but all TVs i have seen has this problem, from a Pana 42X10 plasma to a £1500 Sony LCD both when showing freeview. Why?:confused:
My CRT does not have this problem whatsoever:thumbsup:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
That's down to the compression on Freeview broadcasts :(

TomBowyer

Standard Member
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

However, the sources I am using are blu-ray, a media center PC, an xbox 360 and a PS3 (all sources are 1080p), using decent quality HDMI cables (although as I understand there is no real "quality" difference as HMDI is digital).

I am using a monster power cleaner (8 way socket thing), ive check that the cables are free to move and not all bundled up.

Sitting further back does help, and although no one else really notices I can see the grainy effect for sure.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Tom.

alsina

Prominent Member
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

However, the sources I am using are blu-ray, a media center PC, an xbox 360 and a PS3 (all sources are 1080p), using decent quality HDMI cables (although as I understand there is no real "quality" difference as HMDI is digital).

I am using a monster power cleaner (8 way socket thing), ive check that the cables are free to move and not all bundled up.

Sitting further back does help, and although no one else really notices I can see the grainy effect for sure.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Tom.

What picture settings are you using?

sampo

Established Member
Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on this please? Ive prevsiouly used a 40" LCD, is this grainy effect just something to expect from plasmas?

You are seeing dithering noise. It's typical for plasmas and can be seen clearly with good quality feeds.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom