1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grainy Picture.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stuart, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Stuart

Stuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,008
    I have recently purchased a Tosh 42WP27B from RS, and am generally very pleased with with it.
    I have noticed a problem though;
    When viewing DVDs through component, the picture often appears grainy, especially in darker scenes and in very bright scenes. Some of the discs that highlight this problem are;

R2 MINORITY REPORT
    R2 DOG SOLDIERS
    R2 DOORS:SPECIAL EDITION
    R1 XXX

However, some discs look outstanding; R2 Star Wars Ep.2, R1 Spiderman, R1 Gladiator.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or found a way to improve the quality with picture settings etc.
    I do not believe that it is a disc quality problem, because they looked much better when viewed on my previous CRT TV (a Tosh 32" widescreen) with my previous DVD player, a Pioneer 515.

Is it possible that my new DVD player is the cause, LIMIT 9900SE.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Minority Report is definitely a grainy style DVD. You will find everyone had the same experience. It has been filmed this way. Equally Starwars and Gladiator are very clean outstanding DVDs.
    Not sure about the other that you mention but I do not believe there is anything wrong with your equipment.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like costas said minority report is very grainy film, and dog soldiers is to some thing about useing second hand film(dont ask i dont under stand either) the other 2 i notice were r1 i have a few r1 and then seen the r2 version and thought thats better, but i have thought this the other way round,

ps it could well be the limit of your limit ive had a few bargain dvd players and to say they dont excactly bring out the best in your plasma ,

i noticed a huge differance when i changed to a philips 962sa pro scan from a lecson 1000 cheap pro scan thing , so maybe you could borrow a player to try them on

hope this helps

4. Stuart

Stuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,008
    Thanks for your comments.
    It is looking like I may have to invest in a higher-end DVD player.

I was possibly a little optimistic about getting the perfect picture from a budget player, even if it does support progressive scan.